THR Which surgeon should I choose?

MoveOn1

Country
United States United States
Hello,

I have finally decided to have a THR. As a child I had SCFE which has resulted in arthritis as an adult. I’m found a surgeon that I am very comfortable with and believe that he will do a great job. But everyone keeps saying I should see the best surgeon in the state. That would require me to switch my insurance. Also, people tell me he is pretty arrogant. what if I switch my insurance and then decide that he is not a good fit for me? I could still see the original surgeon but it would cost me more out of pocket! Did anyone have a difficult time narrowing there search for a surgeon and then finally settling?

@MoveOn1
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

We all have a hard time with selecting the right surgeon. The "best" may not be the right one for you.
You might be better off paying out of pocket for a second opinion from the surgeon your friends have recommended. Then you can decide if it is worth going through changing your insurance.

You want to look for a surgeon that specializes in joint replacement and does 100 to 200 hip replacements a year.

You will find an article about choosing a surgeon in the reading I am leaving for you.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

found a surgeon that I am very comfortable with and believe that he will do a great job
Then go with this surgeon and don't listen to other opinions. This is a partnership. If you feel you can work with this surgeon and are confident in their skill set, go with your gut feeling.

My surgeon wasn't touted as the best in the state, but his numbers were there and as Jaycey says, confidence in your OS and a good rapport is tantamount for a good recovery, in my opinion.

Who is this "everybody"? People who've used Dr Arrogant? I chose my OS based on three independent, volunteered comments about him. A PA said "my mom is doing really well and liked him". An MD said, "I don't know him personally but he has a good reputation", and another medical person-- can't remember who now-- said yes, he was a stellar surgeon. That was enough for me. If you've been to see your guy and are comfortable with him, save you efforts!

How much would it cost to talk to the "best in state", out-of-network? If you wanted to lay eyes on him, that would be the safest way to do it.
But an awful lot hinges on how much you like your current insurance, and the absolute PAIN it would be going on the marketplace this of all Novembers, looking for something new. Moreover, perhaps you have already met your deductible for this year.

Don't get me wrong, an OS with a good reputation is important especially as far as their concern for you. You can read a lot of threads on here where the person is very upset with the OS and their staff especially over bad communication and lack of empathy. Another consideration is distance to travel, not just for the surgery but for follow up visits. If you have an OS you feel is competent and you are comfortable with that is a big plus. If their office has a good program with good communication that just makes it even better.

There is a lot to be said about feeling comfortable with your choice and having confidence in your surgeon. You are the one having the surgery, not “everyone else.” If in fact you didn’t care for this “best” surgeon, then you’d not only have lost your insurance for your first choice but you would have created mounds of stress and you don’t need that. Surgery alone is stressful enough without any added worries. I think you made a wise choice, sticking with surgeon you are comfortable with.

Thank you for this! I am going to speak with my primary to get thoughts as well. I trust his opinion

That’s actually how I found my surgeon - recommended by my primary care dr. I had gone to one OS and liked him but I later had a question I forgot to ask so I contacted his office via patient portal with no response so I called and no response so I sent a nasty note on patient portal sharing I didn’t have much confidence in this office if I couldn’t even get a response to my question. The next day the OS called me himself full of apologies but I really didn’t feel good about the office any more so that’s when I asked my GP. I am so grateful I did because my surgeon was amazing. He does hundreds of surgeries each year and when I had my surgery, several nurses told me they had used him for their surgeries which I think is a very high recommendation. I wish you all the best.

Comfort is huge in choosing a surgeon. Of course we want competence, but frankly, many of us only agree to have the surgery when we find someone we really trust.

Subjective as it is, trust is a big deal. When I was having my ups and downs in recovery, it was trust that I had--I knew my surgeon was super responsible and cautious--that got me through. Now, I love my surgery. Best surgeon in state is really really hard to identify anyway. Sometimes some surgeons get great reputations among the public--doesn't mean other surgeons closer to the action really like them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back