TKR When to celebrate

Nomorelimp

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi all. I had a RTKR 12 days ago and am finding things one step forward and two back!

I feel lucky in that I don’t seem to have a lot of actual pain- it’s more discomfort - and start feeling edgy or jittery if I am coming up to time for meds.

Just started trying to walk round house today without crutches. I was feeling good today as I managed a bit more sleep last night. Most days I find it hard to lift the operated leg but todzy it felt better. Back to log leg this evening though.

Today I got dressed. I have not done that since my visit to physio five days ago.

Am I doing ok?

Hi and Welcome! Yes, you are doing fine. We all felt just like you do at this point.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Please confirm your surgery date and we’ll make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

Reactions: shr
Hi all
Just wondering when it would be appropriate to go out for a meal with a glass of wine to celebrate the new knee? Do you have to wait for the 6 week check up?

I don’t have an answer to your question, I was so miserable in the early weeks, going out socially was the last thing on my mind. I don’t care for wine, either, but I’m thinking not while you are on prescription pain medication.

Maybe just have a few friends over for dessert at your house?

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Hi so I’m coming up to my 6 week checkup in 4 days. On Wednesday the physio told me to go back the pool. Yikes- the lift wasn’t working. It was 4 flights down and 4 back . I was in the pool for 50 minutes just walking or doing exercises. Since then I get a stabbing pain in kneecap when I lift leg and extend it. The physio who is normally very gentle has told me to keep going to the pool every day til I see him next week but I’m wondering if I should stop and just rest it? What do you think?
Also it looks like a tiny internal stitch might be coming through my healed scar. Could this cause infection ?

I had a similar experience with the pool and you can easily do more than your knee is ready for! My one and only pool PT was also 50 minutes long, with the PT giving me countless bending exercises to do. Then, to add insult to injury (literally) she had me do the steps out of the pool foot over foot. It was the first time I’d attempted that, and I was only 4 weeks post op. It took me 3 days to recover and sent me to the internet to google stopping PT and thankfully that’s when I found Bonesmart. Too many PTs have no clue about how to rehab a knee replacement.

That much time in a pool every day will most likely cause you a lot of pain, also.

Keep an eye on the stitch and be sure to tell your surgeon about it. You might want to give them a call and ask if they want to see you sooner than the 4 days. Usually it’s not a problem, but sometimes it can be.

If it were me, I would stay out of the pool until the issue with the stitch is completely healed up.

Any open wound caused by the stitch coming to the surface is not a tunnel to the joint (I asked my doctor when the same thing happened to me), but you still don’t want to risk an infection.

The chlorine in the pool doesn’t kill everything - I once caught a bad case of conjunctivitis from a public pool.

If your knee protests an activity, it's telling you it's not ready for that yet. Back off it, give your knee some more healing time, then try a modified version of the activity to see if your knee is okay with it.

This recovery has it's ups and downs and we need to listen to our knees as they recover. Ignoring the signals they give is not a good idea. Sometimes your knee will be okay with something, only to protest the same activity the next time, so paying attention is a good idea for a less bumpy road to recovery.

The stabbing pain is your knee telling you it wasn't ready for all that. IMO, all those stairs alone were too much, let alone such a long time in the pool, then doing all those exercises....whew!

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with the pool and you can easily do more than your knee is ready for! My one and only pool PT was also 50 minutes long, with the PT giving me countless bending exercises to do. Then, to add insult to injury (literally) she had me do the steps out of the pool foot over foot. It was the first time I’d attempted that, and I was only 4 weeks post op. It took me 3 days to recover and sent me to the internet to google stopping PT and thankfully that’s when I found Bonesmart. Too many PTs have no clue about how to rehab a knee replacement.

That much time in a pool every day will most likely cause you a lot of pain, also.

Keep an eye on the stitch and be sure to tell your surgeon about it. You might want to give them a call and ask if they want to see you sooner than the 4 days. Usually it’s not a problem, but sometimes it can be.
Guys thank you all so much and particularly Jockette who replied early this morning ( in Ireland) advising me to call the doctor. I did and was told to come to the clinic this morning and they removed the suture. So because of that no more pool til it’s healed again. I can now have a relaxed weekend not bothered by the fear of infection. Thanks again

Hi all
I had TRKR on May 31 and knee is recovering great. Back at work, sleep is improving, doing most things in moderation and so happy!
Only problem is terrible heel and ankle inflammation on the non operated leg. I can only wear one pair of Strive sandals when walking as otherwise - even in running shoes - pain is excruciating.
I’m scheduled for an MRI but am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

terrible heel and ankle inflammation on the non operated leg
Doesn't sound like anything that would be related to your RTKR. When is your MRI scheduled? Who did you see to refer you to an MRI?

Hi all. I had a RTKR 12 days ago and am finding things one step forward and two back!

I feel lucky in that I don’t seem to have a lot of actual pain- it’s more discomfort - and start feeling edgy or jittery if I am coming up to time for meds.

Just started trying to walk round house today without crutches. I was feeling good today as I managed a bit more sleep last night. Most days I find it hard to lift the operated leg but todzy it felt better. Back to log leg this evening though.

Today I got dressed. I have not done that since my visit to physio five days ago.

Am I doing ok?
How ironic I was at 2 weeks post op last Monday and wasn’t seeing really any improvement but this past week I started to notice improvement. On Tuesday I felt improvement then the next I said to myself it’s like I took 2 steps back because I was hurting so I took it easy then the next day I felt a little better in a different sense then the following day it was like 2 steps back again. I think it was linked to feeling better and doing more and paying for it the next day

Hi Jaycey
My OS referred me to a sports medicine consultant. The physio thinks it might be to do with the change of gait. I was wearing slip on shoes without much support immediately after the TKR.
I’m amazed this hasn’t come up for anyone else if that’s the problem. I’ll let you know when I get mri results..

Ok I have a bursa and tendinitis in the foot of the non operated leg?!?who knew?
My knee however is great. Surgery was May 30th. Thanks to all of you for your support and great advice . This site is a real companion on the journey.

It's wonderful to hear how well your new knee is doing. Hopefully, that other foot will heal quickly. I guess all the stress you put on it with favoring your new knee angered it. Now, that your TKR is doing so well, you can give that left foot a break and let it heal. Are you wearing a brace on it? I found it helps a lot when my foot and ankle act up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads