BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Whether to ice ?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Vansan, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM.

1. Vansan

Vansan new member

United States United States
    I was told by 2 Physical Therapist that the fastest recovery they saw for TKR was from surgeons who had their patients not use ice. And use Compression stockings.

Has anyone experienced this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    There's really no such thing as a fast recovery from a TKR. It's going to take about a year, whatever you do.

Most of us have found that icing the knee is a great pain-reliever, as well as helping to reduce the swelling.

It's up to you, of course, but unless they've had a knee replacement themselves, I wouldn't set too much store by what the PTs report.

3. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

United States United States
    I have been icing since surgery and though I probably don't enough it does help. My PT suggested heat at one of my sessions and not only did it not help it seemed to make me more uncomfortable. I know there are many opinions so I guess best I can say is follow your doctor's instructions. My OS told me I could try both and do what works for me but he leans more toward the ice.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree with Celle. But from my two TKRs, I can assure you I would never have NOT used ice! And I also never used compression stockings either! I'd also point out that those two PT's were speaking from a very small sample of cases. Normally such research opinions are formed from a cohort of up to 4,000.

5. robert johnson

robert johnson member

A while back I asked the question: Is there such a thing as too much icing. Most of the Bonesmarties answered "no" and detailed their experiences. Who could argue with that?

But the reason why I asked was because at my Pre-hab last month the PT told me "Inflammation could become thicker with too much icing and ROM would actually be harder to get back after surgery." He didn't say not to ice, but I think he's more in the camp of icing 10 to 20 min, 3 to 4 times a day, and that's it (which is the AAOS guidelines also).

The problem for me is the fact that I have very little memory of icing on either of my surgeries. I hadn't found this website yet, and even though the OS told me to ice while we were still in the Hospital, it didn't sink in much because at the time I had a big bandage on my leg. And while I was recovering I concentrated more on keeping the pain at bay with pain medicine. Especially when I first woke up and after exercising. I did all the exercises the hospital sends you home with and elevated quite a bit the first week or so but not so much ice.

I think i might actually have only iced once a day while at PT, they would wrap it in an ice bag after the treatment.

I don't know where they're (the PTs) getting this from, but I'm inclined to take the middle road of icing no more than 3 or 4 times of day for 10 to 20 minutes, and never at night while I'm sleeping for at least as long as I have drugs for the pain.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You accomplish nothing in 10-20 minutes. Try 45-60 minutes throughout the day.

7. robert johnson

robert johnson member

That strikes me as extreme, Lacey. Almost precisely what the PT said not to do. I'm inclined to duplicate what I did last time, since it worked, at least as far as swelling and healing is concerned.

The big difference this time, is that I'm not going to do all the PT that I did last time while under the influence of pain medicine, but instead going to take it easy in the beginning with ADLs, the basic exercises, and the bike (when possible). I'm going to follow the Bonesmart method in the sense that I'm going to let it heal first and leave serious PT for sometime down the road, or never if the bike is enough.

Since @Vansan also heard the same thing about icing, it makes me wonder where they're getting it from.