THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

Time for the two week check-in. I saw my surgeon's Nurse Practitioner today. She removed the dressing which showed one tiny bit of non-connected skin which she addressed with steri-strips. The worst of it was the hour and a half drive there and back. Despite having quite a comfortable car, the lousy roads made for a bumpy ride. I was amazed to see the x-rays which showed my lateral pelvic tilt had pretty much disappeared. I'm still feeling mountain-goat-ish, with a definite sense that one leg is longer than the other, but she assured me this was a factor of muscle weakness from years of overcompensating and with time and gait-work, things should normalize. An ultrasound ruled out any blood clots, and I'm scheduled for a return visit on November 16. Stupidly, I spaced out and forgot to ask when I can drive, but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't want me to drive before seeing the surgeon in November. No biggie, I got no place to be. After three hours in the car, the only place I want to be is on my couch with my ice machine purring beside me.

Hiya @Woodstockhip Just wondering how your recovery is going?
Thanks for checking in. Maybe you sensed that I was having a rough day. Yesterday was pretty good but today, not so much. Lots of groin pain even with a minimal amount of walking. I know it’s still early days but I much prefer the “one step forward” days to the “two steps back” ones. Plus I'm totally bored with my own company. How about yourself?

Yes I did guess and to answer your other question, no, I am not bored with your company:loll:. You know you are going to have the backwards days which I guess makes the forward days even better. And we both know there are going to be weird unexplained pains that come and go for no apparent reason. I spent a lot of time thinking about your music bio and have a few choices as to your true identity, all of whom have had THRs. You are Madonna, Pink, Christie Brinkley or Billy Joel. Also, I was wondering about one thing that hippies want to do after a successful recovery. Swimming seems popular dancing as well, not seen anyone on here who is looking forward to going over Niagara falls in a barrel. So Woody (if I may be so bold to call you Woody), what would yours be? Only allowed one. Mine would be, a 4 mile walk every day without sticks/canes/pain as where I live now has fantastic walks.

Last edited:
Yup, you found me out. I’m Billy Joel. Let's see — no bungee jumping for me. My choice (at the risk of sounding like a really cheesy personal's ad) would be a long walk on the beach without pain. Actually, I'll be happy to walk anywhere without pain. And I know that day is coming and I've already booked a place on Cape Cod for next September.

Actually @Woodstockhip it does not sound cheesy, it sounds fantastic and you will succeed. Funnily enough, I too have booked somewhere that involves walking on a beach, June in Spain in Catalunya and then nip over the border and a week in French Catalonia. Cheesy no, fantastic goal, yes.

Last edited:
It ain't all glamour, that’s for sure. Between log leg and rock butt, I'm beginning to fade into the scenery here in the woods.

'log leg and rock butt...'
I am rolling!
This masterpiece is the t-shirt I wore home from the hospital. The nurses loved it.
Not for the weak. Indeed.
A1KHvCGeH6L._AC_CLa_2140,2000_81YKFuUu-tL.png_0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_UL1500_.jpeg

T Shirt

I was just reading on someone else’s thread how at around three weeks, progress seemed very slow and one day much like the next. I guess that’s why we are encouraged to sort of check-in with ourselves weekly rather than daily. I’m right about there, as it will be three weeks tomorrow. Not quite able to ditch the walker, still not able to do much walking, but I keep telling myself it’s early days, all temporary. No afib last night, though, which was good news!

Well done on afib. Yeah Woody/Billy. I think when it seems like nothing is happening it is a really good sign that something is actually happening, healing maybe, who knows. It certainly is early days, lest we forget. Time is on our side to misquote the Stones. Regrettably I have turned up for my own pity party. Was making great progress, albeit not sleeping, walking good, canes and not canes....went a bit further than normal this morning and.....hello tramadol again, which I had stopped 4 days ago and pass me the paracetamol which stopped 5 days ago. So, quite a bit of pain, my first blub, ice, elevate and try to think positive thoughts.

went a bit further than normal this morning and.....hello tramadol again, which I had stopped 4 days ago and pass me the paracetamol which stopped 5 days ago. So, quite a bit of pain,
You're in the ODIC, Over Did It Club as we refer to it here. Rest and Ice will be your ticket out. Sorry about the pain. No fun. :sad:

I guess that’s why we are encouraged to sort of check-in with ourselves weekly rather than daily.
Yes! Looking for daily progress will always disappoint.

No afib last night, though, which was good new
Wonderful news! I hope you have a lovely day, Woodstockhip.

One month since surgery, so it seems an apt time to check in.

Week three was kind of a bear -- the first two weeks of progress seemed to slow to a crawl and everything hurt. A lot of that was on me, because I tried to transition from the walker to the cane too early and was rewarded with unceasing groin pain. Back to the walker (which felt like a backslide even though I know better) and I am trying again now, a week later. Things seem to be going much better this time. I'm living proof that no two hips are the same, since I was farther along at this time two years ago with the other hip. I suspect that in straightening a fairly severe pelvic tilt, many more muscles and tendons were manhandled so it will doubtless take a little longer to settle.

I have two more visits scheduled with the drive-by PT, who thinks I'm where I ought to be. We're working on range of motion and strengthening. I still haven't decided what I'll be doing next in terms of therapy. I'm pleased about the progress I've made overall, including the fact that I can now touch the floor with both feet while standing.

And so, the Great Slog Forward continues apace.

Happy Saturday and Happy One Month Anniversary!
You're doing well. Thanks for the update, sharing your recovery experience here and also for offering encouragement to others.
I hope you have a great weekend! :)
@Woodstockhip

Well done Woody. Keep up the progress. Lots of healing wishes from your cousins across the pond.

Hellooo @Woodstockhip And how is it all going with your recovery and your pt? Just out if interest, is a drive by PT someone who just drives past and throws something at you, crutches? Canes? Hamburger? I do not believe we have a drive by fizzio in the UK, we are still in our infancy understanding a drive thru'.

Howdy, cousin @DK63. The answer to the question, "How's it going" changes from day to day, if not hour to hour. Had a FANTASTIC day Sunday, crashed Monday, today it's too soon to tell. I got both a flu shot and a booster yesterday and now everything hurts but that should take care of itself in time. I'm at the slow slog period of recovery, pretty much were you were a couple of weeks ago. There are moments when I think, "Hip? What hip?" and others when I just want to curl up into a ball and weep. Thankfully, those are less and less often. I am walking about a mile or a bit more during the course of the day (never all at once) and that seems to be the sweet spot. If I try to do more, I'll pay the price. My last session with the PT (he comes to the house, as opposed to me going to an office) is Thursday and then I get to decide what to do next.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom