THR Worries about pain and recovery<

I'm sure you've heard, or read here, that it's advised you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. Just continue to mindfully practice and I'm sure it will come.

If you keep struggling with pain, consider scheduling an appointment with the consultant, or surgeon rather than rely on the word of Physio. You may even want to step away from Physio for a time in case something you're doing there is causing, or aggravating it.

As far as side sleeping, it took me several months also. I'm not even sure I was brave enough to try any sooner and when I finally did, it was uncomfortable so I had to slowly ease into it. Here is an article -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/

You'll get there, this recovery biz can take some major patience for sure. Hang in there!
@Misscarol

Thankyou Layla...read the article...very helpful ..only seeing a physio every 2 weeks and doing minimal bed and counter excersizes. Using walking as my main excersize. Saw consultant 2 weeks ago and he said , it will take longer because of previous complications and scar tissue....patience.....:bored:

Also...am doing the heel toe walking...it does take effort...thanks again....:angel:

I have walked the kitchen and sitting room several times tonight unaided....l am with my wonderful cousin , who said ....relax your shoulders and whole body (apparently my shoulders were up near my chin ) and walk and l did:yes!:.....she said my whole body was so tense....why didn't the physio see that last week ????.....slight limp and hip still sore...but l feel a million dollars tonight....know theres more work to do....but...l had got to the point of thinking:yikes: that l was never going to walk again...honestly...onwards and upwards my friends...of l can give one word of advice to anyone in a similar situation (hope it doesn't bite me on the bum tomorrow).......relax and loosen up before ...seems obvious now !! Relax your shoulders , neck , head and breath from your stomach......my cousin said...your whole face has changed. .all the drawn tension has gone away....l had dragging lines at the side of my cheeks...they have gone !!!...tomorrow is another day and we "hippies" know things can change , but for now....l am very happy.....sweet dreams everyone....this is one hell of a rollercoaster ride.....

My heart goes out to you. Yes it is a rollarcoaster ride. I’m a little over 5 weeks n every day it’s something new. Just have to stay positive, think positive and speak positive. We are healing and everything is going to heal and we shall be pain free. Thank God.
God bless yo.

:)So glad you are gaining confidence in your new hip.
2 months down and lots of improvements to come.:tada:

Expect the ups and downs and having experienced some already, you know there's a beginning and an end.
The roller coaster ride will level out....this is all temporary.
Enjoy the day!
@Misscarol

Layla...a bit worried...after the walking..probably 10mins...all in all...l am suffering today....pain in hip going into middle thigh and into calf !!! Also pain in base of back...All things l read say could possibly be loose implant !!! Or could it just be lm not ready , as was still slightly limping...and have overdone it...lm scared :scare:my consultant is 200 miles away , as l am now at home...

Oh, @Misscarol, hope some rest will go far to ease the discomfort. I am sure it sometimes feels like "one step forward, two steps back". Take a deep breath, relax and slow down your pace. You WILL recover, but I am sure it must feel like a long, slow slog. Hang in there!

I'm sorry @Misscarol
After two months you should be able to walk more than 10 minutes. Please don't jump to the conclusion you have a loose implant. I'm sure that's not the case. I'm wondering if you engaged in any unusual activity or exercises yesterday, or today? It sounds like you put in some time walking differently yesterday as you practiced with your cousin watching, through your description above. Perhaps you were engaging sleepy muscles and are feeling the after affects today. I'm sure with some dedicated icing and rest, it will ease. Possibly OTC pain relief also while you're hurting if you're not already taking something. Please try not to stress.
Wishing you comfort and relief.

Thankyou Layla...yesterday was the first time...apart from a small 6-8feet in bathroom previously..l have walked unaided...its the pain going into front of calf, lve never experienced.???....l so appreciate your feedback...:friends:

Ps...forgot, l didn't say it was first time unaided without stick....possibly...just not ready...still was limping.....

Well, there you go. Most likely that was it. I'm quite sure no damage was done other than the discomfort you've described. It's advised you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping. You can practice heel toe walking with your cane. Get close to your best friend > :ice: with your feet up and I'll bet it slowly eases.
@Misscarol

Will do...thankyou once again....your a star :angel:

When are you scheduled for a followup?
Is it possible to at least call surgeons office to keep them abreast of your concerns so that they have record of it should you decide to pursue an earlier appointment?
I know the years of soldiering on with bad gait and posture, brought on some new aches and pains when recovering. This is very likely and as Layla said, do stay with cane until leg feels stronger...but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to contact OS if you see things worsening.

Hope today is a good day

I did get in touch with surgeon Mojo...he said..because my surgery was complex , due to previous complications...to use a cane for at least 2 months due to weakness and imbalance in main hip muscle (abducter) with previous surgery etc...he has suggest limited stationary cycling and pilates type core exercises??? Does this sound right ??? He said it could be 6mknths before lm home and dry :scare:...leg muscles just not strong enough yet.....

I did get in touch with surgeon Mojo...he said..because my surgery was complex , due to previous complications...to use a cane for at least 2 months due to weakness and imbalance in main hip muscle (abducter) with previous surgery etc...
I'm sorry if I had forgotten you mentioned this before. It sounds like your biggest hurdle may be staying patient and while this all gets sorted.
It is still early days.
Try not to worry and stay positive.
Maybe try the bike with no tension and see how it feels?

Layla has a great tip for measuring progress weekly vs daily...can be less frustrating.
Hope today is a good day.

Last edited:
Oh, patience, @Misscarol, it's something we all need during the tedious recovery process. With a complex operation and the admonition that it might take longer than others, I am sure it can be frustrating. But celebrate the small victories, like a short unaided walk even if it wasn't terribly successful. Hang in there, you are going to get better--it's just a long haul.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom