Wish me luck!

Ruby9297

senior
Country
United States United States
I'm on my way to the hospital for my LTKR surgery . Surgery is scheduled for 11:00 Pacific time. Wish me luck! I'll see you on the other side!

Here is your recovery reading, Ruby:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

We are all with you Ruby.. See ya after!

Thanks everyone. I started my recovery thread on the post-op side, entitled "Ruby's Tuesday" Everything went quite well. When I probed my surgeon for details, he then admitted that there had been a slight "hiccup". Apparently, after all parts of the implant were cemented in, and he'd ised the trial spacers to make sure everything was bending/straightening/working correctly, he set about to put me back together again when he noticed that one part of the implant had rotated and had come out of perfect alignment. He had to take everything apart, remove the entire implant, including the cement, and put another one in. Translate this to mean thousands of dollars thrown down the loo because of the discarded implant. He told me I am the first patient he's had that this happen to. I have had minimal pain for the most part, but unbearable pain when getting into/ out of bed or the car. I'm glad to be on the "other side", and I feel blessed to have a devoted husband who is constantly at my beck and call.

Yay minus the pain you're on this side and he caught it before he closed you up. You'll be well in weeks
:wowspring::roseshwr:

We are here for you day and night. What a blessing that he found the problem while you were still on the table!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom