THR When will I be able to walk unaided?

Please don't try to hobble...it won't make (force) you to walk quicker or better, just give you a rotten gait to overcome later. :bignono: My PT always said to use the crutch as long as you need to so as NOT to limp. When you're strong enough (and those glute muscles DO need time to get stronger) magic will happen, I promise. @Debru4 gave you good advice. Everyone is different but some stories are truly far fetched. I was using one crutch up to 12 weeks and yes I was getting frustrated too. But don't be sad, just go with the flow and you'll get there...with good form, to boot. :console2:. :walking:

@Sheffield1966

Just saying hello, very normal to be anxious and impatient. I can honestly say I struggle with it a few moments every day and I am over 6 weeks. One thing to try is to write down accomplishments in 10 day intervals. Slow and steady wins this race.

@Calgal is exactly right on gate. Different days and even different hours of same day, your muscles will need more or less assistance from walking aide. Hang in there and let it all out here. We can relate. :SUNsmile:

Everyone is different. Today I went for my 2 week checkup and the waiting room was full of people who were also operated on 2 weeks ago. One had a walker, one was using a cane, and I was walking unaided though I get a twinge when I put full weight on. So, outcomes will be different and people heal at different paces. Entirely possible that the person with the walker will be more fully recovered than I when we all show up for our 6 week checkup! hang in there.

A little perspective sometimes helps. Even 2weeks from my year anniversary, a short while ago my husband and I were shopping and he asked me why I was limping. Yep. I WAS limping and didn’t even realize it but I did know I was hurting for whatever reason. Maybe I had too much activity, the weather turned really cold and nasty, or something else. The point is: recovery continues at its own pace and can surprise you at its various time lines and permutations. You figure out what is unique to you and what helps. It can’t be rushed or compared only embraced and accepted. Be kind and patient with yourself and soon you’ll be pleasantly surprised at your progress. :)

Entirely possible that the person with the walker will be more fully recovered than I when we all show up for our 6 week checkup! hang in there.

So true!
@Sheffield1966 as some already mentioned here... slow and steady wins the race!
Please remember what has been done to your body… you were sliced open, bone was cut, some things were pounded, screwed, glued, muscles and skin were bruised too… you were physically manhandled while you were under anesthesia.. and than you were closed back up! tough… isn’t it?
And all that happened just a bit over 3 weeks ago.
There is no such a thing as speedy recovery. Trying to hurry your recovery can make things worse.
Take it slow and easy, rest and ice regularly... you will be improving each day - it just takes time and tons of patience.

I had my first THR in Sep and the second in early Dec and it is only few days ago that I started forgetting my cane.

:cheers:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How have you been over the past week since we last heard from you?
Hopefully you're doing well and feeling encouraged by your progress. Drop us an update if you're feeling up to it. We're all ears.
Happy Thursday and a great weekend to you! :SUNsmile:
@Sheffield1966

Hi, I'm doing reasonably ok, I've had physio a couple of times and she suggested I try taking a few steps unaided. Well I've been trying at home but my muscles hurt and I look like metal mickey when I walk! I've sacked all exercise for a few days as I'm sore and I'm using one crutch the majority of the time. I'll get there, everyone does and if it takes a week or two longer then I'd prefer the less painful route!!!!

Well I've been trying at home but my muscles hurt and I look like metal mickey when I walk!

I did not feel too strong after I tried to go to the cane and went back to the walker, with a cane attached, for short distances. The problem was my muscles on the side where my surgery was done were not engaging yet. PT tested those muscles today, and they are engaging and not going into a sharp spasm like they did last week. So I am going to try using the cane a bit more. Everyone heals at different rates. Hope you will get more comfortable soon.

@Sheffield1966 , hi I’m 6weeks past on Wednesday after THR. Been on 1 crutch since beg of week 3 but think it’ll be a couple of weeks yet before I can do without the crutch inside far less outside. I tried going without it this morning and managed 3 steps but it was painful and I was dipping on the operated side so am quite happy to leave it till my checkup at 8 weeks before I try again. I’ve had both knees replaced in last 3 years and those took quite a while before I was confident walking outside unaided. I’ve read various posts both on the knee page and on the hip page where people are saying their walking 2 miles unaided at 3 weeks et etc, to be honest I point blank do not believe them, yes everyone recovers at a different rate but some of the claims are direct from cloud cuckoo land as far as I’m concerned. Don’t panic if you see stuff like that and wonder why you’re not at that stage, just be content that you’re recovery is coming along at a normal rate. By the summer you’ll have been stick free for ages and hopefully beginning to forget that you’ve had the replacement :egypdance:

@Sheffield1966

I'm a few weeks in as well. I too was feeling frustrated with my recovery because it seemed like everyone bounced back so fast, was driving and back to work in a few weeks. I'm just starting to walk 10 minutes per day with my cane. After that I'm tired and need to rest. My muscles hurt after PT and I've pulled back on these also. Like you said, we will get there it will just take some time.

Agree with your approach. You know your body and if resting occasionally from the exercises helps get you there, then great. I don’t know if you’re including walking in that as I would caution that not regularly moving, at least by walking a bit, could contribute to soreness/stiffness and you want to keep the blood circulating as well. Also be sure you are elevating and icing everyday a few times if you are still experiencing soreness. They were my friends for several months and still are my go tos even now when I’ve overdone things. Keep hanging in there. It does get better. Keep us posted.

Are you icing often? I was driving in a few weeks but getting in and out of the car wasn't easy and I couldn't drive far. I couldn't get comfortable and I couldn't drive far. Luckily I don't have to go to work, but there is no way I could have gone to work for a few months. I was off of the cane quicker with my first hip but the second took much longer to feel secure enough go without it.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How is the healing going? We’d love to read of your progress. Please leave an update next time you stop by the forum.
Hope to hear from you soon! :)
@Sheffield1966

Hi everyone. I read through my own thread and it made me smile. I was so despairing and I think it's a great idea to evaluate your own progress month by month. I'm great, I'm walking unaided but limping a bit outside. That said I won't be going out much for the foreseeable with this dreadful virus that's sweeping continents. My muscles are still a bit weak and I'm a bit weary at the end of the day but I'm happy with my progress. The hip pain has gone, the scar is healing nicely, I just need to gain some leg muscle strength now. The surgeon did his part wonderfully now I've got to do mine. Stay safe everyone.

Hello and Happy Monday :wave:
Thanks for the update, it’s good to hear you’re doing well.
And just think, it’s going to get even better :yes!:
Take care, be safe and stay well!
@Sheffield1966

Hello and Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you continue to enjoy steady progress. Let us know how you’re doing when you have time. Will look forward to hearing from you.
Stay safe and well. :flwrysmile:
@Sheffield1966

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
We’d love to know how you’re doing. It’s also inspirational to those following behind you to read about your progress. Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:
A great rest of the week to you!
@Sheffield1966

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom