THR Wiggle’s post-op hip surgery journey

Oh dear, sorry to read that you are struggling with pain! For me, the third day after any surgery seems to be a tough one, but then it can also happen on other days and isn't limited to one circumstance.
there are different ways to elevate and I accomplished the most comfy way by lying back in my recliner.. Do you have anything like that?
I want to leave you an article on proper ways to elevate, maybe this will help you get comfortable.
I sincerely hope you call your OS office, even if it's after hours and ask for something extra for your pain. Several of us had an extra boost with a prescribed anti inflammatory or something for nerve pain, like Lyrica or Gabapentin. They won't know to add anything extra if you don't tell them.
I know it can be intimidating to ask them, I'm sure you feel like you should be able to cope but remember, the Doctors are there to keep us comfortable.

I hope you can get a comfortable night's sleep tonight.

Last edited:
Icing issues. I bought 4 Flexi mold ice gel pads and made some homemade ice bags. I don’t feel I’m getting adequate icing bc they get warm so fast ( 1 hr. or less). I bought g to he gel pads after reading the suggestions on here, 18 mos. ago, following my last hip replacement. Still having pain and swelling. I’m taking Oxy every 4 hrs. and Tylenol 325’s every 6 hrs. Not sure where to go from here. I was really uncomfortable all night and my husband was asleep so I tried to get to vouch, to elevate leg but it was too painful do I had to go back to my recliner. I can’t elevate my leg so swelling is inevitable.

May I rename my thread to “Wiggle’s post-op hip surgery journey.”
Ty.

I am interested in hearing how everyone iced their hip and what they found most effective. I hesitate to buy a machine for $200 if it isn’t necessary.

@wiggle Hi there, I did not have the same procedure as you, I had Hip Arthroscopy for a Labral Tear and FAI mixed Hip Impingement. But, I do have an ice machine…they sent me home from the hospital with it and it is my best friend! I highly recommend one. Perhaps your insurance will cover it somehow? Anyhow, I think you would definitely benefit from it if it’s something you can do!

I am interested in hearing how everyone iced their hip and what they found most effective. I hesitate to buy a machine for $200 if it isn’t necessary.
I used a very large ice packet that I received at my surgery site. It was made up of two pockets, sewn down the middle, so it actually held two ice packs. Each pocket had a Velcro closure at one end for easy removal of the gel packs to re-freeze. What I loved about it is that I could open it wide to cover a larger area, or if folded in half, it lasted longer than a thinner single gel pack. If you weren’t directed to ice, please start ASAP. I found it to be such a comfort and can’t imagine my recovery without ICE. I didn’t have a ice machine but if the budget allows, go for it. It seems everyone loves their ice machine. Kind of the same as recliners, they are not a necessity for recovery, but most who have them love them as they’re healing.
I hope today is a good one!

I’m taking Oxy every 4 hrs. and Tylenol 325’s every 6 hrs. Not sure where to go from here.
I have encouraged you a few times to contact your surgeon’s office, I hope you’re not offended, but I want you to gain relief through better pain control. I am sure they will be more than helpful and sympathetic to your pain. Normally there is a surgeon on call on weekends or your surgeon’s PA. I spoke to my surgeon’s PA on a Sunday once.

I would ask if you can substitute the Tylenol 325mg every 6 hrs with Extra Strength Tylenol 500mg, 1-2 tabs every 6 hrs, as needed, for better pain control.You need permission from your surgeon though, so please call and hopefully you’ll receive a nod and begin noticing a decrease in pain. You should not exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. Any other meds you're taking that contain Acetaminophen must be calculated into that amount of 4000 mg. Again, If interested, check with your surgeon’s office for approval. Keep us updated, we’ll be here. Best wishes!

@CoffeandCrafts
Which one do you have?
@wiggle The brand is called “DONJOY” and here’s a tip for you if you do get one… rather than filling it up with ice cubes constantly you just fill it partly with water and then use filled frozen plastic water bottles as your ice cubes. They last a really long time and it keeps it running nice and cold!

Attachments

• 8976E134-3AFC-46F6-B264-999A039584D9.jpeg
    8976E134-3AFC-46F6-B264-999A039584D9.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 075D3210-009D-495D-A607-D27F83DBFDEA.jpeg
    075D3210-009D-495D-A607-D27F83DBFDEA.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 54
My insurance is Kaiser Permanente and I was sent home with two ice machines since I’m a bilateral. I was shocked that I don’t have to return them.

We kept 4 water bottles frozen in the freezer and used 4 frozen water bottles in the machines, for each machine.

I personally found the hip wraps to be cumbersome. I only used my ice machines for two weeks. After that I used long gel packs that I had previously purchased.

Mine were also DonJoys, same as above.

Good morning. I wasn’t able to find my thread so if I’m posting in the wrong place, moderator please move my post. Thanks so much.

I have a couple of questions. I am now 2 weeks out from anterior, RTHR. First one was done 18 mos. ago.
1). My surgeon gave me Oxycodone (5 mg) every 4 hrs. and Tylenol. I am a little cautious about Oxy so I have been stretching it out to 6 hrs. in between. I haven’t been taking the Tylenol. I am wondering what others have taken OTC, if weaning off the narcotic pain meds. They said I can’t take Tramadol bc, I am on Oxy and both are narcotics. Also I’m not allowed to take any NSAIDS, due to blood thinning issues. I get a lot of discomfort after 6 hrs. of using only Oxy. I will be seeing my surgeon’s PA tomorrow for follow-up.

2) I have been getting painful swelling in my ankle area. I have been attempting to elevate my foot above my heart but I am sleeping in my recliner and find it almost impossible to assume that position for any length of time. I get ancy laying flat with my leg elevated and either fall asleep a lot during the day (then can’t sleep at night) or have to keep getting up for bathroom breaks then I’m not able to stack all the pillows back up by myself. My husband helps but he went back to work and keeping myself in that position, isn’t possible. I did read the articles on icing, proper elevation of leg., etc.
Any suggestions willl be very much appreciated. Have a blessed day!

:wave:@wiggle
I moved your post to your original thread.
Here is a link for an easy way to find it.

Regarding your meds... When I quit taking my opiate meds, I began using Tramadol and Tylenol with my doctor's permission with a schedule suggested by our Nurse Emeritus Josephine who provided this chart.

Screenshot_20220214-082416.jpg

It was really effective.
I also found that using the maximum allowed dose of Tylenol alone after I dropped Tramadol was more effective than what I thought it would be as it never touched pre-op pain.
You just have to make sure none of your other meds contain acetomenophen (even alot of cold/sinus meds now include it)
Perhaps you can discuss this option with the doctor's office tomorrow?

:oyvey:I have been getting painful swelling in my ankle area. I have been attempting to elevate my foot above my heart but I am sleeping in my recliner and find it almost impossible to assume that position for any length of time. I get ancy laying flat with my leg elevated and either fall asleep a lot during the day (then can’t sleep at night) or have to keep getting up for bathroom breaks then I’m not able to stack all the pillows back up by myself
I sympathize as I went through this period also during my recovery. I admit I could only put "toes above nose" for brief periods and staying in any position for too long also made me antsy and uncomfortable.
I think that time helped the most (not super helpful, I know)
Icing is still important, and maybe even icing your ankle.
It's hard to get things right by yourself... Maybe the PA will have some thoughts?

My feet and ankles did swell a bit, especially when I had been up a bit so try to stay as chill as possible.:ice:
When my husband started leaving me during the day, I got frustrated with the effort of getting up to re-up on ice, and in and out of my recliner and trying to get comfy again.
It did keep me moving, I guess.
:umm:
I was napping alot too...and up and down at night.
All Temporary became my mantra.
Sending healing hugs your way as you get through the tough bits.
:friends:

Oxy withdrawal. I saw PA at the surgeon’s office yesterday. I have been feeling restless trying to decrease Oxy. They said to only decrease doseage in two hour increments; I.e. 6 hrs. down to 8 hrs., to 10, 12, etc. Any idea how many days I need to remain at each level. I am restless and not sleeping. I’m taking 2/500 mg. of acetaminophen in between, which helps with pain but not agitation and restlessness from Oxy. Stool softeners aren’t working real well either. Lots of water helps some. Also I can’t drive until I’m off all Oxy!

Hi @wiggle

The short answer is 2-3 days at each level.
As we are all different, some may need to step down more slowly.

From what I have read, many recommend that the interval between doses remain the same and lower the dose itself until it cannot be lowered further.
In my opinion, and I'm not a doctor, many on the forum that are reducing their pain medication found it helpful to change the dose first and the interval second.

Once that final lowered dose is implemented, it becomes appropriate to start increasing the time between doses.

You may not be able to do this as easily if it requires splitting pills, however.

Opiates really caused constipation issues for me too.:nah:
Stool softeners help by increasing the amount of water the stool absorbs in the gut so lots of water is helpful.
I had to resort to a laxative (Miralax) at one point at my recovery as things still weren't moving along.
Eventually dropping the pain meds did resolve the issue.

The rough parts of recovery :sigh:
There certainly is a lot of light at the end of this tunnel, So hang in there, Hippy Pal!

Last edited:
Is it Ok to take 4000 mg of acetaminophen. I noticed on the bottle it says 3000 is the daily limit but I printed off a regimen from this website that says the upper limit is 4000 mg per day. I’d like to wean off Oxy by using acetaminophen but wonder if 3000 mg will be enough for a week or two?

We often recommend Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg, every six hours, but no more than 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You must also calculate anything else containing Acetominiphin into the 4000 mg so you're not exceeding that amount.

If you’re uncomfortable with 4000 mg, try 3000 mg and see if it offers you adequate relief.

I don’t think the 4000 mg should be a concern unless you struggle with some type of sensitivity issues while taking it. You‘re only talking a week or two, not prolonged use. I’d advise you speak with your surgeon’s office, or you Primary Care Physician for reassurance. Best of luck to you!
@wiggle

Everyone’s pain level is different I know but I did not like oxy, took it for day one and two. On day three I just took 1000 mg of Tylenol three times a day. That does take care of my pain but check with your docs office if you are worried. I am one of this annoying patients who just try things!

It is hard to manage the discomfort of the first week or so. But I hated the dizzy feeling I got from the oxy .

Today I have soreness in my left arm from using one crutch!!! Which has taught me that I need to work more on my scrany arms!!

I am a soccer player, ski instructor, biker, hiker and I see a problem with my arms that have not had the attention my legs have had!

I’ll try 4000 and reduce to 3000 after a week. I don’t like Oxy. Dr. said I could take 3000 with Oxy so 4000 w/o Oxy. should b ok short term.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back