Revision THR will I ever reach the end of this drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millie4162

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have been looking and learning from the site for many weeks or even months. So many lovely people sharing and helping each other. I thought i would like to be in on the fun :)
Its 6 weeks since i had my shiny new hip and my pelvis rebuilt after a lifetime of problems and surgery. It is in fact my 36th hip surgery.
I was very upset not being allowed to walk for 6 week post-op. Today is the 6 week mark and i can at last put my foot down and walk.
Am so pleased i want to shout it from the rooftops :dancy:

hi. I have had most of my surgery in C&W. They have flattened it now.
most of the staff are now on the unit at Walsgrave so stilll got fantastic care.
when did you leave Coventry ?
i was a regular there from 1979 untill they closed it and moved to Walsgrave.
thanks for the links. I have read several and found them very helpfull :SUNsmile:

Oh long before that - 1965-66!

Millie no need to go on the rooftops you can tell your one happy person. I don't have to tell you to take things easy small doses to begin with is always the best plan.

Billy

Think i need to take your advice Billy. I am expecting to be able to be walk around as nornal. Am finding it very hard gettin going and am feeling fed up today as am sore. :sad:

Slow and steady Millie. It took some time for you to get to this point - things won't happen overnight. Stay positive - this is just a temporary situation for a lifetime of activity.

Hi Millie

A very close friend (member) suggested to me at the beginning of my recovery - remember it is a marathon, not a sprint..

I have remembered that comment and as Jaycey said, slow and steady wins the race.

Could you add a signature block to your profile, it is helpful to see the date frame of your surgery etc - thanks :)

eHow to create a signature

Evening all
Very cold here today. Decided to go into town to do a little christmas shopping. Not a good move. Was too busy and cold. Now my hip is sore and I am in a bad mood. :boohoo:

Sorry you are hurting Millie! Christmas shopping is painful enough - let alone after THR! Rest is prescribed. You are right - it's bitter cold. Snuggle up with a good movie or book and rest that new hip. A bit of over the counter pain relief if needed as well.

Evening all.
Had a much better day. Had a lot of pain am but think is from my back not my hip. Sat with a heat pad on my back and took extra meds and felt much better. Managed to cook a full sunday roast and do washing and tidying up.
Can anybody tell me if i am doing meds right please ?
oxycon 10mg morning and night
oxynorm 5mg lunchtime
i can take paracetamol as needed but not sure if i am taking too much already to take them. Took 2 mid morning today and its made a big diffrence.
Thanks all :kittykiss:

Hi Millie

Great to hear about your better day! You have to love your heat pad. I will leave it to the experts to comment on your medication but it does not seem too different to mine at that stage. Roast!! Roast what? We will be right over, pity we can't share a bottle of wine. Don't push the domestic chores too hard. The dust will be there when you are feeling stronger...

Cheers

Mike

Evening Everybody
Hope you are all safe and well.
been to see my new consultant today and have my 6 week check. Everything seems to be ticking along. Thet are arranging for me to have some Physio to help get me running. I have never been offered physio before so that will be a new experience.
My walking is getting better every day so i am pleased but wish the pain would settle without having to take extra meds all the time.:kittykiss:

Hi Millie. It's very early on for you, and controlling pain is an important part of recovery. Some folks are happy with just a few tylenol/paracetamol everyday....others need a whole lot more. You do what is right for YOU. The goal is to take enough meds to enable you to sleep reasonably well, and to function all day at a comfortable level. It's much easier to get on a regular schedule that stays AHEAD of the pain, than to try to play catch-up by waiting for it to get really bad. If what you're taking now is working, then stay with it, especially as you start PT and put some extra demands on your leg. If it's not working, then add in the paracetamol that makes all the difference for you. You'll find that you gradually go longer between meds, or you forget to take a dose and it's no problem. That's a good indication that you can start cutting out that dose. Try that for four or five days, and see how it goes. Then target another dose to cut back on. Slowly....gradually....remaining comfortable. You won't become a drug addict, really. The pain WILL settle, but it might take another month or two. That's okay.

Also....you could let the Sunday roast, and the washing and tidying up slide by a while longer. If you're having pain, and backache, you may need more rest and less busywork. No one ever starved to death because they didn't get a Sunday roast. :)

Sharon

Hi Millie - 100% agree with Sharon- you are pushing this recovery a bit. I know you are six weeks out, but it's still early days. If you are struggling with the pain not settling your body is trying to tell you something. Listen and learn. Slow down and leave the chores and cooking for a bit. It won't be long before you are back to doing it all.

BTW - can you please put your surgery date in your signature for us like Poppet suggested in post #8?

Hi all
Had a very busy day yesterday. Lots of visiters and managed to go shopping on my own. Before you tell me off i did borrow an electric scooter to go around the store :tada:Was lovely to be able to drive myself there and do my own shopping although it may be an on-line job when I am back at work. Also had the dreaded flu jab so now am the proud owner of an egg size lump on my arm.
Am sleeping much better at the moment so feel better in the day. Thanks Jaycey and Sharon i am going to carry om with my meds and not cut down for a while yet.
I know i seem to be in a rush to get going but I do have my reasons. I am my husbands carer and also the only wage earner in the house. The pennies are getting low so I need to get sorted soI am starting back to work next week for 2 days then plan to be back full time on 21st. I dont have a choice really.
I am trying really hard to build rest into daily jobs but as there is only me to do them all its not easy.
I am feeling really good at the mo and so pleased I have got my new hip.
Am starting to write a present list tomorrow them if its not too cold will start christmas shopping on Saturday :dancy:
Hope you have all had a goo day
xx

Hi Millie, so glad you are doing a phased return to work. Very important in those first few days when you are trying to get past the stamina issue. Please let us know how you get on!

Hi Millie,

I can imagine you zooming all around the shops doing your Christmas shopping. Hope you find it lots of fun.

I agree with Jaycey, return to work is tough stuff. Like you I had my reasons to return after 4 weeks and found the energy drain was huge. Now two weeks later its still a battle. Good to hear your return will be taken more slowly than mine. I hope it goes well for you.

Kind regards

Mike

Evening all
Well borrowed a scooter and tried to do some christmas shopping. The town was packed, it was raining and sooo cold. Couldnt stand the pain in my knee in the end so came home only half done. having a nice warm rest now

Evening all
worked 2 days this week and it feels like friday.
Still needing all my meds to control pain but walking is getting better.
Doing 2 more weeks of 2 days then back to full time on 21st ! Got physio appointment on 23rd so that should be interesting. still seem to need lots of sleep though ?
Have a good evening :kittykiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member