Why implants loosen/fail over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo please explain very very completely
Only a few of us,,like you and me,,really understand all this junk. I mean all this stuff,,,I mean,,,well you know Jo,!

Uh ......yeah,right!!! Sure ya do, Mr. Mark!!! (:)0). I guess you and Judy have been discussing it nightly just like Jay and I. (????). Yikes!!!! Hope you're having a good day, kiddo! You know I gest!!! (:)0)

No,,my Judy does not understand either,,just me,,:hehe:

Jo please explain very very completely
Only a few of us,,like you and me,,really understand all this junk. I mean all this stuff,,,I mean,,,well you know Jo,!

Explain what, exactly?!

Haha! That WHOLE article that YOU translated in your inimitable form, Jo!!!! (:)0)

When the surgeon implants a knee or hip, they will creat a very intimate fit between the implant and the bone, either by cementing the part in place or using a slightly larger, roughened one (press fit). The bottom line is that over time the polyethylene (plastic) insert will wear and the microscopic wear particles will be in the joint fluid that washes throughout the hip or knee joint. These particles are attacked as foreign bodies by the immune system and removed from the joint. Unfortunately, these particles are approximately the same size as bone cells that the implants are attached to. As the body attacks the plastic wear particles, it can't differentiate and attacks the bone cells as well. This process causes the surface area of the bone where the implant is attached to break down and the intimate fit of the implant to bone is disrupted, causing loosening. This process is known as aseptic (absence of infection) osteolysis (osteo=bone, lysis=destruction). This is the typical reason the implants will loosen. The companies are working very hard to come up with materials that won't wear (thus ceramic and metal bearings), but all materials as of now have issues.

The picture below shows how the once tight fit on the bottom end of the stem is now a large opening, as the bone inside the femur has been resorbed. You can see that the bone on the greater trochanter (upper right of the pic) is gone, allowing the joint fluid to flow down into the femur.

HipResur3fHist22.jpg

This is what it should look like-tight fit of the bone along the length of the hip stem

awww.xrayregistry.com_registry_data_media_2_DePuy_AML_Hip_with_Pinnacle_300_series_Cup.jpg

Hope this helps explain...

THANKS!!! And let me be the first to welcome you to Bonesmart, Matalie!!! :thmb:

Boy, I read the easy to understand version and thought to myself....:shk:HUH!
Was I ever relieved when I starting reading all the posts and found out that nearly everyone else was as lost as I was with the explanation...my PKR is on September 21st so for now I am going to think positively stay in the dark about what is in the article and not try to figure out why they might possibly fail...Sissy

Sissy,
That is a great idea. Why worry about something that probably won't happen. If it does...then worry!

Boy, I read the easy to understand version and thought to myself....:shk:HUH!
Was I ever relieved when I starting reading all the posts and found out that nearly everyone else was as lost as I was with the explanation...my PKR is on September 21st so for now I am going to think positively stay in the dark about what is in the article and not try to figure out why they might possibly fail...Sissy

Hi Sissy,
I like the way you think,
I like to stay in the dark also,:hehe:
Very good luck on the 21st:thmb:

OYE!!!!! Positive!!! THINK POSITIVE!! START NOW!!!:skp::skp::skp::skp:
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Hot digg-a-dee that was great Matalie!!!!
Thanks ever so much!!!! Tomorrow when
My head clears I 'm going to ask you a few
questions ok??? You explain things so even
I abie-normal could understand!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member