WoooWhooo One Year Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie_joints

post-grad
Country
United States United States
:dancy: :dancy: :egypdance: :egypdance:

So hard to believe it is one year ago Dec 1st that I got my right hip replacement. I had a tough start with being sick to my stomach and just not hungry for 3 1/2 weeks. I did ok, pretty much the normal for recovery, three weeks with a walker and two with a cane. The day of surgery I weighed 231 pounds, from not being able to do much and I was finally able to start walking. Very slowly of course at first. When my appetite came back I weighed myself again and I had lost about 16 pounds, so I thought I should try and keep it up. Kept walking and then when we went to winter in AZ I joined a group of ladies and they met every day and they would do a walking DVD. So I was slow at first but kept at it as I got stronger I got thinner. We went home and I had lost 30 some pounds by then and just kept going. I would do the whole DVD and that was 5 miles. I ended up losing over 70 pounds in less then 7 months. Of course my orthopedic surgeon was ecstatic and took all the credit for my weight loss. But then in Aug I needed my left knee replaced. So kind of starting over getting active again. I did gain about 10 pounds back, but I put the breaks on and am losing again. My hip is WONDERFUL. I had an anterior approach and it worked so well for me. So all of you "hipsters" keep at it you will get there and enjoy life to the fullest.

Wonderful recovery story, Debbie. It will mean a lot to those of our members who are facing their own joint replacement and concerned about what "life after" will look like. Congratulations to you!!!

Congrats-way to go.jpg
Happy Anniversary, Debbie! These man-made hips are the bomb---mine is wonderful, too.

Congrats Debbie.. your hip is officially one year old :) Love your update :)

What an inspirational story!! I don't have a group to walk with, but am hoping I can take some weight off too, now that the hip is fixed and I'm not in constant pain!

Debbie, thank you for sharing your story. Isn't it great to lose weight as a extra bonus. It happened to me also. Happy Birthday. And may you have many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023