THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

Hi @Woodstockhip
Happy Friday.:flwrysmile:
So many different issues arose during my recovery, I could hardly worry so much about one niggle before it subsided or moved to another place.
All the sitting and the pain pre-op pain mostly manifesting in my lower back and rear end had me concerned this wasn't going to resolve after double hip replacement...though x-rays showed endstage OA in both and was definitely the main issue.
Most of us recover fairly quickly the first few months from the surgery trauma, but we also have to adjust and recover from issues that bad gait/posture, etc have caused.
Everything is so close together and since it's all connected, it's hard to tell.
No truer words have been spoken.
There will be things you can do when you are further along, as you say, to help allay SI joint and ongoing issues.

It really is a year long recovery...with ups and downs but usually with continuous improvement.
Some heat on your rearend might help now that you are further along. I often alternated heat and ice to determine what eased the discomfort.

You have done splendidly, I think.
Keep the faith and hope you have a good weekend.:SUNsmile:

I too have been following your recovery as we both dream about that hike deferred that we will take. Sorry to hear about your glute pain. It is such a squiggly path to full recovery isn't it? Hope you are feeling better soon.

You might want to try a heating pad on the glute pain. Sometimes it can help while our bodies adjust to new ways of moving. Have a peaceful day.

@Bikeknit, it is one of those pains I feel when I stand too long or walk too much. It comes and goes and at the moment, it is not bad at all. So I did some light kitchen cleaning and am now resting, cat by my side, on my ice pack. @leejaa, oh, trust me! When I’m sitting or reclining, if I’m not icing I have the heating pad on. I used it for a couple of years before surgery. I’m just now recalling how miserable that bum hip made me feel and how the only comfort was the heat. Sooooo glad that is behind me now!

Keep the faith, pretty Lady.

@Bikeknit, we've had this absolutely bizarre, warm gorgeous weather from Friday through yesterday, so I've been outside as much as possible. I actually walked about 2 miles on the rail trail Friday, went to a local outdoor brewery Saturday, and to a historic home overlooking the Hudson River Sunday. Alas, the weather is normalizing for November and it's kind of nasty and raining out now. As for my hip, it's coming along. I'm still waddling (WHY DO WE WADDLE???) unless I really consciously concentrate on my gait. The cold damp weather seems to make things worse, but at this point, I'm pretty much only taking Advil once a day. For me, sitting is the worst. Well, actually, getting up after sitting. Hope you are healing well, too!

Hurray for unseasonably warm fall weather. A saving grace during covid. I am so glad you are getting to walk on your rail trail and can enjoy your friends outdoors.

I'm approaching 2 miles as well. I suspect that our tendons have to readjust to the restored configuration. I've been concentrating on gait for a bit at the beginning of walks, then letting go of it and enjoying the rest of the walk.

Hurray for being on the other side, returning to our lives.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Can you believe it’s been two months already? I hope you're feeling great and beginning to engage in all the things you love. I‘m wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving on Thursday, a peaceful holiday season and many blessings in the New Year. Let’s turn the page on this bad boy 2020 already!! :wink: :)
@Woodstockhip

Hey, @Layla! Thanks for checking in. I’ve been remiss about visiting here, mainly because I've been busy and things have been going pretty well. But I was missing you guys and I’m glad I stopped in. At just over 2 months, Here's my report: the physical therapist discharged me, saying my walking was excellent and I could do some simple core-strengthening exercises at home. The weather is getting colder and I am less active, but I do try to get out and walk several times a week. I can generally do around 2 miles, then come home to my trusty ice pack. I still have occasional “start up” pain when getting up from a chair and random crazy itches, zings and zaps on the incision. I was walking really well without any aids, until today. I put on a pair of boots I hadn’t worn since pre-surgery and eeeeyyyyoooowww! Bad mistake. After about ten minutes I was right back to waddling and limping and had to turn around and come home. I didn’t have a cane with me. It had to be the boots. I am icing and resting now. Tomorrow I'll try again, with other shoes. Other than today’s mishap, though, I’m doing pretty well!

I was walking really well without any aids, until today. I put on a pair of boots I hadn’t worn since pre-surgery and eeeeyyyyoooowww! Bad mistake. After about ten minutes I was right back to waddling and limping and had to turn around and come home. I didn’t have a cane with me. It had to be the boots.
Yes, it was the boots. You will have worn a tread pattern while walking pre-op and that tread pattern fitted with the waddling gait you had then.
That tread pattern isn't suitable for your post-op gait and it's going to keep on causing you problems, so I'm afraid you need to buy new boots. Maybe Santa will bring you some for Christmas?

It's very common to have to buy new shoes/boots after surgery, because of the different way you're walking .

I did the same thing with my pre op pair of tennis shoes. I thought I was going to have to crawl out of the grocery store!

Glad to hear you are doing well. Getting out of chair for me takes about 2 or 3 steps before I am up and walking straight but otherwise everything is great. Getting ready to head south for winter, and hoping the vaccine can be distributed as quickly as possible so maybe we can stop worrying about catching covid and have all these implants go to waste.

Hey @Woodstockhip
Happy New Year! I hope you had a lovely holiday season and you’re enjoying steady progress. Please let us know how you’re doing as time allows. We’d love to hear about the strides your making. Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Wishes for good health, much happiness and lots of love in 2021!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom