PKR Where to sleep?

nc3

Country
United States United States
I am 5 days out from PKR. If I sleep on the couch my knee doesnt hurt as bad because I move around less. If I sleep on the bed, I sleep better but knee is more swollen and painful. How do I chose?

I was only discharged yesterday so only had one evening in my bed. Was not too bad but did take all my meds before heading off to snooze land. The physio gave me some exercises to do while in bed before standing and then some some for when you first get out of bed which are suppose to help with getting things moving? have you been given anything?

@nc3
I think I would sleep in the place where I get the best sleep. Sleep is often hard to get at this stage so I would take anything I could.
Having said that I often changed between the bed and the recliner during the night and back again.

Personally I'd choose sleep, but the choice is entirely yours. Just remember, the knee will continue to get better, and 5 days is no time at all in recovery!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

That's a hard choice, sleep over less pain :chinstroke:

Seriously though, I would prefer sleep.

I didn't see my bed until six weeks after my surgery. I slept on the recliner with limited positions that are safe to sleep in after surgery, you may actually find a recliner chair more comfortable and more promoting of your recovery.

Have you thought about purchasing a leg wedge that will actually hold your leg in place in bed? You can keep your leg raised above your heart at the same time keep your leg mobile.

a leg pillow.jpg

@nc3
A thought just occurred to me.... Why do you move about less on the sofa? Is it because the space is restricted? If that's the case I would restrict the space in the bed with pillows or something. I bought a cheap body pillow and when I wasn't straddled across it the pillow would sit down the middle of the bed like the Berlin Wall.

Had bilateral knee replacement March 21st so haven’t had a “good” side to sleep on. I think wherever you can sleep and get rest is what to do for as long as you need it. Supposedly a recliner is one of the best places but for me was /is the worse because my radiculopathy and neuropathy in my ankles and feet get worse there. I have been sleeping mostly on my back in my bed for over 10 weeks now, although this past week, I did have to go back on pain meds just at night because I got better so fast, I was driving, doing everything in the house, on my feet 4 to five hours a day plus PT, and my night time pain got worse and worse. I had been off tramadol since 3 & ½ weeks after surgery. So whatever works, do it and do it for as long as you need to! Also, I could never do the “raise your legs above heart” thing . Key is to get comfortable and stay in positions that keep you comfortable so you get sleep to heal. My bilateral knee was a true challenge, so much harder than my hip replacement ten years ago. Best to you!!

@nc3
A thought just occurred to me.... Why do you move about less on the sofa? Is it because the space is restricted? If that's the case I would restrict the space in the bed with pillows or something. I bought a cheap body pillow and when I wasn't straddled across it the pillow would sit down the middle of the bed like the Berlin Wall.
LOL.. I did same thing. Restrict area of bed space I was using! I would put a pillow wedged under my shoulder, since I had to sleep on my back and it felt a little like I was sleeping on my side.

Welcome to the other side, @nc3 !

I used my ice machine all night every night, which helped keep the pain and swelling at bay. I also used it a lot during the day, along with elevating my knee on my Lounge Doctor. I started out using the LD at night, but found I was more comfortable, and slept better, lying on my side, so I moved the LD aside at night. I never tried sleeping on my sofa as I don't like being confined to a narrow space, plus being a sofa and different material than my bed, it would have been too hot as I slept. You can't sleep if you're in pain, so I'd try different configurations and see what works best for your knee. Maybe you could try elevating your leg at night and icing along with the elevating, then try sleeping in your bed that way to see if that, along with taking any pain meds you've been prescribed, helps keep the pain under control so you can sleep.

Sometimes what works one night may not work the next, as this recovery really is a roller coaster, so try to be patient and know that it will get better as you get farther and farther down the road. Some days will be better than other days; that's just part of recovery from knee surgery. Many people do have problems sleeping at night at first, so it's a good idea to also to take naps during the day as you are able. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

My elevating wedge has a trough in it like the one pictured, but my mine continues to angle upward, giving me just a slight bend, making it much more comfortable than keeping it totally straight. The trough does keep my leg still all night.

You don’t want too much bend, and you don’t want the lower leg straight out from the bend, the foot should continue to go higher than the bend.

Have you thought about purchasing a leg wedge that will actually hold your leg in place in bed? You can keep your leg raised above your heart at the same time keep your leg mobile.

a-leg-pillow-jpg.73442
We don't recommend that particular wedge, because it keeps your knee too bent.
Here's an article about the right way to elevate:
Elevation: the do's and dont's

I am 5 days out from PKR. If I sleep on the couch my knee doesnt hurt as bad because I move around less. If I sleep on the bed, I sleep better but knee is more swollen and painful. How do I chose?
Do you elevate your leg when you're sleeping in bed? If you can, it should help with the swelling.

I say sleep where you're most comfortable.
Lots of people find they have broken sleep and they move from one place to another.

I slept both in the recliner and the bed just about every night for about a month. Wherever I was I was icing the whole time. Sleep where you can and as much as you can. Your body heals better when you are asleep.

Thanks for the ideas and well wishes. I guess I am just impatient and dont do well on little sleep.

dont do well on little sleep
I dislike myself very much when I don't get enough sleep. Nobody should be around me until I get a good night's sleep!

I just about spewed hot tea when I read sistersinhim's comment. What a true statement for most of us - we don't like ourselves if we get too little sleep.

I use my LD during the day and love it, however, I can't relax at night to sleep with it. You have to figure out the combination that works best for you. I'd personally prefer sleep - for the obvious cranky reason. Keep experimenting and you'll find what works for you.

And as much as so many people love the Lounge Doctor, my knee didn't like it, it’s angle is different from my elevating wedge, and my knee has always (still) been very sensitive to different angles.

We have to do what works for each of us and sometimes it takes time to figure that out.

I am 5 weeks out. PT has turned me loose for 2 weeks, told me to walk 15-20 minutes a day on hills. I have done that the last 2 days, but my knee is hurting. Still having trouble sleeping even after taking Tramadol. I just wonder if I am where I need to be, recovery wise and pain wise. Also wondering if I am doing too much or not enough around the house. And wondering why did I chose to have this surgery. Pity party time at my house, refreshments served!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020