THR WhitePaw's pre-op questions

We certainly had a bit of a laugh in the pre op room before my last knee replacement. The nurse was hilarious and the anaesthetist went along with it. They were a good team and I drifted off smiling and woke up on the other side refreshed. A good start for my new knee. Strangely enough that recovery went well.

I am afraid that the surgical team will be too busy focusing on you and the procedure. No time for any affirmations. These teams work very quickly and efficiently - after all you are one patient in a whole case load for the day. Plus, THR can be physically challenging for the surgeon and team.

I am afraid that the surgical team will be too busy focusing on you and the procedure. No time for any affirmations. These teams work very quickly and efficiently - after all you are one patient in a whole case load for the day. Plus, THR can be physically challenging for the surgeon and team.
Good to know. Thank you.

I could really use some guidance about getting back to work. I am a therapist and do online therapy. My desk is five feel from my bed. I have a privacy screen.

I am trying to coordinate with my clients how much time I will be taking off. My surgery is on Wednesday, May 5. I have a client scheduled for the next Tuesday, May 11. That is only six days after surgery. Do you think that I will be able to sit in a chair with a doughnut cushion for an hour six days after surgery? This is assuming my pain medications do not make me mentally too out of it.

If this is not reasonable, how long might it take before I can sit at a desk for an hour or so? Just trying to plan ahead.

Only 6 days after surgery is much too soon to be seeing a client (even if it's on-line) and sitting at a desk for an hour.

Hip replacement is major surgery and you need some time to rest and recover.
We usually recommend taking 8-12 weeks off and then doing a Phased return to work

At 6 days post-op, you 'll probably still be taking narcotics for pain relief and you'll also have postop brain fog, which prevents you from thinking clearly. You probably won't be able to give of your best to your client.

Have a look at this article, to see what you should expect to be doing at various stages of your recovery:
Activity progression for THRs

Do yourself and your client a favour and re-schedule that appointment for a month later.

Only 6 days after surgery is much too soon to be seeing a client (even if it's on-line) and sitting at a desk for an hour.

Hip replacement is major surgery and you need some time to rest and recover.
We usually recommend taking 8-12 weeks off and then doing a Phased return to work

At 6 days post-op, you 'll probably still be taking narcotics for pain relief and you'll also have postop brain fog, which prevents you from thinking clearly. You probably won't be able to give of your best to your client.

Have a look at this article, to see what you should expect to be doing at various stages of your recovery:
Activity progression for THRs

Do yourself and your client a favour and re-schedule that appointment for a month later.
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely reschedule this client and re-evaluate my return to work plan.

Sitting for long periods can be difficult just post op - even with a pillow. I would allow 4 weeks and see how you feel - then make the appointment with the client.

@WhitePaw You will notice I merged all your threads with pre-op questions to this thread. It's a good idea to keep all this information in one place so that you can easily access the answers when you need them. Just keep posting your questions on this thread so you have one resource.

No, you don't need a bedside commode. You should be able to walk from your bed to the bathroom before you're discharged from hospital.
Thank you. I hope this is the case.

Sitting for long periods can be difficult just post op - even with a pillow. I would allow 4 weeks and see how you feel - then make the appointment with the client.

@WhitePaw You will notice I merged all your threads with pre-op questions to this thread. It's a good idea to keep all this information in one place so that you can easily access the answers when you need them. Just keep posting your questions on this thread so you have one resource.
Got it. Thanks, Jaycey. So just post at the end with a new question?

That's right. We won't miss it because, between us, the staff red all new posts every day.

I have another issue for which I could use some brainstorming help. I have started reading on the recovery page about how important walking is. Walking is super hard for me when I do much more than walk around the house. My hip that I am not getting the surgery on first is actually hurting more now. I think I might be overcompensating. I need both hips done, but I am only doing one at a time. So, I will have one good hip and one not so good hip to walk on after my surgery on May 5.

Are there any suggestions about other things that I can do besides walking for recovery since I will still have one hip that will yell at me if I even try to walk down the street?

I have started reading on the recovery page about how important walking is. Walking is super hard for me when I do much more than walk around the house.
Don't get all hung up on walking. Just walking around the house is all you need to do for the first month or so. Even after that, you just increase the amount of walking gradually, as your hips allow.

In our recovery guidelines, we give everyone this "big tip":
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Another helpful thing to remember is this:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

I have started reading on the recovery page about how important walking is. Walking is super hard for me when I do much more than walk around the house.
Don't get all hung up on walking. Just walking around the house is all you need to do for the first month or so. Even after that, you just increase the amount of walking gradually, as your hips allow.

In our recovery guidelines, we give everyone this "big tip":
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Another helpful thing to remember is this:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
This is really helpful. Thank you very much.

I guess the good news for your other hip is that for the first couple of weeks you won't be doing much walking and when you do it will be assisted with a walker and or a cane or crutch. In the first weeks of recovery my back felt so good from just resting as much I did. Once my recovery progressed and I started walking further my other hip was the first thing to start hurting.

I guess the good news for your other hip is that for the first couple of weeks you won't be doing much walking and when you do it will be assisted with a walker and or a cane or crutch. In the first weeks of recovery my back felt so good from just resting as much I did. Once my recovery progressed and I started walking further my other hip was the first thing to start hurting.
I guess that will be the motivation to heal as well as possible to prepare to get the other hip done later in the year.

So, I have been prescribed Hydrocodone-Acetamin 5-325 MG, 1 tablet every 6 hours for pain after surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this medication or advice about it? Did it work well for you to manage your post-surgery pain?

@WhitePaw, We prefer members not to ask other members for advice about medications. Experience with medications is very individual and there's no guarantee that how one person reacts will be the same way that you would react.

This combination medication is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. It contains an opioid pain reliever (Hydrocodone) and a non-opioid pain reliever (Acetaminophen/Tylenol). Hydrocodone works in the brain to change how your body feels and responds to pain. Acetaminophen can also reduce a fever.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-251/hydrocodone-acetaminophen-oral/details

@WhitePaw, We prefer members not to ask other members for advice about medications. Experience with medications is very individual and there's no guarantee that how one person reacts will be the same way that you would react.

This combination medication is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. It contains an opioid pain reliever (Hydrocodone) and a non-opioid pain reliever (Acetaminophen/Tylenol). Hydrocodone works in the brain to change how your body feels and responds to pain. Acetaminophen can also reduce a fever.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-251/hydrocodone-acetaminophen-oral/details
Got it. Thanks for the reminder and the information.

Well, tomorrow is the big day. 7am surgery time. I am feeling pretty good and prepared. Today was spend cleaning, doing laundry and preparing my recovery space. I am trying to look at this like an adventure with lots of trust and optimism.

Thank you to all of you who have helped me in this thread. I am grateful and I will see you on the recovery side.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562