Patellectomy No Kneecaps and a TKR<

I'm in! We can all limp together! :old:

I went out and started my yearly job of pulling grass and weeds out from between the bricks that make the 'floor' of my patio. Well, daggone it, my 10 month old knee let me know it's not healed yet. I had pains yesterday evening and discomfort during the night. I am sore and slightly stiff this morning. I can't squat to pull out the grass, so I have to bend from my waist. That must pull everything around my knee. So, all of you newbies out there, realize, even at 10 months, a knee is not completely healed yet. Truly, this takes a year or more. Patience, my friends. Yuck, I dislike that word...patience! It's certainly not an easy thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
@sistersinhim, I too went out and was shoveling dirt to fill in holes in my dogs kennel the other day...While my knees took it all with grace, the rest of my body was NOT!! I guess this is what happens when you have spent a couple years not being very active and when you finally are finished with the pain, you find out just how out of shape you have become! I used to run a 30 head beef cattle farm with my ex-husband..I was always doing hard physical work...so my head thinks I can but I guess my body is letting me know it is out of shape. I better pick up the pace this spring...I need to get at least some of my old strength back!!!

At first, my shoulders were giving me a fit because of pushing myself up from chairs. Now that I'm relying on my knees more, my shoulders are doing better. I bet subconsciously you were avoiding any stress on your knees and were using more of the other parts of your body to compensate. No wonder you're sore! And don't I know about being out of shape! My arthritis was so painful I could not work on strengthening my quads and used a cane for over 25 years. Now, that pain is gone in my new knee and I'm, for most of the time, cane-free! How liberating! We'll get our strengths back...in time. It won't happen overnight. Too bad, I want it NOW!

Even at its age, my knee is still getting zingers! Not bad ones, but noticeable. They are in the numb place that is becoming less and less numb! It will be a year old in June and is obviously still healing! This is a long-term investment! But, am I glad I got it done!

I have a 'I did it day'! Today was the first day I went kayaking since my replacement last summer! Instead of having to get out of the boat into butt high water, I was able to get out in water a little below my knees! This is a huge accomplishment for me. Not having kneecaps has left my quads weaker than a normal person's are. Since the arthritis pain is out of the right knee, I was able to use it more to help my left one pick me up! I just had to share my good news! Hopefully, one day I'll be able to get out like a normal person. If not, then I'll still celebrate and be thankful for what I did today!

Where you are right now is already amazing. The things you can do! Bets are you will improve and get stronger, for however far it can get you.

Thank you, ladies. I just feel like jumping for joy...oops, better not do that! But, I can sure smile and clap my hands!

Paula, I now take a chair and sit on that when I'm weeding. It is easier than bending over at the waist and I never could squat.

Paula, that is wonderful! Isn't it such a great feeling to be able to do something you did before - but then do it even better!! Congrats on the triumph.

@Celle, I still bend from the waste to do mine. Getting up from a chair frequently makes my old knee angry. I can usually bend for about 30 minutes at a time, then come in and rest and then go back out. I'll do this a few times each day until it's done. Then, of course, it's time to start over again! It never ends. @jaschembra, it sure is a wonderful feeling to do it better than before. Thanks for the congrats!

Congrats on being able to kayak!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I am so excited for you Paula! I keep thinking about trying to kayak but was afraid to entertain the thought. (Of course, I've only ever done it once, too!) But it is time to start thinking about trying things, like getting on a real bicycle and into a boat or kayak. I've gone scuba diving a couple of times since my knees were done ... but I think my neck needs to heal a bit more before I try that again!

You've given us all such inspiration! Thank you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks