when is it appropriate to return to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am going in on May 30 for my surgery, I am 53 and up until about 8 monthes ago I was running on a almost daily basis. I am hyper so staying still will be a major job for me. I am hopeing that this will help my recovery. I plan to take around 3-4 monthes off as I have a very demanding job and need to be 100%.. Please let me know if any one else out there is a x runner

Hi runner,

Been in your shoes! I had simultaneous bilateral THR at age 53 on May 28, 2005. I was a runner. I had only started running at age 50, and my hips were bad long before that, but I soon became addicted to running. My new DH and I ran together and it was a huge part of our life together. But it got harder and harder to handle the pain, especially after long runs which I loved the most. Shortly after doing a 1/2, while training for a full marathon, I just had to stop running. It was crushing. I was able to continue many of our cross training activites so I was able to stay in good shape.

The third OS I went to was the one that I finally had complete faith in. He spent a lot of time with us to see just what I wanted from my new hips. while he wasn't thrilled that I wished to continue running, he did not forbid it and chose the type prothesis he felt would work best for a high level of activity.

Thanks to the great skill of my OS, my good physical condition and a very supportive hubby, I broke all kinds of recovery records. I was home in 2 days (a hospital record for bilateral), forgetting to use my crutches within 4 days, and back to many activities within a few months. Before the summer was out, I was rollerblading, hiking/climbing, horseback riding, kayaking, weight training, biking and even some short runs on very cushioned surfaces. The winter brought x/c and downhill skiing. It was glorious to be able to do everything again without the grinding pain!

A good friend/neighbor of ours who is a wicked avid runner (does well at Boston) just had one hip replaced last month. He is planning on returning to running.

There use to be a message board on The Running Network of runners with THR, but it got shut down due to spam. I met Marilyn there, who may pop up here too. She is doing tris and just ran a 1/2!

Today, just shy of 2 yrs post op, I can only say how much I love my new hips and the new lease on life they have given me. I am now a competitive rider (hunter/jumper and eventing), starting to race masters mountain bike as well as all the rest of the things we love to do. I have to say, I no longer consider myself a runner. I do miss it, but the horse has filled the gap. I will do hill repeats, and short runs, all on soft surfaces with very cushioned shoes. I realize that I may be shortening the life span of my hips and am willing to accept that risk. On the other hand, my surgeon is tickled that I have such strong muscles that are doing a great job of protecting my hips. He feels I have practically no chance of dislocation and has lifted all restrictions. To me, I did not have this surgery to sit on a couch to make them last longer, I had it to get my life back.

If you would like to email me, I would be happy to chat more with you. Where are you located? What type of replacement, surgery are you having? Best of luck to you.

Andrea

It's been been four months now and I am walking normally most of the time, almost 100%. When I have been sitting a long time I limp badly but that is due more to arthritis than surgery. Stepping up on curbs or steps I feel slightly weaker with my repaired hip, but I think that's also partly my laziness in exercising enough. I walk every day and swim a couple of times a week. The pain in my left (repaired) hip is far, far less than my right which still needs surgery. I am extrememly happy that I did this and will get the other hip done in the fall, no question. Hang in there. It does get better as you go along. Do the exercises!

Good to hear from you. I loved what you said about your not going thru this to sit on a couch and save your hip. I couldnt agree more. I live on a farm in wisconsin have horses, 5 dogs about 10 cats and love being outside. I just called my girlfriend and want to get plans going for a ski trip out west. I am hopping to get moving asap....You know what they say no pain no gain. About 12 years ago I shattered 2 bones in my hand and had 2 plates and 8 screws in my hand and was cleaning stalls and riding in about 2 weeks. I know this will not go quite so smoothly but I will be happy to get a good noght sleep and not wake up everty hour to take more alieve or naproxin. I wish it was in the fall instead of the summer as we only get 3 good monthes of warm weather in Wisconsin and I want to go fishing. Did you have to do lthe blood clot shots to the stomach when you got home?? I do realize that I wont be a long distance runner but this does give me some hope to maybe do alot of cross training and do a triathalon next summerr. I do like to swim . Thanks so much for your reply it was so nice to hear from someone who is my age. Everytime I tell someone they have a grandma or grandpa who had it done. Ha ha... Although I just read that Mary Lou Retton the gymnast had one done at 37 and Jimmy connors the tennis player also had a THR. Well its time to go feed the dogs ....Take care Runner
Hi runner,

Been in your shoes! I had simultaneous bilateral THR at age 53 on May 28, 2005. I was a runner. I had only started running at age 50, and my hips were bad long before that, but I soon became addicted to running. My new DH and I ran together and it was a huge part of our life together. But it got harder and harder to handle the pain, especially after long runs which I loved the most. Shortly after doing a 1/2, while training for a full marathon, I just had to stop running. It was crushing. I was able to continue many of our cross training activites so I was able to stay in good shape.

The third OS I went to was the one that I finally had complete faith in. He spent a lot of time with us to see just what I wanted from my new hips. while he wasn't thrilled that I wished to continue running, he did not forbid it and chose the type prothesis he felt would work best for a high level of activity.

Thanks to the great skill of my OS, my good physical condition and a very supportive hubby, I broke all kinds of recovery records. I was home in 2 days (a hospital record for bilateral), forgetting to use my crutches within 4 days, and back to many activities within a few months. Before the summer was out, I was rollerblading, hiking/climbing, horseback riding, kayaking, weight training, biking and even some short runs on very cushioned surfaces. The winter brought x/c and downhill skiing. It was glorious to be able to do everything again without the grinding pain!

A good friend/neighbor of ours who is a wicked avid runner (does well at Boston) just had one hip replaced last month. He is planning on returning to running.

There use to be a message board on The Running Network of runners with THR, but it got shut down due to spam. I met Marilyn there, who may pop up here too. She is doing tris and just ran a 1/2!

Today, just shy of 2 yrs post op, I can only say how much I love my new hips and the new lease on life they have given me. I am now a competitive rider (hunter/jumper and eventing), starting to race masters mountain bike as well as all the rest of the things we love to do. I have to say, I no longer consider myself a runner. I do miss it, but the horse has filled the gap. I will do hill repeats, and short runs, all on soft surfaces with very cushioned shoes. I realize that I may be shortening the life span of my hips and am willing to accept that risk. On the other hand, my surgeon is tickled that I have such strong muscles that are doing a great job of protecting my hips. He feels I have practically no chance of dislocation and has lifted all restrictions. To me, I did not have this surgery to sit on a couch to make them last longer, I had it to get my life back.

If you would like to email me, I would be happy to chat more with you. Where are you located? What type of replacement, surgery are you having? Best of luck to you.

Andrea

Hi I am having the metal with ceramic. The kind with the holes in it so ther is no glue. Just went and got the pre op today. I have had too much time to think about it I just want to get over and done with so I can start on the recovery period.

Hi runner,

Ha, looks like we kinda have parallel lives! We live in Vermont, raise, show and run Siberian Huskies (8), run a boarding/grooming kennel, only have 4 cats, and I own a hot shot, red head, Hanovarian mare. We mostly do skijoring with the Siberians now.

Opps, hit enter too fast...so to continue:

I think you will probably be able to fish this summer. We were kayaking by mid July, so if you fish from a boat, that should work.

I originally was on coumadin (pills) for blood thinner, but due to a glitch that required a second procedure, I had to stop that and go to the Lovenox (injection). I am a vet tech by schooling so I thought I could do it no problem, but I just could not stick myself!! big Baby. But dear sweet hubby stepped up to the plate and learned to do it for me. The needle is tiny so it is not that painful, just kind of a pain in the butt to do 2x/day. However, and here is another plus for being fit, I did not have to do it for long since I was considered very low risk for clotting. I did learn that the more muscular you are, the harder and higher dose you need to get to the required level.

My hips are Stryker titanium/highly crosslinked poly, uncemented. Have you discussed running with your THR with your surgeon? I kinda think some surgeons have a little more confidence in their work so are not so hardline about post surgical activites. There really is not much as far as scientific evidence on wear and tear from physical activites except that one study that can go both ways. Looks like the very active participants had the best results and quality of life for at least 10 years but then there was a slightly higher level of revisions after that. I think we may need to have a support group for athletic hippies!! We are after all, a very misunderstood bunch :)

Less than a week to go....I will be pulling for you so keep me posted!!!

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back