Worried About My Upcoming Double Hip Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

First time doing this so pplease forgive me. I am having my first consult for dual hip replacements. I am 59, and my left is completely degenerated and the right is on its way, si I figure get them both at the same time. I don't know if I can handle the pain, and I don't know the recovery time (scheduled to go to Kauai in October for our 35 th) On top of all that, I have REM sleep disorder that does not allow me to stay in one place, so I know i will have to be restrained the entire time. I am scared

Hi, Johnny. Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. You have come to the right place to get information and lots of support as you go forward with your surgery. We have a great group of folks who have been where you are. We all were scared before our procedures - fear of the unknown is awful! But once you get your questions answered and hear from other hippies who made it just fine, you'll be more calm.

I moved your post to its own thread so your comments would get more attention and not derail the other thread. You'll be hearing from people soon.

Hi Johnny. I am a knee person so I don't know that much about hips. But there are others on here that had their hips done and are very happy. I think you will do better then you think. Others will post soon to give advice. But Im sure you will be just fine, please post anytime with a question or just to chat . Someone is always here day or night. Whether knee or hip we all get scared, its ok we have all been there......Good Luck to you !!!

Hi Johnny,
I had my right hip replaced last summer. It is normal to be scared, the waiting is the hardest part. Once you have a good surgeon, the outcome for hip replacements is so good you will be pain free and happy. Maybe Jo our wonderful nurse can address your sleep issue.
I can tell you I love my new hip and always have:wub: I have other medical issues and still need to strengthen the hip muscles, but it works just great for hiking long distances, swimming, bike riding, and just bending!!!
judy

Johnny--I was in a very similar position in January 2009. I had bilat THR on April 1, 2009. I also was very, very nervous as, at 51 y.o., this was my first surgery of any kind. To state it simply, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
As for the bilateral surgery, find a surgeon who has experience doing bilats, if, in fact, you need both. As for your 35th and your ability to travel following surgery, well that depends on a lot of factors, including when you have the surgery. I recovered quite quickly and at 3 months post op now I feel great with only occasional issues. Others have had slower progress. I would schedule a consult ( and probably more than 1) soon and ask your surgeon about it once you decide on one.
Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Tom

First time doing this so pplease forgive me. I am having my first consult for dual hip replacements. I am 59, and my left is completely degenerated and the right is on its way, si I figure get them both at the same time. I don't know if I can handle the pain, and I don't know the recovery time (scheduled to go to Kauai in October for our 35 th) On top of all that, I have REM sleep disorder that does not allow me to stay in one place, so I know i will have to be restrained the entire time. I am scared

Well, welcome to BoneSmart, Johnny! I hope we can do something to allay your anxiety and set you on the right road.

First of all, there is not all that much more pain in having two hips done at once than there is one. Statistics show that people who've had two hips done use about the same amount of post op morphine as those who've only had one. So don't get too het up about that.

Secondly, all being well you should be fully recovered and back to normal long before October if you can get them done before the end of July. Three months should do it.

Thirdly, the sleep disorder will not be a problem because when you have the spinal, you will be temporarily paralysed from the waist down. Also, they will give you a sedative to knock you out for the duration and that will overcome anything of that nature. So you won't have to 'be restrained' not even at any point. So please put that worry right out of your head.

Hi Johnny checking to see how you are doing today. I hope we are all able to help in some way. We are always here for ya !!!!!!!! It will be OK....

HI john,
HAD A TOTAL LEFT hip replaced 3 months ago was on baby asperin had to have 2 blood transfusions other than that everything seems to be great I excersize several times a day and eat a lot of fruit recovery is fairly slow patience is a must. (relax and go with the flow) god bless bill (I am 73 and was very nervous about the surgery but looking back on it it is far better to have your mind set on a more positive plane good luck. i have survived prostate and colon cancer and feel very lucky.)

WElcome Jigger
I remember saying my recovery was slow as well. Then about 6 months later I was telling people how quick it was!!!!
congrats on having it done.
judy

Been away for a while I had to have a second surgery on my total hip replacement, after 4 months i developed a peptostreptococcus bacteria infection in my hip spent 1 month in the hospital i will have to be on vancomycine drip twice a day for 2 to 3 months, if this does not work I will have to go through another hip replacement surgery for the 3rd time (bit of bad luck) it has been a long process I am praying that the VANCO. works, take care Bill

I am going to pray hard for you that this treatment works. So sorry this has happened to you. You should start your own thread though.
judy:pray::pray:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks