Bilateral TKR Where to begin, did too much?

I’ve had a CPAP for 5 years, and have never registered or looked at anything how do you do that?

Interesting, Benay, that you combine Tylenol PM (with the antihistamine benadryl in it) with Tramadol. I read (somewhere?) that Tramadol releases/increases(?) histamines , but do not know. Also read that Tramadol might suppress serotonin. What do you think, Josephine?
I think that this is something I never heard of before. But I did find this on Google

While I was taking Tramadol the combination worked at night. Probably better than Naproxen 500 and a PM.

If surgery is a must to remove the tooth and do an implant, my orthopedic surgeon will have to work with oral surgeon to create a plan to prevent infection. I caught C-Diff in 2006 in the hospital and was in for a month and almost didn’t make it, so antibiotics long term not good for me.

Antibiotics are often not necessary for dental work, because the bacteria in your mouth are not the ones usually responsible for joint infections:
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

However, if your surgeon requires you to have antibiotics, it's not likely that you will have to take them long-term.
I understand your caution, though - a bout of C-diff is something nobody would want to repeat.

By the way, ladies - @Benay , @marieltha , @winemama , - please can we remember that this is Tmgrl3's recovery thread? The main topic of the thread should be her recovery, and some of the posts have become rather off-topic. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Thanks, Celle, about getting away from Tmgrl3’s thread...

Winemama, I’m going to open my knee recovery thread and answer your question about the CPAP there.

My knee thread title: Partial KR:
Great PKR Complicated by Ligament Sprain in “GoodLeg”

(I have a Shoulder Recovery Thread as well and an Other Thread (pre-op big toe/bunion)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good information though about CPAP ...

I just saw my OS 4 months post op on Wednesday...he is thrilled with my progress. He said if I have dental work, cleaning, but mostly for oral surgery or tooth implant he wants me pre-medicated. He has seen too many knee infections come in and only factor prior was dental work without prophylaxis. He is aware of ADA’s new guidelines about not needing pre-med for cleanings, but his experience says do it.

Also, next day I got results from urine culture. No bad symptoms but I had to go to urologist with my hubby and since I had cloudy urine we did a culture and I do have a UTI. It’s four months post op and they did test me in hospital and rehab for UTI at my request since I had an epidural with cath because of tendancy to urinary retention. So hoping we got this early enough and I can treat it and not have a problem with it traveling to my knees. My overall health is better. I had one UTI in 30 years and that was about a year ago and only symptom was cloudy urine. Same this time, but better to treat and not take chances. Anyone else have UTI post op, not necessarily right after ...but months or years? My urologist only treats if bacteria is at certain levels but maybe he is being conservative because of my replacements. I only made the appointment because my hubby had to go for a pre-op consult so I figured let’s just be sure.

1've had three knee replacements, the first one in 2000, and I suffer from UTIs from time to time. I have the UTIs treated when they occur and I haven't had any problems with infection affecting my knees.

1've had three knee replacements, the first one in 2000, and I suffer from UTIs from time to time. I have the UTIs treated when they occur and I haven't had any problems with infection affecting my knees.
Thanks!! My surgeon said same today..just treat UTIs and urologist said the antibiotics target the bladder so C-Diff flare up no issue with them.

So tomorrow I am 17 weeks out of my bilateral knee replacement and overall everything has been improving. Sleep. Eating. Appetite. Walking better. But I think I have major cabin fever. I have eaten out a couple of times but most of what I do is errands and chores and work around the house. Which is gotten me into a bit of a dark place today. I didn’t sleep well last night and was up a good part of the night so that probably didn’t help. Also my hubby and I are starting back to some activities. We are part of an acting improv class that starts Sunday again and will be starting some art classes again in August. We have just been so confined this year. He had a triple lumbar fusion in September and then my bilateral knee was March and now he needs another procedure beginning of September. Not major but it’s been a rough year. Today I just felt I was so tired of daily living. But hopefully I’ll get some sleep tonight. Start fresh tomorrow and just keep cooking. Good thoughts coming my way are welcomed.

@Tmgrl3 and @Benay, my BIL had a THR on June 23rd and the only thing that helped him sleep was adding the Tylenol Pm with his pain med at night too.

Good thoughts coming my way are welcomed.
Here’s some from me! :console2:
You are coming along and have lots to look forward to.
We are part of an acting improv class that starts Sunday again and will be starting some art classes again in August.
This sounds like fun!

What type of art classes? My daughter was an art major in college. She does excellent drawings. She’s a full time mom now with 3 young kids, but she’s starting to take some more art classes now that they are not so little.

sunshine.jpg

19 weeks. Doing everything I need to do. On my feet most of day

Still having sone nights where burning ankles feet and toes keep me from sleeping unless I take tramadol 50 or 25 at bedtime. Fourth time this month. And 14 days into month. Can do whole day without taking anything. Knees still feel like they have blocks in them but don’t think about it during day. Restless leg worse too on nights like this. Went to bed tonight at -0:30 and now at 1 am can’t sleep because of this radiculopathy /neuropathy.

Appetite and mood all good again. Most days. My hubby needs another surgery end of month and has a gastric problem requiring CTs and neuro workup. He was in ER with bad UTI two weeks ago. So a year of surgeries for us. He gets up at seven for work three days a week. I don’t have to so sleeping in guest room where my restlessness keeps me up till 2 or later. So occasional tramadol but not nightly like June 11 when I realized my insomnia was from nighttime’s pain burning. Anyone else have this situation with continued pain meds occasionally at bedtime 4 and ½ months in?

Hi.. I probably should’ve taken a tramadol or couple of Tylenol before bedtime tonight since yesterday was busier than usual and having trouble setting down obviously! Leg just feels uncomfortable especially when I try to sleep on my side as usual. I think today is 14 weeks.

Thanks knee#2. Makes me feel a little bit better about taking it occasionally. I think its Action on serotonin receptors gives me trouble. Because the next day I need to take a little because my heart is racing I’m anxious and short of breath. In the hospital they were giving me my max dose of clonazepam and I think some of that was to offset the 150 to 100 mg a day of tramadol I was taking. Now it’s maybe a couple of times a week but I still didn’t sleep last night more than four or five hours because I didn’t take the tramadol till after 1 AM. So by the time that worked I around two or 230 and was awake by 8:30 in the morning. And that’s not enough sleep for me and especially with a mood disorder

I take Effexor daily also mood disorder drug that regulates serotonin and haven’t experienced those symptoms but have taken for many years.
Hope you can resolve your sleep issues soon! I don’t usually worry about going to sleep late since we are both retired but seems to make my day short on getting much done! Course now I’m blaming it on my knee lol. Anytime you can’t sleep I’m probably still awake too! :friends:Ps. My hubby having lots medical issues himself so understand.

Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors don’t work for me. The bipolar disorder precludes all SSRIs for. I take low dose of remeron. Have got twenty+ years. I don’t want to just take a tramadol every bedtime because 60% of the time just Tylenol is enough but I don’t always know that til an hour or more after I try to go to sleep and my SO isn’t retired. Gets up very early the three days a week he works. Also gets home two oral three nights after 10pm. He is very quiet in the am hoping I can sleep in but I hear him.

Hopefully in time the healing will surpass the burning legs and feet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back