Lounge Doctor

THR Woohoo! Let the healing begin!!

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
I’m officially on the healing side and I can’t tell you how relieved I am. The last week was filled with anxiety and insomnia as the big day came closer!
I arrived at hospital at 7:30am, went through the whole pre-op prep, spoke with anesthesiologist and surgeon and then went into surgery at 9:20. The spinal worked great and the sedation was easy peasy. I woke up in recovery around 11ish. I’ve been taking hydromorphone and Tylenol regularly. I’ve already been up to the bathroom twice and took a small walk in the hall with physio.
I had a small hiccup with feeling nauseous and threw up everywhere but immediately felt better after they gave me zofran. BP is a little on the low side so they’re going to keep me overnight. Physio said they’ll come back in the morning to teach me stairs. The groin pain is gone! My leg is definitely weak, and starts throbbing before the next dose of meds is due. But I’ve already been able to get in and out of bed on my own with supervision. I can’t be completely independent yet because I can’t manage the walker and the IV pole, but it might get capped or taken out after my midnight last dose of antibiotics.
I can’t believe I’m less than 10 hours post-op and feeling so far so good! Thank you to everyone on this forum, your kind messages and informative recovery threads prepared me for what to expect and made this journey less stressful.

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
@HipMom143 ,
Welcome to the OtherSide! :welome:

Glad to hear you are doing well, hoping your BP normalizes and you can go home ASAP.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Humbleservant

Country
@HipMom143 thats awesome! Glad all is going well!now rest, ice and elevate and relaxxxx as much as possible! Hoping you get to go home tomorrow to comfortable surrounding and family!

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Glad to hear you're doing so well, @HipMom143! How well I remember that great post-op feeling of euphoria at having made it through! Looking forward to hearing about your recovery!

OP
OP
H

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
So today started out rough and unfortunately I’m still in the hospital. I slept 5 hours which was great, except I was late on my pain medication so at 6:30 I was hurting quite a bit when I had to get up to the bathroom to pee. I took some hydromorph and tried to get back on top of the pain but then the rehab therapist came to show me exercises that he wanted me to do. Tightening my quads and holding for 5 seconds was manageable but I was struggling with heel slides and leg lifts. He wouldn’t take no for an answer until I burst out in tears and he finally clued in that I was in too much pain. I was teary during breakfast and not having visitors sucks because I miss my kids. By noon I was in better spirits because the pain was under control again, I even managed a set a stairs with physio and was hoping to get the sign off to go home. Unfortunately once I returned to my room the nausea kicked in full force and I projectile vomited everything I had eaten. I also continued to have low blood pressure so they decided to keep me overnight. Hopefully I’ll be able to go home tomorrow. I’ve moving better this evening and sat up in the chair a few times to give my back a rest. I’m going to make sure I ring for pain meds during the night so I don’t have another setback. I also haven’t had a bowel movement yet so I’m hoping that things start moving in that department soon too.

Raftin21

Country
Hi! Hang in there it will get better! The first week is tough, lots of ups and downs, but you got this! Hoping you get to go home with your kiddos today!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @HipMom143
Raftin is right, the first days are a struggle.
Low BP is pretty common after major surgery and I hope they are helping you with some nausea meds.
The pain meds are a necessary evil right now so try to drink as much as you can and hopefully they are giving you stool softeners.
The whole body is in a state of shock right now and it can take a few days to get things regulated.
I hope they let you go home soon, if for no other reason, to be shed of that overly aggressive physical therapist.:nah:

I had a similar situation at my first outpatient PT and didn't go back. All you need to worry about right now are moving about slowly, and the therapist should, imo, stick to suggestions about Activities of Daily Living, which is not even that pressing since you have help at home.
I'm sure they meant well, but do remember you can say No to things that hurt.
You won't be set back by not attempting these motions this early out.
Healing hugs are coming your way...all temporary and well worth these first rough bits.

Eman85

supremo
Country
The dreaded PT bully at the hospital. I don't know what they get out of it but they make a lot of patients miserable. Don't worry about heel slides and leg lifts you'll be able to do them soon. Low blood pressure seems to be very common, mine was low for the first day. You'll get all of the exercise you need going back and forth to the bathroom.

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Wishing you all the best, @HipMom143, and I hope you can go home today. I say to you the same thing I say to myself everyday, things are going to get better. Though sometimes it's a little hard to see that.

OP
OP
H

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
@Raftin21 @Mojo333 @Eman85 @Sashimu Thanks for the kind messages and reassuring me that I’m not being a wimp. When I told him I couldn’t do the leg lift, his response was so condescending, he said “don’t worry you won’t hurt your hip” I responded that I wasn’t worried about the hip but that my thigh and butt muscles hurt from trying to lift it. He said “yes pain kind of like a mosquito bite right?” That’s what made the tears come. It made me realize he has no clue how much pain I was experiencing so I just refused to do the exercises until my pain was under control. He seemed to show some remorse once he saw that I was crying.
Thankfully the nausea hasn’t returned and the pain was managed with every 3-4 hours of pain meds. I had a slight disagreement with the nurse this morning (I promise I’m not a difficult patient!) she told me I needed to be reducing my pain meds if I want to go home. I asked her to tell me what script I’m going home with and she hadnt checked, so I said I need to know I what the goal is so I can work towards it. I’m motivated to get out of here so I’ll do whatever it takes. Turns out they’re giving me slow release hydromorph as well as the breakthrough fast acting and I’m only going home with the fast acting every 4-6 hours rather than 3-4. I’ll also get Celebrex twice and day and Tylenol as needed. I think I’ll be able to manage with that.
Good news I did the stairs again today and felt stronger than yesterday, so I got sign off from physio and OT. Just waiting to hear more from the nurse or surgeon - haven’t seen him since the surgery so it would be nice to find out more about how the operation went.
Sorry for the long message, I’m just rambling but excited at the possibility of going home!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Welcome to the healing side!
I’m sure you’ll manage well with whatever is prescribed. If not, you can revisit meds with your surgeon. It’s good to hear you’re comfortable with the stairs. Before I tried the steps at my surgery site, the idea felt overwhelming. It’s not as difficult as we imagine and nice to feel confident about navigating them with relative ease.
Safe travels home! I look forward to following your recovery updates. :wave:
@HipMom143

Raftin21

Country
So glad today is going better! I am a mom of two kiddos and am about 7 weeks out from RTHR. the support from everyone on here got me thru the tuff times. They all have such great advice... taking meds on a schedule, ice like crazy and let yourself rest and recover (which can be hard when you have kids!). I straight out told my PT I just wouldn’t do certain exercises because they hurt too much and that’s totally okay to do!
Hope you’re headed home soon! :flwrysmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
It's awful when we are at our most vulnerable when hospital staff makes us feel like that.
I guarantee the nurse nor the PT has had a hip replacement.:nah:
You are going to be fine and do well...:ok:
The next 10 days will be a bit disconcerting but We Who Know are here to support you and you are definitely Not. Wimp or a Difficult Patient. After that... Things will be steadily improving.

You are a newly recovering hippy who is going through a Temporary struggle and is going to be ever so happy with her new hip in the future :friends:

MoveOn1

Country
Hi @HipMom143

Congrats on getting through the surgery. I had my surgery on 3/15 and came home on 3/17. I was prescribed the same pain meds. Since being hole I’ve only used theTylenol and Celecoxib. I haven’t used the (hydromorph) yet. I haven’t needed it. My nausea improved since being home. The stool softener helped. My new worry is if I’m adhering to the hip precaution/restrictions for posterior. Wishing you well and hope you get home soon.

Eman85

supremo
Country
If you see that PT ask them who did their THR. I don't think most of them have any clue. My OS answer to me when I asked about PT was to stay away from them they will hurt you.

OP
OP
H

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
@Layla yes I had built the stairs up in my head to be this big obstacle and it turned out they weren’t as bad as I had imagined
@Raftin21 taking meds on a schedule is the best piece of advice that I needed reminding of. I set alarms last night and took the meds every 4 hours which helped to stay ahead of the pain
@Mojo333 I’m so grateful for all of my hippy friends for reassuring me that this struggle is just temporary and will be worth it in the long run
@MoveOn1 congrats on your surgery too. I have hip precautions too, my surgery was lateral. The doc said as long as I was being careful to try not to stress about the precautions because my body would also let me know and if something was uncomfortable not to continue doing it
@Eman85 that would have been a great comeback if it had occurred to me at the time! Even now I still can’t believe he compared the pain to a mosquito bite!! :shocked:
I was finally discharged yesterday and came home around 4:30pm. I made it up 2 flights of stairs (with some resting in between) and then got everything set up where it was easy to reach around my bed. My husband picked up sushi for me and a few bites in I got the urge to “go” so I went to the bathroom - success!! I was so relieved!! Pun intended :heehee: I slept much better at home without all the strange hospital noises. It was so nice to be able to cuddle with my littles, they both were clinging on and didn’t want to let go!! I’m so happy to be home. I’ve been icing and elevating, sleeping on and off and flexing my feet to get the blood circulating. I’m not on TEDS thank goodness, taking 2 aspirin a day instead. My exercise is just getting to the bathroom and back which is enough for today. I’ll see what I can add in when I feel up to it. Thank you everyone for the support

Teresa17

Country
@HipMom143 Glad you are home! I enjoyed reading your recovery thus far. My surgery is on Tuesday and I’m starting to get scared so reading your recovery helps.
Wishing you a good nights sleep!

OP
OP
H

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
@HipMom143 Glad you are home! I enjoyed reading your recovery thus far. My surgery is on Tuesday and I’m starting to get scared so reading your recovery helps.
Wishing you a good nights sleep!
@Teresa17 im glad that my posts are helping you. I’m writing them for two reasons, first I will have a journal to look back on when recovery is complete and secondly, I was reading others’ recovery stories like a mad woman as my surgery got close. It helped my anxiety so I’m happy to pay it forward. Let me know if you have any questions that I could help with. Best of luck on Tuesday

JohnWilky

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well done Hip mum you’ve been thru it and some , from my experience I’m 3 week in today and had a similar experience apart from the PT shambles ( going for mine tomorrow and will heed your advice ) and can reassure you as fellow Smarties told me you will feel better everyday I promise.

Sleeping will be tricky but it will improve as will all the other departments eventually, there seems to be a common path , and it’s great to know you’re not alone.

Big shout for hubby too , on top of caring for you ,it must be tricky with the little ones , two hero’s in one house , good luck to you both and a safe and speedy recovery.

3 week ago today more or less this time I wouldn’t have dreamt I would be dishing out condescending advice hahah amazing and thxs to the contributors / moderators et al on bonesmart for making the trauma Mike’s easier .

Good luck

Missy45

Country
Hi HipMom143, I am in my last week and experiencing the anxiety and insomnia just like you described. I am managing it ok, I think, but the stress is real! I’m so glad your surgery went well and I’m encouraged by your good experience so far. That’s great!
:flwrysmile:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Joybeth
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom