THR WhitePaw's pre-op questions

WhitePaw

Country
United States United States
I am getting ready for my first THR on May 5. I just hope my surgeon doesn't overdo it with the Margaritas. I have more questions than answers now and am disappointed that the hospital is not doing hip replacement classes due to Covid. Not even online.:sad: At this point, I am trying to figure out what home aid equipment will be provided to me and what I need to purchase myself. How are you folks figuring this out? If I wait will my pro-opp appointments, I am concerned anything I order won't be here on time.

I purchased my own Walker, walker tray, walker pouch, toilet riser, grabbers(2), long shoe stick, dressing stick, canes(2), gel packs (3), a recliner, risers for the furniture and a 3 inch platform for the recliner. There isn't that much you really need. Most of these things I purchased on Amazon. I also got an 8 inch Amazon tablet for entertainment purposes for the hospital and for virtual physical therapy afterwards. Also packed an extension cord for the hospital for my phone and tablet.

Just make a list of things you think you will need and take it from there.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. I had my hip replaced almost four years ago and didn’t really have a joint class either. I compiled some questions and met one on one with a nurse who went through the process with me and answered any questions I had. I’d advise you make a list and do the same with a member of your surgeons care team over the phone. Record the call or jot down answers as you receive them.

Here is a list of Recovery AIDS from the BoneSmart Library -

I’ll also leave a copy of the Recovery Guidelines for you to read through so you feel better informed about early recovery. Please don‘t hesitate to ask any questions here and we’ll do our best to advise.

I wish you comfort as you await your surgery date.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@WhitePaw

I got a list from my OS and found most everything locally. The ice machine was my prize for being a good boy at the hospital. My local repurpose store had just about everything I was looking for. There are so many walkers and all of the rest growing dust in people's basements they are thrilled to let you have them, the same with canes and grabbers. I found the bedside commode frame on Craigslist locally.

I am trying to figure out what home aid equipment will be provided to me and what I need to purchase myself.
Have you tried phoning your surgeon's rooms? You might also consider asking your insurance company.

@WhitePaw Also check in your area for a Senior Service Center - I was able to borrow (for the low cost of a donation to their program) almost all of the things I needed for hip replacement recuperation. I got a bath bench, walker, bed side comode ( I took the bucket out and used the frame to fit around the toilet to make a very comfortable seat). Once I healed up it was a simple matter to return the things :)

I went through the class twice @WhitePaw, and nothing there came close to matching the information Layla left for you. If you read all those articles you will be WAY more prepared than anything the joint classes offer.

Thank you Mojo333. That is good to know. I am getting more and more educated everyday, reading, meditating, saying my mantras, shopping for supplies that I think I will need, testing things out. I hope to be as prepared as possible and am saying mantras that allow me to be ok with the unexpected and unpredictable. It is so helpful to read about everyone's experiences here.

Thanks Mersada. This is very helpful. I would not have thought about extension cords!

Thanks for the tips, Eman85. Do I really need a bedside commode? I was hoping to be able to make it to the bathroom, about 15 feet away. What do you think?

No, you don't need a bedside commode. You should be able to walk from your bed to the bathroom before you're discharged from hospital.

Thanks Mersada. This is very helpful. I would not have thought about extension cords!
Cord was very helpful. I don't have a beside comode. I am able to make to the toilet fine. Besides, they want you to walk a little each hour.

The bedside commode I used as a frame over the home commode, I didn't use it bedside. I tried the elevated ring that had handles and it was horrible. The bedside commode has a removeable container and once it's removed the whole frame can be placed over the commode so it's an adjustable elevated toilet seat that has handles and is stable. At the hospital it's what they have over the commodes for that purpose. I guess I should have been clearer about not needing it for bedside use.

Last edited:
I didn't get pre-op class either and was also disappointed. They did give me a call about 2 weeks before and I was able to learn that I wouldn't get sent home with a polar ice type machine (only knee patients get these). So I bought one on Amazon since people here seemed to like them a lot. I remembered not being able to sleep at the end of my pregnancies and splurged and bought an adjustable bed--about the same price as renting and less fear of germs. Otherwise walker, grabber, toilet seat, borrowed crutches, had a cane, don't intend to wear socks until winter :). I did get a good surprise when they called today with my pre-op time and details, my husband will be able to hang out in the surgery center with me.

I have never had surgery before. I am going to have a phone call with a nurse at the hospital and I am hoping that she will have suggestions about what I should bring. I am spending the night, but I don't know if I should even bring my own tooth brush. I assume so. I definitely want to bring my own pillow. Anyone out there have a packing list for the hospital for an overnight stay for hip replacement? I always tend to pack too much, but I may be too out of it to even care what I bring. My own jammies?

I.was told no jammies, no slippers, no socks.as.they will.give.you these things. I was told I can bring a toothbrush but they also have them. They said to bring deodorant because they don't have that. I brought loose fitting shoes with optional inserts in case of swelling. I brought my amazon tablet.which ended up.not picking up on the WiFi anyway so I could not really use it. I brought my charger and extension cord which the nurse plugged in for me. I used.my phone and their tv alot for entertainment. You really don't need much. The clean clothes you come in with is what you will wear home. You can pack an extra pair of underwear.

@WhitePaw Go online to the hospital's website. Most areas have a patient information section with all this information. If not, I am sure you will get advice at your pre-op assessment.

Do not pack a lot. There won't be space for excess storage and you won't need most things anyway.

I doubt the hospital will let you bring your own pillow. Since you are only staying one night I would use what they provide.

My surgeon requests patients bring their clothes to wear from the initial recovery room to the private room you spend the night in. Huh?!! Wasn’t sure how I was going to handle that, but it worked out well with the help of the nurse and the softest, most loose t-shirt and elasticized waist yoga style pants I could find. Minus uncomfortable bra. I slept in this and wore it home.

Only other things I brought: cell phone / charger, a change of underwear,
toothbrush / toothpaste, deodorant and Lip Balm. Slept in the recliner in my hospital room so I didn’t need a pillow. You don’t need much and the time flies anyway.

Not long to wait now, less than two weeks. Wishing you comfort as you wait for your date.
@WhitePaw

I brought a pair of slip on shorts to wear with the hospital gown, they worked great and they are slippery which made it easier to move in bed. Brought slip on Skechers ,socks, slip on cotton pants and a T shirt for the ride home. I had mine done in cold weather or I would just have worn shorts home.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks