BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Wonkyhipoy Recovery<<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by wonkyhipoy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Hi all,

I am on day one of my post opp (prosterior approach). They gave me an epidural for the surgery, and most ha worn off (it has been 14 hours). However, there is a section of my lower inside they and top of knee cap that are numb on the skin) though a feel cold and pressure. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers!

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi! Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
    You will feel numbness. Relax, it's only temporary.
    Will you please clarify your exact surgery date and which hip was replaced. The information will be added as your signature. Fourteen hrs ago is confusing to me as the date.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and pay special attention to the Big Tip -
    Stop by often, we'd love to follow your journey!
    @wonkyhipoy

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Sorry about that... I am a little foggy from the drugs. My surgery date was the 9th of August at 3:45pm (finished at 4:30).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

No worries or apologies necessary. I remember the feeling!
    Could you tell me which hip was replaced though too, please?

5. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Left hip

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:welome: glad you are on the healing side.
    They do about of pulling you about and is likely the will need alot of strange sensations this early out.
    Don't worry...temporary and can be different places at different times.
    Try to relax and roll with it right now. Wishing you healing mojo!:tada:

7. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

It is so very soon after your surgery that I'm not surprised you still have a bit of numbness. You can always mention it to the nurse and/or doctor and get their opinion for a bit more reassurance. Congratulations on the new hip and good-bye OA pain!!

8. EricNH

EricNH junior member

Hi, I had my right hip done on 7/30/18. I also had a lot of numbness but it seems to be less and less each day. I still have some down the front of the thigh. Icing helps a lot and it just takes time. I was out walking the block for the first time post surgery today. It was nice to do a little walking plus PT was here. I am tired tonight.

9. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Numbness isn't a bad thing it will pass. Keep up with the pain meds and icing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the replies. I am not too concerned about the numbness as it seems only skin deep (can feel heat, cold and pressure in the fatty tissue and muscle. Docs looked at it and have no concerns either. I have felt similar numbness when the same hip was scoped... only my numbness went from my groin down (including my little guy)... that freaked me out. But after a few weeks sensation began to return. Took a year for the skin to feel normal again. I suspect this will be the same. Just curious how many posterior folks also have inner thigh numbness.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chemtech

Chemtech new member

I was asking a similar question earlier today. I had a posterior-lateral surgery on 7/30. Then, 4 days after surgery, I am having numbness on the inside of the surgical leg from the knee to the ankle. An area that I would find unusual since it it no where near the hip and it's on the medial (inner) part of the lower leg. I will ask doc about next week during post op appointment.

12. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    From what I understand, there are three likely causes (in no particular order). First is the epidural. It can damage a nerve superficially... causin numbness at the skin. The second likely cause is the clamps they use when you are on the table put pressure on a number of different nerves, compressing them. The last likely cause is inflammation putting pressure on the nerve. In all three causes, sensation should return in time... as far as I understand.

On a different note, my groin is very sore. Just curious if this is common. It makes doing the lying abductor exercises difficult ( hard to bring my leg back in). Anyone else?

13. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Lying abductor exercises can make your groin sore and you are only a few days out of surgery too!
    Don't do anything but what you have to and let all that settle down.
    That leg is traumatized and doesn't need stressing.
    Ice all you can and short walks is all that's needed at this point.
    I get that the PT issue is confusing..if you don't use it, you lose it...etc.:doh:
    Totally false.
    Exercising this early out just slows healing and hinders recovery.
    Take a breather...try not to let these initial recovery sensations cause you anxiety.
    Almost always temporary...I learned about PT the hard way.
    All hips need is walking...and this early out...not too much of that.
    Hope all eases soon:yes:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  14. dlp

dlp senior

I dealt with this after my first surgery. Your adductor muscles pull in the thigh, and the abductors move it outward. My adductors were super tight after surgery, so had some issues doing that movement as well. Was dealing with that for a few weeks post-op. Thanks to the bad hips, I required PT to deal with them and other muscle issues -- but that was several weeks after surgery. For now, I'd take it easy and see if icing doesn't help out.

• Useful Useful x 3
  15. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the reply. I have had a weak groin since I tore it back whenI was 25 (41 now). I have to remember that hip replacement replaces the arthritic hip, not the scar tissue for other injuries. I suspect my physio will be long and drawn out. Before my surgery (for at least a few years), I could not extend my leg behind me, or bring it up towards my chest past 45 degrees. As a result, my hip flexors are both very tight and very weak. Look forward to reconditioning those bad boys soon.

16. dlp

dlp senior

Yeah, I had a long row to hoe with PT post first surgery (lower back problems, adductors, quads). Kept at it in preparation for the second one, too. Take it very easy the first weeks and remember - especially at your age! - that you have plenty of time to fix the other things. Let the hip get better, and all else should fall into place eventually.

Dealing with iliopsoas this time around (I'm almost 4 weeks out from hip #2), so still can't drive, but it's slowly coming together. Don't rush it and happy recovery!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Hi all,

A question for everyone regarding nerve pain. Before my surgery I would get pain that would shoot down the front of my thing, over my knee and into my shin. When I had the hip scope a few years back, the pain resolved for a time. However, as my joint became more arthritic, the nerve pain returned. It seemed to be related to activity level, and inflammation.

Anyway, I am four days post op, and this nerve pain is the only real pain I feel. I think it is related to the swelling, but I am finding it difficult to get relief (unfortunately, pain meds don’t touch nerve pain at all). Normally, I would lie on my left side and the pain would go away, but since that is my operated side, that will not fly. Just wondering who else experienced this kind of pain, and how you got some relief in the early days. Also, did your pain completely resolve, or continue after recovery?

Cheers!

18. wonkyhipoy

wonkyhipoy member

Canada Canada
    Well, since everyone else is documenting there recovery, I figure I should start also. I had a left THR on the 9th of August (afternoon), and was home the next day. I am beginning to realize my expectations for recovery and the reality do not align well. For example, I imagined the pain to be more felt in the hip area, rather than the groin, thigh, hip flexor and hamstring. Honestly thought the sawed off bone and metal shaft inserted into it would hurt way more than the stretches and pulled muscles and nerves.

I am also both ahead and behind where I thought I’d be 4 days post op. For example, I did not expect to be down to one crutch already (as of the third day), but I also did not expect to have to go back to two due to pain when bearing weight. The first set back and it’s only 4 days in...lol. C’est la vi.

Other things I did not expect include the constant nerve pain, but muscle cramps, and feeling couped up so quickly. Also, using the raised toilet seat was both a challenging and disgusting experience. It is seriously a torture device in my opinion.

All in all it has been an up and down recovery thus far... which I did expect... just expected different ups and downs. Hey read on a website that the six week mark is where most hip replacement patients start to feel their hip is better than before surgery. I certainly hope that is the case, it when I had my hip scoped, it took considerably longer. So I am prepared for a long haul... at least, I think I am prepared... guess we’ll see.

I will try to post regular updates on my progress.

Cheers

19. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@wonkyhipoy
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

20. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

It is surprising that after what they do to your bones that you don't have deep bone pain. Instead what you end up with is an incredible anatomy lesson of every muscle related to your lower body as you try to define what's hurting today. That along with all of the undefinable zips,zaps,shocks and internal itches.

• Agree Agree x 4