THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

I had 2 knees, not a hip so it's all different but the strongest pain meds I could handle were a combination of tramadol and Tylenol. The first knee I started with the strong stuff and gave up after about 4 days of nausea. This knee I went straight to my 2 ts combo. It isn't perfect but it is working.

As for the emotions, this is all scary stuff. Plus you are exhausted and hurting and covid is out there. You were so nice to reach out to me before my surgery. I'm rooting for you and know you'll get through this.

Aww, big hugs, first of all. :console2: This entire process can be anxiety inducing, we understand because we’ve been there.

Oxy can cause anxiety. So it may be the Oxy, a combo of Oxy and nerves over all you’re experiencing, or neither. I’m wondering who advised the Advil and the dosage? The recently retired BoneSmart forum nurse often recommended Extra Strength Tylenol, not to exceed 4000 mg over any 24 hour period. She suggested 1000 mg 4 x daily, calculating in anything else you may be taking that contains Acetaminophen, so you’re not exceeding 4000 mg in any 24 hr period.

It’s unlikely you’ll make the wrong move if you move slowly and mindfully, stopping if anything hurts. So try to let go of the idea of dislocation because your going to move mindfully. Dismiss blood clots if you‘re reasonably active. Use the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines to remain active without overdoing it. I successfully used it as my guide in the early weeks. Falling...once again, move slowly and mindfully and it’s unlikely you’ll fall. Vampires? Hopefully he’s good looking. :eyebrows:

I love Elf’s suggestion of the Hallmark channel where the homes are perfect and usually over decorated in the colors of the season, everyone is attractive, love is in the air and there’s always a happy ending. Not kidding that I do love it! I can get easily addicted, especially at Christmas time. It’s a wholesome guilt free escape.

Hugs and wishes for a peaceful evening and some restorative sleep.
@Woodstockhip

PS One of my favorite tips is not to look at daily progress because there will be ups and downs and it can be disappointing. Instead pick one day of the week and on that day only, each week, allow yourself to look back over the week and delight in the progress you‘ve made.

Everyone told me I would be glad to get home but I cried and pled with them as I really did not feel confident enough to go home.
They almost had to push me out the door and I felt like o was going to be such a burden on my family.
Emotions we're all over the place.

After a week, I was much more confident and decided if I took it all slow and mindfully, I would be able to manage.
Hope today is a better day.

Thanks @Mojo333. I guess it's one day at a time, like so many other things. I’m an impatient patient! Today I am running a low fever and low blood pressure. The nurse and the PT are both coming today, so I'll see what they have to say. I am so very grateful for all the support here.

Good Morning,
Recovery definitely calls for patience with its ups and downs.

The fever can happen. A low grade fever (less than 101.5 F) during the first week after surgery is a normal response by the body to the stress of surgery. It is most often caused by inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained during surgery. After the first week if you have a fever that lingers for more than a few days, or if a fever over 101.5F begins several days after surgery, it's recommended that you contact your physician to rule out the possibility of anything serious. I‘ve often read of lower BP’s post op also and you’re in such early days.

I hope you have good visits with the nurse and PT and a relaxing day afterward.
@Woodstockhip

Hey, there, @Bikeknit, thanks for stopping by! Well, let’s see....

— Level of pain: markedly decreasing. (Yay). Annoying but not YOWIE!! only took 5 mg of Oxy in the last 24 hours.

— Level of annoyance at :censored:TED stocking: markedly increasing. What crazy person invented these torture devices?

— Level of fear about breaking new body parts: decreasing

— Number of times gotten up from the couch and forgotten to take the walker: 1 (Won’t do THAT again!)

— Number of Acorn TV shows watched: too many

— Number of rows knit: too few

— Level of gratitude for partner and the marvel of modern medicine: off the chart!!!!!

Hope you are feeling better, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Woodstockhip: Hope the advil is helping with the nausea. I too had to switch to ibuprofen due to the nausea from the stronger stuff. I alternated tylenol and ibuprofen as recommended by my surgeon's P.A and that helped keep my pain manageable in addition to icing. Those articles listed above helped so much too. Hang in there. It just gets better everyday. Ups and downs though emotionally are a very normal part of it. Wishing you a peaceful recovery.

Recovery is never quite like we had pictured, is it? HATED, and I don’t use that word often, the TED hose, too. Caused a lot of swelling above them which was agony for me. But I survived that deviation from my plan as well. Lol. Blessings for a continued good recovery. Sounds like you’re well on your way for such a short time out. Be good to yourself and be safe. ❤️

Hi @Woodstockhip
All of your above recovery update points took me back in time to my recovery.
Well, except the rows knitted, I am the uncraftiest person I know.
All Temporary, friend and all well worth it in the end.
Hope your Monday is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:

This afternoon a friend stopped by to drop off some get-well-soon cookies. She brought her dog, who instantly tried to steal the tennis balls from the feet of my walker. Be warned, you dog owners!! Gave me the best laugh of the day.

A good night's sleep is invaluable.:sleeep:
I'm jealous as it was much longer before I got to that point.
I was so sleep deprived due to bad hips I was actually looking forward to the general anaesthesia sleep for surgery.:nah:
Best healing happens when you get good rest, so congrats.:tada:

Hey @Woodstockhip . I'm glad to hear that things are moving along and getting better. Maybe we should knit some decorative ankle warmers to wear with the TED hose? Should be quite a fashion statement.

Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for what modern medicine can do. As I struggle with pain and rehab, I sometimes forget why I did this. I was gradually becoming more and more resistant to anything involving being on my feet for any amount of time. Last night I spent some time researching cool places to hike. I can't wait!

Well, in another few days I will be hitting the two week mark. The home nurse and PT both released me and Tuesday is my first post-op appointment. I’m weaning myself from the walker, except for those little middle of the night bladder alarms but find I do get tired and achy using the cane. Still icing a lot and off the oxy with the exception of 5 mg at night and taking my little post-lunch siesta. Even though I don’t always take it into account, progress really IS happening. The pain is mostly the golf ball in the butt, the pulling in the groin, and the glute ache. And the big yowie when the left leg gets into the wrong position. All in all, I think things are going well. The emotional ups and downs and the vague sense of fear are all abating. I now just look forward to gaining my strength back. Reading all of your stories has helped so very much. i haven’t got the words to thank you all!

Wonderful progress report. I reverted back to the walker whenever I was extra tired just for extra safety precautions. I would try not to lean on it though but sort of push it lightly with fingers but still have it there in case. Have a peaceful day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom