Work!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz

Hi folks its Caz here hope you are all getting on ok.

I am now 11 weeks post op and things are looking good.

I have been off work since the op and I am thinking of returning to work at the end of March. I am not sure how long to be off as I dont want to undo all the hard work I have done since I had the op.

Any suggentions??????

I'm 7 1/2 weeks post op.....been back at work 3 full weeks today. I went back full steam....went home in a nervous crying fit the first week or two....it gets better....you have to pace yourself. I take 1/2 of a #5 perc. before lunch....rest a little in a recliner during lunch and can make it all day. If I don't "chill" for a little while, I give out by mid afternoon and my brain shuts down.

Good Luck!!!
Let's me know how your first week goes!!
Patti

Hi Caz,

Hope you're doing well. I think it depends on how you feel, what kind of work you are doing, what your surgeon says. I was definitely not ready at 12 weeks for full-time work, but at 4 months post-op, I think I can do much more. Unfortunately, I lost my full-time job, but I am working part-time. I definitely feel sore and stiff by the end of a few hours, but I can still work. Some stretches and ice when I get home seem to be enough. I have some pain meds for back-up, but haven't really needed them. Listen to your body. Is there any way you could start out less than full-time as a "test-drive"? My PT says it's all about building strength and endurance, and that I'll develop more stamina over time.
Best of luck and let us all know how you're doing!
Susan

I'm 7 1/2 weeks post op.....been back at work 3 full weeks today. I went back full steam....went home in a nervous crying fit the first week or two....it gets better....you have to pace yourself. I take 1/2 of a #5 perc. before lunch....rest a little in a recliner during lunch and can make it all day. If I don't "chill" for a little while, I give out by mid afternoon and my brain shuts down.

Good Luck!!!
Let's me know how your first week goes!!
Patti

Patti,
Is a #5 Perc a 5mg Percocet?

I went back part time, 4 hours a day, from home so I could vary the 4 hours I picked. That was at 9 weeks. Yesterday I went into the office for my 4 hours. My leg got stiff, I was exhausted. I came home and took a nap. Last night my leg hurt more than usual and I ended up getting up at 3 to take another pain pill - first time that has happened in weeks. Pattipoo is right about needing some meds and rest during the day. I'm hosting ameeting all day Monday and it is a 2 hour drive to it. I'm worried how I'll survive, but somehow I will. Just take as much time as you can to heal and go back a little bit at a time. My doc was concerned about me working 4 hrs a day for 5 days a week right off the bat, but when I said I'd be at home and wouldn't work 4 hours straight, he gave in. So, often the doc will be helpful and provide good guidance and advice. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

Thinking of you,
Skeet

I'm unique!
(actually somebody in the hospital called them #5's and #10's and that stuck in my itty-bitty big fat monkey brain)

You got any idea how many times, in my life, I've heard that??????
"Patti, you ain't right!!!"....I LOVE it~

Hi Caz...just my 2 cents but dont push it. Your body will let you know when its ready to do a full day of work. Start slow and go from there......
Chuck

Caz, I'm with T-man on this. You kind of have to play it as you go. You'll know if it's too soon. Also depends on your doc and largely on what you do. no charge.

Hi folks.

I work in an office and I am hoping that they agree to me going back just doing mornings at first. Back at the DRS on Friday so will see what he says.

Thanks for all the advise folks.

I should have just done mornings....I didn't.

KEEP this in mind. Your co-workers will "feel for you" at first...THEN, they'll see you "acting" normal, doing your working -so that must mean that you ARE feeling normal. You WON'T be feeling normal...you'll be exhausted - leg will be aching like a big fat monkey - your brain will go into lock down.....blasted knee will be sucking every ounce of energy it can find from your body in order to heal. It's rough. Take care!

Patti - Thanks for the input. I can hardly wait to get back to full time! The good news is that with my new job I can work effectively from home when I want/need to, so that will probably be my lifeline! I felt like you described on Thursday after only 4 hours. After the first 2 hours the newness of me being at work wore off and it was like I never left.

Really need everyone's prayers on Monday. It will be a killer!!

God bless,
Skeet

Well Skeet, you need to at least slip on to this forum and say "hey" during the day. It's going to get too quiet around here.
I do hope everything goes well with the job.
I have had one of Patti's "big fat monkey" knee days. I went for a slow walk. Worked on not limping, stride, etc. Got back put ice on it and fell asleep for 3 darn hours. I'll be up all night.

I'll do my best to sneak online during lunch or a break and give you all an update. I'm really nervous about running the meeting - my first time with the new job and a lot of high level folks that intimidate me. Add to that the recovery and having it be my first day back full time and having to travel 2 hours each way... freaks me out. It really helps knowing you all are pulling and praying for me. I so appreciate your love and support. my new boss will be there, too. He lives in Boise, Idaho, so I only see him about once a month. On top of everything else, I don't have the wardrobe for this job and havne't hade a chance or the energy to go shopping. I think I have sometihing to wear on Monday, but.... I really could use a shot of energy!

Thanks again for everyone's support. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Skeet

You'll do great Skeet, I know it. Look at this way (my wife always tells me I have a wonderful grasp of the negative), IF it should not go so well, do you think they might grab you and cut open your leg, saw off part of the bones and tell you to "Get up now and bend that knee". I cannot imagine ANY of US ever being intimidated ever again. What is the worse they can do? After this the rest is a piece of cake. You'll be fine.

can I get an amen for brotha gatiger????
We've had one of the grossest, ickiest, skin crawling, bloody, oozie, aching, throbbing "adventures" that anyone can endure.....we're superhuman!!!

you can't touch this.....

I would like to echo what Patti said-- it doesn't take long for your co-workers to decide you are "back" in every way. YOU must be the one to take care of yourself and stand up and say "I AM DONE" and stick to your guns!

I am having a miserable weekend of pain and exhaustion after my 52 hr "part time" first week back at work. If my body is there I must be ready to do it all, right? WRONG!

I am trying to put together a strategy for next week and get the pain back under control. Of course that means going in to work tomorrow to get things organized for the week..... trying to go back to work is brutal.

It is really hard to stay on a positive track and do your home PT and all that you know is good for your recovery when you are exhausted and painful from doing too much at work.

So--- those of you heading back--- be cautious. It is way easier to start slower and add more time if you are feeling up to it--- than to do too much and try to back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back