Where are are the guys on here?!

Ausvaldo

Country
United States United States
Hello just found (and joined) this fab help forum in advance of potential BTHR in Nov (male 46 San Fran based). love the posts and great info on here but slightly curious as to why the apparent lack of males on this forum...is it just a “guy thing” not to seek info/help (perhaps the few posts I’ve checked out thus far are just happen to have gals contributing?!). Only curious (v much not intending to start a battle of the sexes re dealing with surgery on this forum lol!!). Thanks Austyn

Hello @Ausvaldo - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your bilateral hip replacements, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I've moved you post from the Forum Rules and Staff Area into the Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area, where you will meet more people who are also planning to have their hips replaced.
We do have some male members of BoneSmart, but you are correct in noting that there seem to be more women than men here.
Forum Advisors @Layla and @Mojo333 are on the "hippie" side of BoneSmart every day. they may be able to tell you of a few men going through hip replacement and recovery.

Meanwhile, I'll give you the pre-op reading for people having their hips replaced.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

:wave:and welcome to the place where you can talk to those who have been there and done that.
Glad to see you will soon be on your way to getting your life back with two good hips.
I had my replaced nearly 2 1/2 years ago due to endstage OA at age 53...and shudder to think where I might be now if not for bilateral hip replacement. :umm:
There are many women on here and also quite a few men here with alot more members who got through recovery and are back to life so don't pop in often.
I'll tag a few of our male members so they know you're on board.
@Going4fun
@dlp
@ForumUser
@Eman85
All are ones that come to mind but I'm certain I'm forgetting some.
Lots of great advice and support here.
Glad you joined us.

@Ausvaldo Mojo333 mentioned several of our male members here and if you go over to the recovery side find a green BILATERAL tag. Click on the tag and you'll get a list of all the bilateral threads here -- and there are quite a few of us :). The guys don't seem to hang around as long as some of us gals do but there are a number of men who have had BTHRs. You can find the recovery threads of some of them on the list mentioned above.

@irishjoe

@mannyalfa

@ATC

@tony2hips

Thanks all for the welcome! Not too concerned male/female (was just curious re lack of males). Q Any thread on deciding on Bi versus single. Much appreciated. Thanks A

It has come to me from my time on the forum that most members who have had successful Bilateral hip replacements are happy to be One and Done.

The advantages of bilateral total hip replacement can include one trip to the operating room instead of two, one anesthetic and therefore one hospitalization. Patients who are employed may find that they need less time off from work overall than if they were to recover from two hip replacements on two different occasions. Often recovering from one replacement with one equally bad hip can be difficult.

My OS is the one who suggested it and considered me a good candidate.

Of course, there is double the time under anaesthesia, double the blood loss, double the surgical trauma and double the energy drain.
With my OS blessing and a patient mindset toward early days in recovery, I have never regretted getting Both at Once.

Well I'm a guy ... I have no idea why guys don't write more ... but there will be periods with lots of guys writing ... The key thing is that the people on the board are really well-informed and extremely supportive! ...

And that's the magical combination: technical information ... and emotional support all along the way ... and of course those categories cross over ... after surgery people have technical questions that frighten them ... Glad you found this place.

Hi,

I'm a 53 year old male. Surgery isn't planned until January and the wait is almost unbearable. My hip continues to degrade at a faster pace as time goes on.

I don't post too much anymore but I drop in to read new posts and follow those who are going through this process.

@Ausvaldo In addition to what Mojo333 said about the benefits of getting a BTHR, my surgeon also told me that doing both at once would help me return to a normal gait faster than doing one at a time - as I would not be limping on bad leg between surgeries. Also he said there would be less risk of me having a leg length differential problem (one leg ending up longer than the other) as some times happens with hip replacements done at separate times.

The only life time restriction surgeon imposed was "no bungie cord jumping" - twas not on my bucket list anyway so no problem there :rotfl:

Now a days (nearly 8 years post hip replacements) I rarely think of having artificial hips and shoulders ... until I log in here or run across someone IRL who is dealing with hip problems.

Welcome! I think you'll like us all, girl or guy.
You'll find lots of great info here and the support and encouragement is next to none. At you're age, if bilateral THR is an option, I'd consider it. One recovery and you'll be on your way. Easy for me to say as I'd be too chicken, but it sure would be nice to have them done at once if they are both shot. Wishing you comfort and all the best as you contemplate options.
Have a great weekend!
@Ausvaldo

@Ausvaldo

Male checking in here. I'm 45 and planning on having right THR done in the near future. I actually have an appointment to see Dr. Thomas Vail in San Francisco in December. He has a great reputation and is very experienced, so I'm likely going to have the surgery done by him. I live down in Southern California, and I have another surgeon in Santa Monica that I saw earlier this year (who is just as experienced and rated just as highly as Dr. Vail) but I didn't much care for this particular surgeon's attitude and bedside manner. Another surgeon that I considered at USC just retired a few months ago, so that eliminated him.

I originally planned to have surgery at HSS in NYC, but my insurance no longer covers out of state care. So, I started focusing on surgeons closer to home.

And since SF is relatively close, I made an appointment with Dr. Vail after being given his name by a forum member on this site. I hear and read great things about Dr. Vail, so I'm very much looking forward to my consultation with him. He's a very busy guy obviously because I had to wait about 6 months to see him from the day that I called his office to my appointment date.

A bit of background info on my issue: I had an adolescent hip problem (SCFE) which resulted in my having pins placed in both of my hips at age 13. The right hip was pretty bad; the left not so much. After the surgery (and after the pin removal), my hips were never normal, with the right hip being severely deformed and never feeling quite right. Consequently, the right hip slowly wore out over time and now is almost bone-on-bone and fairly stiff. I've contemplated having the hip replaced for the last few years, but I think the time is just about right to do it now. I'm tired of not being able to move and bend and twist and pivot very well.

Luckily for me, however, my pain level are minimal; in truth, I have relatively little hip pain, but I do have considerable pain in my lower leg, knee, and lower back (along with ample hip joint stiffness). My hip biomechanics are compromised enough to where it causes issues in other parts of my body. And I think it's time to fix everything.

Another Sr. guy checkin in .... Best of luck with the procedure .. After our new hips are "installed" we tend to move to the post surgery area. My first was in July and second was last week .. I could not be more pleased with the outcome ...walking virtually pain free with just a cane ... Again, best of luck and you will never regret your decision ..Doing both at the same time is a rather exclusive club ... I congratulate your courage....

Guy checking in. I check in once-in-awhile but was much more active here prior to surgery and in the first few months after.

@sfbaylover
Very similar story - bilateral Perthes - surgery with hardware at a young age - right was worse - osteoarthritis got the better of me - replacement almost 5 years ago. Seems like the left is progressing in the same way just a bit slower. Hope to get several more years out if it before replacement.

@JayP

What a bummer to have grown up with bad hips, huh? Personally, the psychological impacts were just as devastating as were the physical impacts. Luckily, however, I was able to be very active through adolescence and young adulthood, but my hips just never felt "right" and unfortunately limited my mobility such that I never felt confident enough to play any sports or take martial arts ( something I really wanted to do). I could box a bit and hit the bags and cycle and weight lift, etc., but I still felt limited and also a bit self-conscious due to my not feeling physically 100%.

I look forward to getting my right hip done and likely the left hip done shortly thereafter. I'm hoping that I can make up for lost time so to speak by simply feeling better physically after the surgeries and therefore more capable and less restricted.

How does your hip feel thus far? Does your replaced hip feel normal? Are you consciously aware of having a prosthetic hip, or do you not really notice it? Good luck to you nevertheless. It must have been a huge relief to get the worse hip fixed.

Also a guy. I’ve been a research junky, even viewing videos of operations.
Getting it done tomorrow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom