Why Im so worried and terrified of THR?

Gretelin

Country
United States United States
Sorry,everyone I had to cancelled surgery because I was in total fear, I went on you tube and saw a surgery done. Now, I scheduled a cortisone shot for Oct.24. Can you give me some input on THR. Im in pain only when I walk a lot. Please,help. Im 49 yo. My world has been turned upside down. Depression has built in with palpitations at night do to anxiety and the fear of the unknowing. Thank you beautiful courageous people.

:yes!:Hi @Gretelin and welcome to the forum.
YouTube video of surgery:scare:before surgery.
Some want to be as informed as they can get, but I must say I avoided all of this and tried not to over google either.
I had both my hips replaced at age 53 a few years back, and am ever so glad I didn't put it off.
I'm happier and healthier than I've been on many many years.
I suppose you know that the cortisone injection will put off this surgery...usually by 3 months irregardless of how much relief you get for what length of time.
I know this is scary, but the prospect of living in chronic pain and not sleeping was scarier to me.
I love my new hips.
I hope the injection brings you relief if that is the way you have chosen to go.
Unfortunately, if it is OA that is the culprit... it won't fix itself.

Aww, I'm so sorry. First...a big warm hug to you. Major surgery is anxiety producing and frightening. It's too bad you watched the video because you can't un-see it. Please know we all were fearful to varying degrees as we made the decision to schedule surgery, also while waiting for our date to arrive. We understand through personal experience. We're here to console, encourage and support one another so stick with us, we'll be here for you.

I was terrified myself and remember it well. I cried myself to sleep many a night, so I understand. I haven't regretted the surgery for one minute. It took away my pain and gave me my life back.

I wasn't in constant pain either. Rarely took any OTC meds mainly because I don't like them. Getting in and out of my vehicle, especially out, was super painful, as was trying to turn in bed. But I could sit for hours and not know anything was wrong. We all progress differently. However, I've only ever read here how painful a hip collapse is and I certainly wouldn't want to risk that.

The odds are in your favor that you'll do well. The great majority do very well and those are the stories you're not reading here because they're back living life again.

Sometimes we simply take a chance in hopes of a better life. No one goes into this surgery without fear, anxiety or reservation. No one wants to lose their natural hip. But it's no longer serving you well. You can let doubts rule while suffering discomfort or you can commit to a procedure that will most likely give you a better quality of life. Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before, offering an increase in the likelihood you'll never have to experience this procedure again.

The choice is yours. Continue to struggle physically and emotionally or bravely move forward holding a brighter future as your focus.

Wishing you comfort, mental clarity and peace of mind as you contemplate all.
@Gretelin

I was close to cancelling the night before my THR. It is an operation and shouldn't be taken lightly, but it is the answer to eliminating your pain and allowing you to enjoy your life. I wouldn't and still won't watch the surgery, I saw the cartoon type illustration of it and that was enough to show me what has to be done. I've been in on the slaughtering of enough animals to know how we're assembled and how we have to be disassembled. My THR was more complicated due to pins that were inserted almost 50 years ago which added to the anxiety. Plus I had previously been operated on by a less than competent surgeon that was supposed to have removed them but didn't many years ago. I had to find the right OS for me which gave me the confidence to have it done. Now I'm looking at the other hip and I have apprehension about it, but will have it done. I passed on the cortisone shot as you can read in my thread in the pre-op section. It's not a fix and for me really wasn't worth it.

As others have said, we were all very nervous and apprehensive before our surgery but the thought of totally get rid of the OA pain pushed us forward. I have never watched the video of the surgery because as @Layla said, we can’t un-see it. I’ve seen a more cartoonish version and that was enough for me. I never did try the cortisone shot as I knew it was just putting off the inevitable and I wanted my life back. My hip only hurt when I walked. I slept fine and could sit as much as I wanted without pain although I did have a terrible stiffness when I tried to get back up. Sometimes there would even be a day when I could walk without much of any pain and then all of a sudden I’d get a very sharp pain to remind me of the problem. Finally I felt like I’d just had enough so I scheduled the surgery.

One side effect of the surgery I hadn’t anticipated was that I actually had more energy once my hip was pretty much healed. I hadn’t realized how very draining the pain had been. As you read posts here on the recovery forum, you will see some people who have “issues” I guess you could say. In fact there may be more of those than real positive posts at times. The reason for that is because those who have no problems or issues don’t need as much help and support and they are moving on with their lives off the forum. I was on the forum daily before my surgery and for some weeks after and now I very seldom post because I’m living my life pain free.

One very important thing you need to keep in mind is that you need to find a surgeon you feel very comfortable with. I didn’t use the first OS I visited. I then asked my GP for a recommendation and went to a second OS who I felt was very competent and qualified. He did around 500 hip and knee replacements a year with a very, very high success rate. In fact some of the nurses I had during my hospital stay had also used him or had family members who had used him. That says a lot for his qualifications. If and when I need another joint replacement, I would definitely use him again.

Recovery has a few uncomfortable days but you are given meds to keep the pain under control and honestly it doesn’t last very long. Everyone’s recovery is different but in the end you have your life back and no more pain!! Whatever you decide, I hope you will keep us posted. Everyone here will respect your decision and offer you support. While we may try to convince you one way or the other, we are only providing you with information and trying to be helpful. I wish you well.

Thank you all so very much. I appreciate every person that has responded and giving me positive feedback. I will get the cortisone on the 24 of October. I will let you all know how it went and I will keep you posted. Thank you and thank you again.

@Gretelin I tried the cortisone injection twice. Some people can have a result that can last more than mine did. The first barely helped for 3 months. The second shot not at all. I hope your shot works for you.

Hopefully your shot will help more than mine did. It gave me relief for nine days.
There will be a next hip sometime and I will refuse the shot if offered
Because the shot did little I had pain for 2.5 months longer than necessary
Now 8 weeks post op my hip does not limit me in any way

Go into receiving a cortisone injection well informed.
For some the injection works, buying them time, others it's ineffective.
My understanding is that there is at least a three month waiting period after a cortisone injection before a surgery can be performed. I'll stand corrected if those who've had injections know better. So...if you quickly find out the injection was unsuccessful, I believe you'll have a waiting period to deal with.

It seems you're putting off the inevitable (THR) You can't cover an axe wound with a band aid. I'm viewing the injection that way. Your best bet is figuring out how to wrap your head around surgery. For me, it helped to schedule a surgery date. I then played a silly mental game reminding myself I had an escape clause....I could cancel at any time if I really wanted to. While canceling did cross my mind multiple times, I refrained. I was exhausted from the mental torture I was putting myself through knowing full well the end result would be surgery, at some point.

My heart goes out to you. I understand the anguish as many others do also.
Wishing you peace.
@Gretelin

I would ( and its just my opinion) talk to
the OS office you research and find the waiting time.
You may find it more than three months and if that falls in the window of opportunity for the shot it may reduce your time of pre op pain ( for which no med seems to work well from
my experience and that others report here)

The upshot is for me the actual shot was painful and the surgery not

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back