Patellectomy No Kneecaps and a TKR<

I bought two of the 'elevator' lifts that they recommend on this site. Unfortunately, I bought them too long and had to cut off the ends so the bends will be in the correct place. But they are working well for me. One, for my bed and one for my recliner. If the knee is in the right position it's almost pain free! You know, I am doing well! Much better than I thought I'd be, except for my pt mishap. And that was my fault. I didn't realize I had done too much until it was too late. Now, I do know and will restrict myself. But, as far as what I'm doing around the house, it's much more than I thought I'd be doing! Having all these cats is keeping me busy and best of all, needed! Yesterday, according to my Fitbit, I did over 1000 steps! That's a lot! The only things I'm not able to do is to go down 4 steps to our porch to clean out the litter boxes out there. There are no rails, so I'd never attempt that right now! The other thing is I can't carry anything that has weight to it. I have a rolling walker that has a seat on it that I lay my meals, ice, drinks, etc on. But I wouldn't attempt to carry anything. Both hands have to be on the walker! My new knee is unstable and I sure don't want to fall.

I have the opposite experience with PT. They have not contacted me and I am happy about that. I am not feeling very good. I think my BP might be low. I am really fatigued. There are times I just can't get the knee in a comfortable position.

They only told you Medicare says they have to come that many times so they get paid the full amount. If you don't want them to come just say so. Medicare doesn't need you to have them come that many times so feel free to quit whenever you want. I know this because I used to do home care nursing.

Yes, that's it. I found it cheaper than Amazon's price at a place called Foot Locker. I believe they were $70 a piece. Well worth it since I don't have a way to carry them from the recliner to the bed and vice versa. I used pillows on the recliner until I could get that one shortened, too. Pillows just aren't as comfortable as the lift is. @Floridagal, you haven't been eating much, have you? Try to at least get some protein drinks in you. You need that protein really bad to start the healing process. Also, vitamin C helps to heal bones! There is a BP reader that you put on your wrist that you might want to look into buying. That way you would know if it's low or not. But, I'm feeling mighty weak myself. I think it's just from the major surgery we went through. How often do you take Miralax? @newlybionic thank you for enlightened truth! I might try them one more time and maybe not. They still haven't called today. If they were to come morning would have been a lot better than afternoon after I've been up all day! After all, I did almost 1,500 steps yesterday! No wonder I'm tired and hurting at the end of the day! But praise God I can do it!

I have a question. Have any you had calf and shin pain and lower back pain on your surgical side? The nurse explained to watch out for clots. I don't think it's that because the area is not any more swollen or hot than the rest of the leg. Each step and my calf lets me know it's there. They back is OK until I start walking. And my shin aches when I'm elevating. The nurse also told me not to massage my leg at all. Bummer, cause that helped! I will try the Tiger Balm when I get up again! But I have to rub gently!

Yes, that's the exact one. I am 5'6" and got the larger one. I ended up cutting off about 3" for my legs to line up, otherwise it hit my butt and wouldn't come up high enough. Now, they work great! @jmdearras, she said if I had tiny blood clots that would move them if I massaged my legs. That if the clots stayed in one place my body would have a better chance of dissolving them. Kinda sounds like baloney to me! So, you had the calf pain, too?

I always had problems with calf pain from tight muscles. I did some calf stretches almost all the time to loosen it up. I after my first surgery I used a belt to help pull my toes up to try to stretch them and eventually could do others standing with hands on wall with TKR leg behind and the other in front and trying to keep TKR straight and heel on the ground. You can ask PT for help with them.

@newlybionic, thank you. That eases my mind. Now, I'm seeing the bruising starting to show up. Do you think that massaging my leg is dangerous like my home nurse said? I did it the first day home and it helped. Everything is really starting to hurt this afternoon! I feel like I've been run over by a mac truck! I just might have to take my 10mg of Oxy at 5:30 to try and get some relief. It even hurts to elevate and ice. :groan::prayer:

Do you think that massaging my leg is dangerous like my home nurse said? I did it the first day home and it helped.
I think 'dangerous' is a little excessive! But be gentle with it.
I feel like I've been run over by a mac truck!
That's about right! I think we all recognise that feeling!
I just might have to take my 10mg of Oxy at 5:30 to try and get some relief.
What do you mean by that? Are you only taking 5mg then? You need to take more than that.
It even hurts to elevate and ice.
Are you trying to elevate with your leg completely straight? If so, that will hurt. Have a wee bit of a bend in it. Look at this article to see how to do it properly Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

As for the icing, are you protecting your skin with a thin cloth or towel? Very necessary. Ice to control pain and swelling

Wow @sistersinhim 1500 steps? I don't think I'm doing that many yet, but I really have no idea as I don't wear a device, and I don't carry my cell phone everywhere like my hubby does, so I am clueless. But, I noticed my bedroom today for the first time and realized how dusty and cluttered it had gotten. I took a loooooong time to do it, but I went through all the surgical related stuff (I could do that sitting down thank goodness) that seems to collect and disposed of or put away everything, cleaned up odds and ends and finally DUSTED! Oh my goodness, I can't believe the dust that collected in three short weeks!
Anyway, it's good to see how well you're doing after such a short time. I think I got a larger setback than I realized and so am behind in energy from where I'd like to be three weeks out. You seem to have a good amount and are recovering well. Just tell the PT thanks, but no thanks, if that's your choice. I'm finding I'm happy with no PT at all other than normal walking, etc. I've done almost nothing PT-wise, and my ROM right now is 3/108. I've been up a lot today, and my knee feels tighter than usual so it may even be better after I rest and ice this afternoon. Josephine's advice is absolutely spot-on in that regard. My PT wanted more days here, but I decided against it and am really glad I did, even though he was a really good guy.
Keep up what you're doing-you seem to be on a good track.

@Josephine, I am using the elevator lifts that you have a photo of on here. I'm just having a bad day and am venting! I have a Polar ice machine that is wonderful, I was just stating that right now everything is uncomfortable! These new aches and pains are showing up. I have only had to take 10mg of Oxy 3 times. Normally, the 5mg plus the Tylenol brings my pain down to a 2 or 3, something that is very tolerable. For some reason this afternoon had been a little worse. My emotions were all over the place, too, which I know is normal, and that added to the pain level. I'm already feeling better than I did earlier! I think sharing it helped me to feel better. @dianehelen, you're 4" taller than me, so the large should work fine for you. You'll like them. The pillows kept shifting with me, not so the lifter. Once it there, it stays there.

. @dianehelen, you're 4" taller than me, so the large should work fine for you. You'll like them. The pillows kept shifting with me, not so the lifter. Once it there, it stays there.

Ya, that was my thought about pillows. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Watching you and @Floridagal is like a virtual rollercoaster to me, I can no even imagine yet what it feels like to you both.

How active were you prior to surgery? Im pretty much a recliner potato since my hip nightmare, and when my knee(s)deteriorated. Other than my 3 days a week swimmimg my mile. I wonder how my overall inactivity will affect my journey.

Keep feeling better

@dianehelen You're probably in better shape then most since swimming involves almost every muscle in the body. Don't worry. You will need some down time but then you will be better than ever.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom