Bilateral TKR Who else is getting nervous?

christopher_car

Country
United States United States
Curious if anyone else in the January group is getting nervous? I'm having BTKR on the 4th of January and there have been days i wanted to cancel. Today I'm in pain so thinking surgery will be better..... but I have to be honest that I'm nervous.... not just of the surgery, but maybe the outcome won't be what I was hoping for.... anyone else feel this way?

@christopher_car
We all felt nervous and I wanted to cancel, too! But, I was too embarrassed to tell my friends I had chickened out! :heehee:

By the way, I moved your post out of the January Jackpots team thread, we prefer to keep that thread as a record of surgeries for that month only, and not have discussions there.

You can discuss this here in this thread, and I’m sure you’ll get replies!

Best wishes as you move forward! :flwrysmile:

I was a nervous wreck before each surgery. Coming here helped me calm down and remember why I was getting it done. My nerves did get worse as the time got closer-that's a very normal reaction.

I also wanted to cancel, but never did. I knew if I did, I'd have to reschedule and go through all the anxiety again, and I sure didn't want to do that again. Not to mention all the pre-op tests and appointments.........

None of us know the exact outcomes we'll get, but long term there is much improvement. Your knees as is won't improve, but after they're replaced they will get better with time. There'll be pain at first, but it's pain that will be managed, and it will dissipate as time goes on. A year from now, you'll feel much better, and the pain and limitations of two bad knees will be a distant memory. While there's no guarantee, most people feel much better around three months after their surgeries, and even more so at around a year.

I think that is very normal, and frankly to be expected. Just don't focus on it. I'd bet many of us would admit to having the very same reactions.

Knowing that you will have some pain after the surgery is healthy. But the pain will be controlled and you will get through it. The one thought you need to make your mantra: take your pain medications on a schedule around the clock. That's the best advise you can have at this point. Set an alarm to go off and take the medications, even if you don't think you need it. After your surgery you will totally understand.

We are here to help you through it. Take a deep breath and try to relax some so you don't go into surgery totally exhausted.

@christopher_car - Heck Yes, and I'm on my 2nd round, my surgery is in just 11 days, however as I had good outcome with my first replacement in 2019 I know the end results make it all the worthwhile, including the post surgery pain,discomfort, sleepless nights and all.
I'm looking forward to getting a good quality of life back, hiking, shopping etc with my family & friends without moaning and groaning along the way, I too thought about cancelling, but I so happy I didn't- and here I am yet again. Hope this has eased your nervousness x

@christopher_car
We all felt nervous and I wanted to cancel, too! But, I was too embarrassed to tell my friends I had chickened out! :heehee:

By the way, I moved your post out of the January Jackpots team thread, we prefer to keep that thread as a record of surgeries for that month only, and not have discussions there.

You can discuss this here in this thread, and I’m sure you’ll get replies!

Best wishes as you move forward! :flwrysmile:
Thank you.... I am having surgery in January so please put me back.

You are still on the January list, however, we don’t allow discussion in that thread which is why I moved your post here. You can talk with other members here in this thread.

Hi, I too am a January Jackpot. Having my LTKR on 1/3/22. I think about this all day long but doing that just gets me more anxious. I had RTKR 10/2018 and I am so glad that I did. I have known for quite some time I needed the left knee done but it never bothered me so I just kept moving on. Well, in August I had a cortisone injection and everything went down hill from there. One night in bed, my knee cap popped out of place. I was going to go to urgent care in the a.m. but an hour later it popped back in and then I could not walk or put weight on this knee for over two weeks. So now is my time for the left knee to be done. Well, one month to go and we will be on our road to recovering.

I wish all of us a quick, peaceful recovery. Schpooko

Hello to my January knee replacement pals. Nervous!!!! O gosh yes, it seems to sneak into my thinking, especially at night time and the early morning.
Christopher_Car - you and I are both up for Bilateral knee replacements. I saw that your surgery is the 4th and mine is 20 days later. We are both the same age. I live in Australia and I noted you live in the good old USA.
I will be very interested in your progress and with only a couple of weeks between us, we will be able to support each other through our recovery. To you all, I do my best to focus on each day rather than whats ahead. Ive joined an app called "Calm" to help me meditate and stay focused. I use this every day.
Ive always said that Im in training for my knee replacements. So Im at my fittest, healthiest I've ever been - (yoga daily, swimming twice per week, 100 kms cycling per week and as stated above Im looking after my mental health as well with meditation daily). Im oozing good health (hahaha) But I'm tired of putting my life on hold and want to embrace walking again without pain and playing with my grandchildren without watching they don't land on my knee. Its time and I want it to happen now!!!!!
Still Xmas and New Year to get over and then its full steam ahead.
Best Wishes to you all.

21 days and my Bilateral Total Knee Replacement happens. I think I'm ready after a complete panic attack last week. Although my surgeon feels I could go home after one day, I decided to go to a Rehab center to recover and start PT as soon as possible. I have seen a few parts on packing and a few mention electric shavers only.... is this because of blood thinners? My surgeon never mentioned electric only.

@christopher_car I moved your post out of the January Jackpots thread as that thread is only for surgery date information. Please keep your questions and conversations in this pre op thread.

I think the mention of electric razors is for shortly before surgery, as you might cut yourself using a regular one. Double check with your surgeon to be sure what you can do before and after surgery. I was told no shaving for 3 days before my surgery and there was no mention of that restriction after surgery.

Panic attacks are very normal as we approach our surgery date. I was so nervous that I wanted to cancel but I was too embarrassed to admit to my family and friends that I chickened out!

@christopher_car Keep posting here! It really does help to ease the nerves. We were all very nervous pre-op. But truthfully, this waiting is the worst part of the process.

One tip, when you get to the hospital tell everyone you meet that you are very anxious. Staff deal with this every day and they will do everything they can to get you to a comfortable place.

Thank you. I have everything ready as much as I can be ready. My surgeon feels I can go home after one night in hospital, however Medicare says I must stay 3 nights in hospital before going to a rehab facility. I decided not to burden my partner and will go to rehab so I can recover with professionals giving me medication and walking which I was told I will do day one.

Anyone else scheduled for January 4th? That is my day. Looking forward to recovering with ask you in January!

@christopher_car

I moved your post above out of the January Jackpots thread as that thread is only for surgery dates, and welcoming members to that month of surgery. We prefer no other discussion there. Please post here in this thread in the future, to discuss your pre op journey.

Here is information about fining your own thread:

I am scheduled for me total left knee replacement on January 7, 2022. Just a few days behind you @christopher_car

My right total knee replacement was this past February 3rd, so I have a good idea what to expect. I too was originally nervous. The thing I was most nervous about was what if the outcome did not come out the way I expected? What If I was unable to take my boat out (alone) and fish? That would be a very serious problem in my world! I was unsure if I would be able to do the things that I love and live to do.

Asides from a few issues early after my right knee surgery I am overall very happy with it. I followed the Bonesmart principles in my recovery. My surgeon firmly believes in range of motion and NO strengthening exercises. Rest, Ice, elevation, take pain meds, leg straightening, and ROM. No rubbing no stretching exercises either. Strength will come over time, no need to increase swelling trying to push it.

I live on Long Island. In three months I had my boat in the water and was fishing locally. In five months I was hiking with lots of steps and elevation changes on uneven ground at the Delaware Water Gap and Letchworth State Park.

After six months I was fishing on a friend's 32' boat sixty five miles offshore! We fished for a week out of Montauk and there were some 'sporty' days for sure!

The new knee preformed very well. The next month I was installing a trolling motor on my 22' boat. (basically hundreds of times up and down a stepladder, in and out of the boat, and contorting your body into tight places at weird angles)

My new right knee did very well through all that, but my left knee has suffered through it all.

I wouldn't call what I feeling about my upcoming surgery as 'nervous', more like anxious to get it over with I guess. The major issues I had with my first knee replacement won't happen again. One was severe stomach reaction (pain) to high dose aspirin and anti-inflammatory. That lasted a few days. The other issue was a physical therapist who did what they were instructed not to. Ended up hyper extending the knee.

The doctor will prescribe different medications and I will use a different at home PT organization this time.

My pre-surgical testing appointments were last week. To be honest my left knee has been feeling fair lately so of course I am second guessing myself and wondering; can I put this off for a year?

I arrived for my testing appointment early so I decided to take a walk. I was thinking of going about a mile, slight to moderate uphill most the way there. City sidewalk surfaces. By the time I was not even halfway there the real pain returned and reminded me that waiting another year is not the best of ideas!

I limped my way downhill into the hospital for my testing being fully aware that this left knee needs to be fixed. No more second guessing.

Be sure to know christopher_car that I am not the slightest bit nervous that the outcome won't be what I expected. I am confidant that I will be able to do the things that I love and need to do after the second knee replacement.

It takes some pain and time getting used to, but the new knee now feels great. I am almost looking forward to January 7th!

Well, maybe not looking forward to it but looking forward to next summer. By that time both my knees should be good for the first time in 45 years. I've had pain/problems with my knees since I was about 13 years old.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts