Lounge Doctor

TKR where do you do in home pt?

Jo Wo

Country
United States United States
in your bedroom? living room?
upstairs? downstairs?

trying to prioritize where to declutter.....

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Goodness, IMO you don't need to declutter anywhere. The gentle stretching exercises that are indicated for TKR don't need any special space or preparation.

FourCats

Country
I did mine in my spare bedroom as some of the exercises were done lying down.

Jockette

Country
You can do your exercises anywhere that you are comfortable.

But keep in mind:

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

FourCats

Country
@Jo Wo it may depend on the exercises. One that I did was lifting the leg and moving it outward so a sofa probably would not have enough room. You also want good support and my sofa has several cushions that tend to sink where they meet. But you won’t know until you try!

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

Country
how soon after surgery do they start the in home sessions? I plan to stay upstairs for the first week and take it easy

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
^ ^
It often depends on your surgeon's protocols.

My surgeon, unlike most, doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

eaglemom

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Personally I don't think a sofa would be ideal. Before I knew better I had PT in a spare bedroom. After learning about the BoneSmart way I was either in the den or the bedroom. My home PT learned on the first visit we would just do ADL's and possibly walk around the house. Of course she had a fit, but I explained I was literally paying her to "friend" me for an hour.

She wasn't comfortable doing it my way and I said kept saying its my knee, my house, my rules. She called her boss and my surgeon to tell on me!! Both said she was to do what I said!! She finally relaxed and those 6 weeks flew by. (My insurance mandates in home PT.)

You're in charge, not the PT.

Jockette

Country
(My insurance mandates in home PT.)
eaglemom That is exactly how I will do PT if I am ever required to have PT. This recovery is more common sense than exercises.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
A bed is good because you can lie down and get on and off of it from different directions depending on the knee you had done.
At various home PT appointments with each knee I was lying down, sitting in a (non-rolling) chair or walking a bit. (Not all of those at a time.) My home PT also helped me strategize and build my confidence going up and down stairs which I need to do for laundy.

allin1

Country
I did mine in the kitchen and on the couch. Bedroom is upstairs and I wasn't doing steps the first couple of weeks.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Piratequeen
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom