Lounge Doctor

Bilateral TKR Who else is getting nervous?

christopher_car

Country
United States United States
Curious if anyone else in the January group is getting nervous? I'm having BTKR on the 4th of January and there have been days i wanted to cancel. Today I'm in pain so thinking surgery will be better..... but I have to be honest that I'm nervous.... not just of the surgery, but maybe the outcome won't be what I was hoping for.... anyone else feel this way?

Jockette

Country
@christopher_car
We all felt nervous and I wanted to cancel, too! But, I was too embarrassed to tell my friends I had chickened out! :heehee:

By the way, I moved your post out of the January Jackpots team thread, we prefer to keep that thread as a record of surgeries for that month only, and not have discussions there.

You can discuss this here in this thread, and I’m sure you’ll get replies!

Best wishes as you move forward! :flwrysmile:

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I was a nervous wreck before each surgery. Coming here helped me calm down and remember why I was getting it done. My nerves did get worse as the time got closer-that's a very normal reaction.

I also wanted to cancel, but never did. I knew if I did, I'd have to reschedule and go through all the anxiety again, and I sure didn't want to do that again. Not to mention all the pre-op tests and appointments.........

None of us know the exact outcomes we'll get, but long term there is much improvement. Your knees as is won't improve, but after they're replaced they will get better with time. There'll be pain at first, but it's pain that will be managed, and it will dissipate as time goes on. A year from now, you'll feel much better, and the pain and limitations of two bad knees will be a distant memory. While there's no guarantee, most people feel much better around three months after their surgeries, and even more so at around a year.

eaglemom

Country
I think that is very normal, and frankly to be expected. Just don't focus on it. I'd bet many of us would admit to having the very same reactions.

Knowing that you will have some pain after the surgery is healthy. But the pain will be controlled and you will get through it. The one thought you need to make your mantra: take your pain medications on a schedule around the clock. That's the best advise you can have at this point. Set an alarm to go off and take the medications, even if you don't think you need it. After your surgery you will totally understand.

We are here to help you through it. Take a deep breath and try to relax some so you don't go into surgery totally exhausted.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@christopher_car - Heck Yes, and I'm on my 2nd round, my surgery is in just 11 days, however as I had good outcome with my first replacement in 2019 I know the end results make it all the worthwhile, including the post surgery pain,discomfort, sleepless nights and all.
I'm looking forward to getting a good quality of life back, hiking, shopping etc with my family & friends without moaning and groaning along the way, I too thought about cancelling, but I so happy I didn't- and here I am yet again. Hope this has eased your nervousness x

OP
OP
C

christopher_car

Country
@christopher_car
We all felt nervous and I wanted to cancel, too! But, I was too embarrassed to tell my friends I had chickened out! :heehee:

By the way, I moved your post out of the January Jackpots team thread, we prefer to keep that thread as a record of surgeries for that month only, and not have discussions there.

You can discuss this here in this thread, and I’m sure you’ll get replies!

Best wishes as you move forward! :flwrysmile:
Thank you.... I am having surgery in January so please put me back.

Jockette

Country
You are still on the January list, however, we don’t allow discussion in that thread which is why I moved your post here. You can talk with other members here in this thread.

schpooko

Country
Hi, I too am a January Jackpot. Having my LTKR on 1/3/22. I think about this all day long but doing that just gets me more anxious. I had RTKR 10/2018 and I am so glad that I did. I have known for quite some time I needed the left knee done but it never bothered me so I just kept moving on. Well, in August I had a cortisone injection and everything went down hill from there. One night in bed, my knee cap popped out of place. I was going to go to urgent care in the a.m. but an hour later it popped back in and then I could not walk or put weight on this knee for over two weeks. So now is my time for the left knee to be done. Well, one month to go and we will be on our road to recovering.

I wish all of us a quick, peaceful recovery. Schpooko

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
irving95
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom