THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

Woodstockhip, man! W. O. W. What a great report! So happy for you and I know we both will continue to get stronger and get our energy level back. Rest is still very important and I say that as I’m tucking myself into bed. Don’t forget to try a few stretches and ankle pumps in the morning when you wake up. Really helps my mind set the tone for a good day. Congrats and woohoo! I love this feeling! :happydance:

Today is 3 weeks post op for me. Gotta say, first week was the worst in my case. Definitely had a period of "I never should have done this". Since then it's been pretty uneventful. The only time my hip hurts is if I overdo exercise. Then I get an ache in my groin area. Other than that, I barely give the hip a second thought. Zero pain or discomfort. I have to force myself to remember the restrictions because I feel like I have my pre-arthritic hip and forget all about it. My arms are a very very different story. The walker is tearing up my arms as I knew it would. I'm icing all day trying to calm them down so I was unable to do any meaningful walking the last two days. One step forward two steps backward same as my knee replacement. I have been able to take a couple of small (very small) baby steps unaided. Huge accomplishment for me. Previous attempts to walk without crutches was like my feet were nailed to the ground. Could not take a single step. So progress reall slow for me. But fully expected. Overall, I'm very happy. And I'll say the magic words. I wish I had done this sooner.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving and you're looking forward to the holidays with your new hip.
Thanks for the support you offer here, always appreciated.
It will be snowing in my neck of the woods ALL DAY. :snow plough:
I am not a big fan of cold Winter. A great Tuesday to you, Woodstockhip, stay warm!
@Woodstockhip

Thanks, @Layla. Yep, two months today. All in all, it’s been a by-the-book recovery, that is, if the book says ”Every day will be different, some days odd pains will pop up in unexpected places, you’ll feel great, overdo it, and feel miserable the next day, you’ll think you’re not making progress but then realize you just went down the stairs without your cane or walked up a hill for the first time in seven years without bone-on-bone pain, etc.” So, that’s the report. My unasked for reminder to everybody just starting out on this roller-coaster ride of recovery, “It gets better.”

That is, if the book says ”Every day will be different, some days odd pains will pop up in unexpected places, you’ll feel great, overdo it, and feel miserable the next day, you’ll think you’re not making progress but then realize you just went down the stairs without your cane or walked up a hill for the first time in seven years without bone-on-bone pain,
I think that's exactly what the book says! You pass with flying colors. :wink:

And what's even more weird is you don't even realise you are making progress except for the "hello I couldn't have tied my shoes yesterday, or picked something off the floor.....it just creeps up on you. Ha, that's where the song comes from, just realised. "It's a new day, it's a new dawn, it's a new life....for me, and I'm feeling good" (at least until tomorrow when my body says you overdid it..must be the second verse!)

must be the second verse!
You are a hoot, DK63 :heehee: Recovery buds are great! I still remember mine fondly. They add so much (joy) to the sometimes s-l-o-w healing process. The laughs helped me for sure.

And what's even more weird is you don't even realise you are making progress except for the "hello I couldn't have tied my shoes yesterday, or picked something off the floor.....it just creeps up on you.
That is so true. Also, the part where you realize (note the z) that the act of sneezing or getting up off the chair will not cause your hip to instantly dislocate. I think for the first 4 weeks, at least 90% of my brain matter was occupied with thoughts of Dislocation Potential. The other 10% wanted a nap.

And @Layla, without my young cousin-from-another-family-across-the-sea, I would not have had nearly as fun a recovery. Laughter is indeed good medicine. Also good medicine? To celebrate my 2 month anniversary, I've just come back from buying new boots. Doctor's orders, my old ones were worn from walking lopsidedly for years. Too bad insurance won't pay for 'em.

I couldn't agree more about having some fun and laughter early on when the situation is not ideal.
May you wear those new boots in safety and good health. You're a Northerner as I am and there's always that fear of slipping on the icy pavement this time of year. May we both stay upright out there this season! :banana-santa:
@Woodstockhip

@Layla indeed having a fun recovery buddy is indeed uplifting as its difficult to worry about every ache and pain whilst laughing. And to you long lost relation @Woodstockhip a big ditto and vice versa and versa vice, thanks for making me smile and laugh and many thanks for the old shoes you sent me...they fit ...and I shall marry the prince

So sorry cousin Woody @Woodstockhip that I had forgotten that you prefer realize with a "z" and I also did not realize that one could dislocate their hip when sneesing (note the s). Enjoy the colours of the fall, enjoy your new favourite boots, eat plenty of fibre and savour the good times and exercise gently, keep to the pavement when walking, and you will soon again be a happy traveller .....and happy Hannukah...

I very much doubt one could dislocate one’s hip by sneezing, unless one was sneezing while doing a Double Lutz Triple Toe Loop combination on ice, something NOT recommended for recovering hippies. Fall colors are no more and there was snow on the deck this morning. But all is good here in recovery-land. Here’s to keeping our aches and pains to a minimum, @DK63.

Quick question here: now that I have progressed from a very slow walk to a nearly normal pace, I find I am getting short of breath after, say, walking around the house. I’m not talking about anything strenuous. It can happen after turning over in bed. Yes, I’m out of shape from being couch-bound for so long after surgery, but I’ve been walking regularly, in small doses. Could this still be an aftermath of major surgery over two months later? Curious to hear about anybody else’s experiences with fast heart-rate and shortness of breath after THR.

Hi @Woodstockhip Getting dressed and then putting my shoes on has me out of breath like I have just done an hours work out....but I think for statistics sake you need a bigger sample.

I find I am getting short of breath after, say, walking around the house. I’m not talking about anything strenuous. It can happen after turning over in bed.
While this may be due to lack of stamina / strength after major surgery, please consider running it by your OS, or a member of his care team in hope that you receive the reassurance you're seeking. They will know the important questions to ask and hopefully in doing so you'll obtain peace of mind over something that is obviously causing you concern.
but I’ve been walking regularly, in small doses.
Could be too that you're not doing this often enough, or for long enough, but since the symptoms you described occur it's easy to see where it may cause you to pause out of caution. I'd question what they consider an appropriate activity level for you at this point also.

Please do consider touching base with your surgeon's office though and let us know what you hear. We care.

There can be serious issues that arise, and I agree with Layla that this is not one to play with.
Please check in with your Primary Care if that is quicker and easier.

Of course, being the perpetual optimist (NOT!), the first place I went was "pulmonary embolism." Since there's absolutely no pain associated with this shortness of breath and it is very short lived and comes and goes, I'm now less worried. I walked for a half mile today on a search mission for a lost dog and was just fine. Well, my hip hurt, but that's to be expected. I did get back the report on my cardiac event monitor, which it appears was abnormal. I suspect the two might be related. I have an appointment with the cardiologist and figure that's a good place to start. Thanks for your good counsel @Mojo333 and @Layla and @DK63, glad to know I'm not the only one.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back