THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

Woodstockhip

senior
Country
United States United States
I’m waving from the other side. Had my surgery at about 10:45 and back in the room around two. The pain is tolerable, ice chips are the best thing ever invented. I walked out of the room and into the hall, the PT was most pleased. I have a beautiful room with a view of the sky and trees and dozens of hawk-like birds flying around. Hoping for a nice sunset. The doctor said that the surgery went perfectly. He characterized the hip as “horrible” (technical term) and said the other one was almost as bad. But, tomorrow is another day and right now, I just want to get better.

:loveshwr:Hooray, all done and dusted!!!
Healing hugs coming your way and here's your Recovery Guidelines to peruse when you are up to it.
:) :-) (:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave: @Woodstockhip welcome to the healing side and congrats on that shiny new hip! Stay ahead of the pain, playing catch up is no fun. Also, if they haven't provided you ice for your hip please ask for some, it is awesome at helping with the pain. You rest up now, as best you can in a hospital, :snork: and check back in when you're feeling up to it.

The doctor just stopped in. Turns out that when he got in there, he found that I had “good bone stock” (sounds like something to eat) and he was able to use the “young persons” hip with no cement. That was quite a surprise because from the X-rays, he suspected osteoporosis. So, that was good news.

oh, and yes,I have ice.

Enjoy your night, hope you get a good nights sleep and they spring you to home soon!

Wonderful update! I thought the best part was waking and realizing surgery and all the pre-op anxiety was now in the rear view. :yay:
Sending a warm hug and wishes for your comfort as you begin healing.
@Woodstockhip

:wave:Congratulations on your shiny new hip. I hope you have a peaceful night with lots of ice and pain medication. :sleep:

It’s 3 in the morning and I’m awake with yucky heartburn for which I was just given some meds. I’m sleeping in fits and starts and in the middle of one of my sleeping sessions, my drug-addled brain convinced me that the leg pressure squishy cuffs were alive. Kind of like long skinny cats doing that kneading thing cats do. I liked them and when they stopped to recalibrate, I was sad. When they started up again, I was delighted! Bizarre, eh? Just had to share. Also, there’s not much to do at 3 in the morning.

Hope your heartburn has subsided...and nice that it sounds like they have your pain well managed...
my drug-addled brain convinced me that the leg pressure squishy cuffs were alive. Kind of like long skinny cats doing that kneading thing cats do. I liked them and when they stopped to recalibrate, I was sad. When they started up again, I was delighted!
:kitty:Feline massage therapy...:heehee:
I'm sure today they will get you up and walking about in preparation to go home soon.
Glad they are supplying you ice too.
This hip show is now on the road,:ok:

Congrats on crossing over to the healing side. Your beneficent hallucination sounds fun.

Heartburn is still wicked! Possible side effect of OxyContin? I’m taking 5 mg every 4 hours. Does that seem like a reasonable dosage?

So sorry you‘re struggling with heartburn. I believe it can be a side effect and hopefully it will ease as your body adjusts to the Oxy. Please ask one of the medical professionals if they have any ideas to help stop, or reduce the heartburn. They will also be able to answer your question regarding dosage.
At the very least, consider avoiding the most common foods and beverages that can trigger heartburn. I hope you gain relief soon and have a peaceful evening.
@Woodstockhip

I sure hope so. Fingers crossed for you.:fingersx:
Recovery is enough on its own.

My OS prescribed Pepcid AC for all my surgeries to help with any issues from aspirin and other medication. It seemed to work well for me.

Love your cat massage therapy, so sounds like something I would have come up with. As far as the heartburn goes maybe they can give you a stash of crackers to eat when you take your meds. I know it helped me during recovery so I always had some on my bedside table.

I was hoping to not have to go here, but...I am feeling very anxious this evening. Surgery was 2 days ago. I am home and relatively comfortable, but am having to give up on the heavy duty pain meds because they have made me so nauseated. So I’m going to see how I so on 600 mg of Advil. The nurse came today and said that the leg looked great and, surprisingly, not swollen. My BP was pretty low. Don’t know what I am so scared of — making the wrong move? Dislocation? Blood clots?Falling? Vampires? I feel like such a baby, on the verge of tears. almost afraid to go to sleep. What is up with that????

@Woodstockhip sorry you're feeling so anxious. This is major surgery and can really mess with our emotions, a lot! I think all of us have been scared after surgery that we're going to do something wrong and mess everything up. You are not a baby, have a good cry, you're mourning the loss of your natural hip, even if you don't realize it.

In the Recovery Guidelines above there is a link that talks about post-op blues. It is very real and with everything going on right now you kind of have yourself a perfect storm of emotions. It's ok to feel them, have a cry, a little pity party, etc just don't let yourself linger there. Find a movie that's silly and makes you laugh, a lot of us watched all the Christmas movies on Lifetime and Hallmark channel. I know Lifetime is getting ready to start theirs again. Or read a book you love, something to keep your mind busy.

If your meds are causing you nausea you can ask the doc to prescribe you something for that. Some of us kept crackers and such handy so we had a little something to nosh on when taking your meds so it's not on an empty stomach. If you really feel that you want to go without the pain meds make sure you're icing and elevating. And, if possible maybe switch to Tylenol/Acetaminophen instead of the Advil. Advil is a NSAID (non-steroid anti inflammatory) and has a tendency to cause stomach irritation.

Hang in there, you're not alone! :friends:

Thanks, @Elf1 I did read the thread and it all makes sense. And what with Covid and everything else in the world, I suspect we are all feeling a little more emotional than usual. I put a call into my primary to see about getting something for the nausea. And I have been icing and elevating. I guess this is all part of the package.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom