THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

@Woodstockhip by the time I get into bed, place the pillow in the right place between les knees, pull the duvet over everything, including she who must be obeyed, plump the pillows, turn off the light, get on to the 2018 hip, I am absolutely knackered (exhausted). Then, of course being of a certain age, have to go through the same rigmarole a bit later.....

@Woodstockhip
They are instances when certain issues like a slight Afib not initially detected (and yes, I was a bit hesitant to mention Pulmonary embolism) can have some of the symptoms you describe.
So please don't delay the checkup.
Better safe....

I veer toward anxiety so that doesn’t help matters. At the moment I feel just fine and my O2 sats are at 100% so I’m just going to hope the cardiologist will have some answers.

Sorry if my concerns for you added to your anxiety...
Glad you are keeping an eye on things...
Please let us know what he says:friends:

I'm glad you're seeing doctors about being out of breath. I will tell you this can occur with Afib. That was one of my worst symptoms years ago when I had uncontrolled Afib. It's good that your oxygen levels are remaining high, but you do want to get this checked out. Please let us know how things go.

Of course, being the perpetual optimist (NOT!), the first place I went was "pulmonary embolism." Since there's absolutely no pain associated with this shortness of breath and it is very short lived and comes and goes, I'm now less worried. I walked for a half mile today on a search mission for a lost dog and was just fine. Well, my hip hurt, but that's to be expected. I did get back the report on my cardiac event monitor, which it appears was abnormal. I suspect the two might be related. I have an appointment with the cardiologist and figure that's a good place to start. Thanks for your good counsel @Mojo333 and @Layla and @DK63, glad to know I'm not the only one.
Oh, do let us know what your cardiologist says! So hope he or she will put your mind at rest.

Did you find the lost dog?

Hi there cousin @Woodstockhip I keep thinking I can feel the new stuff in my hip but walk lovely...still some pain and swelling but put on and tied up boots for Nancy Sinatra song today...and managed 2 miles, nice and steady and occasional stretch along the way. Feel for you and all your new family over here send their best wishes for a positive result with your heart man.

@Layla and @Mojo333, just wanted to check in and report on my visit with the cardiologist/electrician. He wasn’t overly concerned about the results of the event monitor but since I’m showing more signs of arrhythmia, he did suggest a medication change which will mean two overnights in the hospital for dosage setting and monitoring. I thought I was through with hospitals for a while! As for the hip, it’s stiff and a little achy (which is probably due to the horrible weather) but doing the things a hip is supposed to do. I just have to be extra careful this time of year because of snow and ice.

Thanks for sharing an update. It's encouraging to hear your cardiologist isn't overly concerned with the monitoring results. I'm sorry you're looking at a few nights in the hospital to fine tune the meds for arrhythmia. We'll be just a few keystrokes away when you're bored and want to chat with your BS friends.

The stiff / achy hip will ease in time as I'm sure you recall from your first THR. Stay safe out there, there is freezing rain and snow coming my way over the next four days so I won't be venturing out any more than necessary...most likely. I say that now, until I'm bored tomorrow and thinking about checking more off my Christmas gift list. Ugh :groan:

I hope you have a peaceful evening.
@Woodstockhip

:hi: @Woodstockhip
I know you aren't excited about the clinical monitoring for your Afib, but it sounds like he is being very attentive to making sure there are no ill side effects.
My husband dealt with severe atrial fibrillation due to hyperthyroidism but had an electrocardioversion that sustained for over 10 years...
it has come back but it also being controlled by meds and it Can be a bit of trial and error so keep the faith!
Less than 3 months out from THR...the hip is still rather particular and I'm sure the cold and less than optimum conditions (Icy:flabber:) make it challenging.

No Falling:no-fin:
Totally against the Rules!

You can whine to us when you go into the hospital, and we will get you through it!

As for the hip, it’s stiff and a little achy (which is probably due to the horrible weather) but doing the things a hip is supposed to do. I just have to be extra careful this time of year because of snow and ice.
Ugh! yes, this is a big concern, I had my RTHR done in September and was very cautious, basically staying home in any sort of winter weather.
Then the cold weather achy painy's!! It's a real thing.
Wishing you a comfortable and easy hospital stay while adjusting your heart meds.

Thanks, y'all. I have done a lot of research and have decided I'm not quite ready to make this medicine switch. My surgery was on Sept. 29. Exactly one month later, I started my event monitor which showed various arrhythmias. The whole time I was wearing the thing, I was in pain and under stress and have read that a lot of people do have post-surgical cardiac arrhythmia within the first six or so weeks. My gut is telling me "Not so fast" with the meds change, particularly since the new med can have really serious side effects. It's a real heavy-hitter for Afib and, since the monitor reading didn't actually even show Afib, I am going to suggest that I stay on my current meds for the present and reassess the situation a little bit down the road if I have symptoms. I know it sounds crazy to second-guess a cardiologist but since the first words I asked him were "Just how concerned should I be" and his response was "Oh, no need to be overly concerned -- there's nothing life threatening," why would I want to risk switching to a drug that COULD cause a life-threatening condition? And so this isn't totally off topic, I saw a PT today who is very gentle and is helping me restore muscle balance and strength. I think it's going to be fine.

I understand your concerns, Woodstockhip, as a non medical professional. :wink:
What you say makes perfect sense and you sound in tune with your body.
I hope you're able to adapt to not being overly concerned unless something changes that warrants further evaluation. Wishing you peace and good health this holiday season and in the New Year!
@Woodstockhip

As for the hip, it’s stiff and a little achy (which is probably due to the horrible weather) but doing the things a hip is supposed to do. I just have to be extra careful this time of year because of snow and ice.
This is pretty much what my physio told me last week although I got this off the internet.

‘Tendons, muscles, and scar tissue expands and contracts with the changes in Barometric Pressure, this can create pain in joints that are affected by arthritis. lower temperatures can change the thickness of joint fluid by increasing the fluid thickness, so joints feel stiffer.’

I started on a new heart drug (Dapagliflozin) a few weeks after my op. I was pretty worried about the side effects but apart from feeling dizzy the first night I haven’t had any at all.

I didn’t want to take it to be honest but my ejection fraction has reduced a lot this year so I’ve got no choice.

On the plus side the best side effect is I don’t get a thumping heart and palpitations when I drink wine :loll:

I think you’re right to follow your gut instinct. You can always change your mind.

Have to stop in since we shared a surgery date on your other hip (I think). Though mine was a knee. I found knees work better in pairs. Probably the same with hips. Hope you are doing well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie