Reverse Shoulder Replacement Worried about sling

Restoguy

Country
United States United States
Greetings,
I feel this is an odd question but I'm getting a reverse shoulder replacement on Monday the 27th on March and im told ill wake with a sling and possibly a cushion under the sling? Anyway i feel embarrassed lol but, I'm really claustrophobic and thinking of waking up like a mummy has me really anxious...

any feedback or experience I would really appreciate!

@Restoguy The sling is not too bad. Yes there usually is a padded bolster to it but it is not terribly confining. When I had each of my shoulders done the sling/bolster stuck out about 1' from my body. I was told I could take it off to shower, dress, and do some gentle "swing the arm" exercises. I only needed to wear the sling for about 3-4 weeks. The purpose of the sling is to hold the shoulder in a particular position as specified by your surgeon while initial healing takes place.

Personally I did not find it "mummy-ish" or uncomfortable .... merely a bit awkward.

@Restoguy Welcome to BoneSmart! I changed your thread title so that members who have experience with this recovery can come and give you input.

As Deb posted, the sling really isn't anything tight. It's just to hold the joint in place in the initial stages of healing. Discuss your concern with staff. They will make sure you are comfortable.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back