Ankle Willisk2004 Ankle Fusion

Willisk2004

Country
United States United States
I did not have a Tar I went straight to a triple fusion using Hindfoot tibial rod! Due to less than 40% nerve function and the ligaments and tendons being shot! As well as bone on bone from cartilage loss!

My problem started six years ago with a spinal cord injury, leaving me with drop foot and weakness in the left leg.

Over the years I spent a lot of time in casts or boots to tighten the tendons and ligaments non surgical every time I rolled it! Before surgery I was not able to walk on it without uncontrollable swelling and on 11/02/20 I was rushing to hospital with a infection in my leg and foot from the swelling.

After 3 days on iv antibiotics and 6 days at home on antibiotics, I met with my orthopedic doctor again and said enough!
He told me that I had put off any surgical intervention too long and the only option I was left with was a full fusion, essentially turning my ankle joint into part of my tibia!

He performed the surgery on 12/2/20 and I’m 11days post op. This is by far the second most brutal surgery I’ve had, the first being multi level spinal fusion! I totally underestimated how much pain I would experience or how long I was going to be down.

I’m finally weened off the heavy pain meds from post surgery and only take my baseline meds for my back and we added tramadol on the ninth to assist my baseline meds!

I was told I’ll be non-weight-bearing for 12-16 weeks, depending on bone growth, as I have neuropathy and poor blood flow!

I’m getting a better outlook each day, considering my options were full fusion with the rod and 11 screws and two bolts ( he said they're in my heel and based on size compared to screws lol ) and he tightened all the ligaments and my Achilles’ tendon while he was in there, as my leg will still try to use those to stabilize the joint !

Or I could have said "enough" and opted to remove my ankle and foot to avoid any more infections or swelling.
He said some people choose that after multiple failed procedures and infections and looking at another painful surgery and 16 weeks of waiting to find out if it worked or not and then possibly losing it anyways !
I told him I got nothing to lose pun intended!

That the hope that I can walk semi normal ( already had limp for six years ) and play with the kids and hike! All without a cast or boot or medical devices other than rocker bottom shoes, I take that chance!

@Willisk2004
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

Understandable why your ankle has hurt so much after your infection followed by a triple ankle fusion.
Hoping your foot/ankle pain continues to decrease, and you can become more mobile.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?
Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back