TKR Worse condition of knee the longer the recovery ??

jtstag

Country
United States United States
Hi.

I am having my second TKR on August 13. My first one had me off work six weeks. A coworker of mine was back in three weeks (still don't think he should have been back that soon) .An orthopedic RN told my wife that typically the worse the condition of the knee before surgery the longer and more painful the recovery. Has anyone else heard of this ? thanks

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
@jtstag Welcome Back to BoneSmart! :welome:
An orthopedic RN told my wife that typically the worse the condition of the knee before surgery the longer and more painful the recovery.
Depends on the person and the condition of their knee. Some members have had a difficult recovery because the waited to have their first joint replacement, for the second one they did not wait and reported an easier recovery.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @jtstag - and :welome: back.

If the surgeon has to do a lot of work during surgery, that can make recovery a bit harder.

However, since complete recovery takes a full year, it probably all evens out in the end.

You'll be able to do most things long before that year is up, bur healing will still be going on beneath the surface.

We recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work if possible.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@jtstag I think no two knees are alike.
Some people have easier recoveries and others it takes longer, some due to more complex surgeries find it harder and others due to their lifestyle, health and fitness levels, find it easier.
So it is a tough one to generalize on.

I would certainly have my 2nd knee done in a flash as the benefits I am now having compared to a year ago are amazing and I know it can still only get better with time.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom