TKR Work

I quit pain meds after 3 days. I did take regular tylenol for two weeks after that. For me the more I moved the better my knee felt, so I started moving right away. Lots of moving, gym every day and lots of resting. I went back to work I think 6 weeks after my first knee was done last year. This knee I waited 10 weeks and started with a light schedule (I have a very active job where I am on my feet moving the entire time).

I am totally confused as to how to start a new thread with a new question...I don't think this is right. However, my question is how do you handle the after effects of coming off Oxycodone? I took the last one three days ago, and I am so miserable, not with pain, but the detox effects. I don't know how long I can stand it. The dr. told me I just have to deal but it is more than difficult. I did wean off etc. but this is worse than the surgery itself. Any help would be great. Thanks.

You don't start a new thread for a new question. You just post your question in your thread, as you have done. IF you start a new thread, we will just have to merge it into your original recovery thread, because each person has just one thread for recovery.

Don't worry that we won't see your new question because, between us, staff read every new post each day.

It's been three days since you came off the Oxycodone, so you're probably almost over the withdrawal symptoms. Hang in there, because you're going to feel better soon. :console2: :friends:

I'm 6 weeks from surgery. Stopped oxycodone at week 2 (my choice based on uncomfortable side effects). Started 2 Tylenol 650 every six hours and at night one Tylenol PM and one Tramadol 50 mg (I'm careful not to exceed the 24 hour maximum for the Tylenols). Keep a couple of Tylenols next to the bed in case I wake up and I normally end up taking them 3 am ish. I'm not pain free but not sure I'm expected to be. I find icing is a huge relief and probably better than anything I'm taking orally. I'd like to be meds free but I'm not sure when that will be. I take a Tramadol instead of the Tylenol when in have something to do during the day I'd like to feel mostly ok for. If any one has any input re my regimen would be happy to hear. I've still got a bunch of oxys but it's just a case of keeping them in case.

Forgot to add, very frequently I miss one of the Tylenol doses during the day, just forget to take it.

Last edited:
thank you. I hope you are feeling better. I am just going crazy with the muscle aches and can't sit still. I do have Tramadol....but havent tried it.

I don't think it's possible to get physically addicted to oxy in 6 - 7 weeks or so. I agree with Celle. Hang in there.

What's that saying that Josephine has about mind over matter? "If you don't mind it won't matter?"

That's about exactly how long I took it and the only thing I noticed when I switched to nothing but Tylenol was that my knee still hurt. Quite a bit.

I got off pain meds and only used Tylenol starting Day 6. I felt so dizzy and nauseous in the pain meds so I felt I had to get off. I had some pain, but nothing I couldn’t deal with. At about4.5 weeks and still using Tylenol every 6 hours. Regarding work, at went back last week at 3.5 weeks. I know it’s early, but I have a desk job and am able to ice and I rest and ice all evening when I get home. Also doing PT 3 times a week right by my office. Week 1went well but by Friday is was exhausted. My ankle was a bit swollen, so this weekend has been all about rest, elevating and icing, and the swelling is gone. As everyone here says, its a personal journey and everyone is different.

I was only sent home from surgery with tramacet. I am weaning myself off those to go on Tylenol extra strength. They only gave me 80 tabs after surgery. I'm going 10 hrs between pain pills.
Icing really helps.
Hope all goes well with you

I weaned myself off oxy during the third week and had what felt like withdrawal for a few days. It was primarily restless leg syndrome at night and general restlessness during the day. It may be that the oxy masked a restlessness that was already there, but it definitely was difficult. Hope it's better by now!

My surgeon writes the initial paperwork regarding return to work (which has to be handed in before the surgery) for 6-12 weeks. I'm currently 4 1/2 weeks out, and thought I would be back by now..... boy was I wrong!! Not even close. The surgeon now has approved me to work from home up to 15 hours a week, but as tolerated, so basically it's up to me if I feel I have it in me or not, but I can do it from the comfort of my couch. So far, I really haven't been up to it. I have a great team that I work with though, so if they need my help and I'm able, I want to be able to pitch in. (There are some things that only I do - but I did document and train before I went out). I think I'm very lucky with this set up, and honestly, I have LOVED being away from the stresses of work!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom