TKR Winner winner, chicken dinner! Bionic Liz's new RTKA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my knee looks like that too. When I first sit down there's a strong tightening and feeling of restriction but it soon wears off and is completely OK. Don't know what this means. There's certainly a big dip in the centre of the scar when I bend it. My suggestion? Don't look at it!

Mine is like that too! Lots of little dips like sand dunes and stretched white and tight when I sit down. It even has that forked effect like a serpent`s tongue (a very fat serpent`s tongue). I`ll try and get a picture of it later, if I remember. I`m not particularly bothered by it as it`ll settle down in time.

Oh dear, sounds like it`s all catching up on the hubster. Head down, carry on and keep eating the ice cream :)

Oh yes ice cream - eat some and plaster some on your knee! Multi tasking at its most fun - and you could do with some fun I reckon after the week you've had.

I think your incision will settle down, given time, Liz.

Don't forget that you will still have lots of internal sutures that can take quite a long time to dissolve completely. It's entirely possible that some of these are still pulling tissues together. These will separate a bit and all the lumps and bumps will disappear.

I don't think you need to do anything to help that healing process. Do remember that, just because the skin incision is healed, there are still deeper layers that need longer.

I hope your husband continues to make progress.
If he's up and about, he must be feeling a lot better.

@L.I.T Hi Liz, glad to hear hubby is up and about, that's a good thing. I know when my husband had his heart attack, it was really hard for him to face hours own mortality. For months he would refer to it as his "thing". He wouldn't say heart attack, it was too scary for him. His concern was that he had to be around to take care of me. He was grumpy and moody. It's a life changing experience. I hope he continues to get better.

You've been under a lot of mental and physical stress so your knee I'm sure will be back to the new normal soon. It does look swollen, maybe that's why you feel tight.

I'm keeping you both in my prayers. Feel better soon!

Hugs! :friends:

You have a spirit about you. This must be a difficult time, so keep your vibrant personality in check, and you will make it through this.

@L.I.T Hey girl, worried about you. Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs!

Hi Liz, @L.I.T

I'm thinking of you and your husband and wondering how you are both doing.
Drop us a quick line, if you can. :friends:

I second that. Hope all OK if not necessarily well.

Yes, Liz, hope you're still able to baby that knee a bit.

Hope you are doing okay today. Your incision looks great. Pamper baby knee when you can. Hope hubby is feeling a bit better everyday.

I can relate to Grumpy Hubby. Since August 2015, my husband has been on a roller coaster of health issues -- A-fib, pneumonia, and most recently, flu. He truly felt his mortality with the pneumonia (it was undiagnosed for three months -- we thought it was just a-fib symptoms). I knew he was struggling to deal with mortality issues (he has always acted like he was going to live forever). He would snap at me about it as if I didn't have a clue what he was dealing with, and maybe, since I'm 23 years younger, I didn't, but I've pondered my mortality quite a bit in recent years, too.

I sometimes thought he should stay in bed and rest, but I finally realized I valued him struggling to remain up and about as much as possible. It will be a terrible time for both of us when the day comes that he is not able to get out of bed. A year ago, he would get out of bed in the morning, get dressed, come downstairs, eat breakfast, and then go back up and get back in bed to take a nap for a couple hours. He has improved to the point where he feels about 95% of what he was. Then he got the flu two weeks ago and is struggling back from it now, but he's recovering. It sounds like your husband is similar in tenacity. Here's praying his recovery continues.

Liz, your knee looks pretty puffy! I'm so glad your hubby is doing better and at home. It must be terribly difficult to both be in need of TLC at the same time. What an ordeal you have been through! Know I'm thinking about you both here In Chi town and sending good vibes and prayers your way. I hope you both progress towards wellness and your strength and adventurousness can resume. One day at a time. In the mean time try to sneak in some ice and elevation.

She emerges!

Hubby is doing relatively well - still on O2, but certainly has not settled himself down! He's been vacuum packing his 'survivalist' rations, playing on the computer, and even baking bread. He's rigged himself a nifty 75 ft oxygen tube so that he can traverse most of the house. What he didn't figure was that one of our 20lb cats would see it as a piece of 'string' to be chased... So often hubby will be walking only to have his O2 tube pull off - with 20lbs of boy-cat sitting on top and wrestling the darned thing! :catbutterfly:

We've been trying to keep busy - a trip to the grocery one day, movie the next. Today a previously scheduled ENT appt. He's getting pretty used to loading the O2 tank in the vehicle, but he may need to take some O2 driving lessons, as the tank hits counter corners and the legs of chairs more often than not :doh:

His mood is up and down. There's not been a lot of improvements while *off* oxygen, so I'm sure he's frightened about that. He also still has the back pain - but then he will swing to the side of being happy to be alive.... All to be expected, I'm sure. Emotionally, I'm in 'survival' and 'caretaker' numb mode - having to make sure he's hooked himself up to the right oxygen source...adjusting his dislodged canula... Or remembering to turn his pulse-ox alarm on before he goes to sleep. He still needs assistance with some things - and he is often tired, so I'm holding down the fort as best I can (and trying to clean it as I go!).

I randomly have flashbacks - these still pictures in my mind that bring a wave of emotion as if I'm living the event again. But luckily they are getting less frequent. I have a lot of cries that need to happen, but with all that is going on, haven't quite found the time. So the dam is up, and I'm just trying to let a little bit out at a time.

Knee seemed to take a turn toward the better yesterday (I *really* hope I didn't jinx myself saying that!) - I even went on a 1/2 mile walk in our neighborhood (a record for me with all the swelling). It swelled up nicely, but tylenol handled the pain last night, and that is good! Realized today that I can sit down and get up from the toilet fairly comfortably without using my arms or hands. Woo hoo! It's the little things! Them again, we have the high seat toilets, so not sure if I would fall into the toilet or not if I used a regular height potty :yikes: Still have night pain - some nights I'd like to rip my leg off, others (like last night) were relatively minor. So even the knee is behaving.... Well, as well as a toddler knee can :wink:

Haven't had much outdoor time.... Still too afraid to leave the house (2 more weeks while he is considered 'high risk' for a recurrence), but looking forward to a day when I can go get a massage, walk in the park, or 'get my nails did' :eyebrows:

Unfortunately, b/w updating family and friends, I have been reticent to type any more than necessary, or to browse the net much. Instead, we managed to binge watch "Bosch" and are now on to "the Designated Survivor".

Hopefully things will continue to improve with Bill and I'll be back to hang around more this coming week. Maybe I can even gripe about my knee.... Just for old times sake :loll:

Thank you guys for checking on me! I do believe I have some thread catching-up to do!

:roseshwr: for the green lighters. And a hearty hand shake for our @Spex10! :cool:

Aw, good to read your update Liz albeit not withstanding how difficult a time it has been and continues to be. I hope hubby continues to improve and that these next two weeks, especially, fly by.

Good for the cats for providing some amusement - however irksome!

Huge hugs and flashing green lights

:console2:

Glad to hear you're doing OK, Liz, and hubby is also managing pretty well, considering.

Great to hear from you Liz. With all that you've got going on we must be about the last thing on your mind. A handshake from me with possibly a small pat too.

I love that he's vacuum packing his survival rations! It sounds as if your humor is getting you through, Liz. Thanks for checking in. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back