THR When can I get back to the gym?<

@erwrightie, are you walking. Walking is totally allowed by almost all surgeons. Can you walk yet without a cane?

Definitely you do not have to stay stationary unless the surgeon ordered you to do so. Get out there walking and building up your wind.

Unbelievably frustrating to get to the hospital in the wee hours of the morning to have surgery, only to be released for home over 8 hrs later to come back another day. :tantrum: :gaah: :hairpulling:

Let us know what your OS says about the charity cycle after you meet with him this week.
You know where to find us :wink:

Have a great week!
@erwrightie

@Going4fun I have done some walking but I do find that my muscles ache if I do too much. I’m walking with one crutch around the house and if I know I’m going out for a walk i’ll take two.

I had my staples removed on Friday and the nurse put a dressing on it and said the incision had healed and is fine - when should I remove the dressing? She said to take it off that night but I could see a bit of weeping on the dressing and so was scared to take it off haha

I would leave the incision covered if it's weeping. I'd consider calling the office of the OS tomorrow and inquiring about it.The last thing you want to deal with is an infection risk with an open wound.
Just my opinion. It's what I would do.
@erwrightie

@Layla thats great advice, the suregons office has an emergency nurse number so I’ll give her a ring and ask her what she suggests! Thanks

Definitely contact the nurse for reassurance.

Walking is really good and using the crutches does help not to put too much strain too soon. You will soon find you are down to one crutch for short distances. I used to take both in case I got tired in walks but did concentrate on heel to toe walking, clenching my butt and keeping my back straight. It all helped.. do keep up with some painkillers and to help with swelling as you are still quite early along the recovery route!

I have done some walking but I do find that my muscles ache if I do too much.
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Hey @Josephine thanks for getting back to me!

1. I had a posterior approach :)

2. I would have to say taking into account ALL factors that you’ve listed I’m about a 3 and it’s mainly aching and stiffness.

3. I’m not taking any medications. I don’t feel they are necessary and I’ve coped well without them. I have a really high pain threshold normally anyway.

4. I have iced my knee but only once and for about an hour.

5. I elevate my leg whenever I’m sat down in front of the TV which is all day. So apart from getting up and doing things my leg is up.

6. So currently I’m not doing much in terms of housework or cooking. I just walk around the house and tell my husband what needs doing.

7. Yes, I don’t know the names of the exercises but I’ll try my best
raising my operated leg by bending it at the knee x 5, every hour of the day
side kicks, probably not what they are called but taking the operated leg out to the side x 5 every hour of the day
back kicks x 5 every hour of the day.

This is what my physio told me to do before I left the hospital. I’m not seeing a PT at the moment as I haven’t been sent through an appointment. I’ve been referred but just waiting to hear from them.

2. I would have to say taking into account ALL factors that you’ve listed I’m about a 3
Only a 3 at 2½ weeks? That's unbelievable!
3. I’m not taking any medications. I don’t feel they are necessary and I’ve coped well without them.
hmmm -- okay
4. I have iced my knee but only once and for about an hour.
Icing is not for you knee but for your hip. Why did you feel the need to ice your knee>
5. I elevate my leg whenever I’m sat down in front of the TV which is all day. So apart from getting up and doing things my leg is up.
Good
6. So currently I’m not doing much in terms of housework or cooking. I just walk around the house and tell my husband what needs doing.
Lucky you!
7. Yes, I don’t know the names of the exercises but I’ll try my best
raising my operated leg by bending it at the knee x 5, every hour of the day
side kicks, probably not what they are called but taking the operated leg out to the side x 5 every hour of the day
back kicks x 5 every hour of the day.
This is what my physio told me to do before I left the hospital
Did you read the Guidelines in the second post of this thread? And did you also fail to notice the paragraph entitled "BIG TIP"? Just to remind you, this is what it said

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I’m not seeing a PT at the moment as I haven’t been sent through an appointment. I’ve been referred but just waiting to hear from them.
You don't need a PT (physio)

@Josephine

2. Yeah, I’m just really really stiff and achy which I don’t find painful more just uncomfortable. I hope I don’t jinx myself

3. Should I be taking painkillers then?

4. I iced my knee because I had shooting pains about a week ago and I remember reading somewhere on this forum that if it hurt ice it. So that’s what I did and it worked a treat! I haven’t iced my hip because I’m not quite sure where to ice.. i.e., my groin? Incision? Etc?

6. Yes I’ve been extremely lucky that I’ve had people be around me to help me out.

7. I read the guidelines but I just assumed that if a PT gave those exercises they were okay to do. Would you recommend not doing them then and just walk? And I don’t need physio at all? Can I ask why.

Thanks for your reply btw! x

I didn’t use pain killers either after the first 24 hours (made me sick). I did ok on 1000 mg of acetaminophen taken as directed throughout the day. I think I just got used to pain from before hip surgery! My quad is still tight (I guess that is the upper front leg muscle) but it’s SLOWLY getting better and my range of motion better (it’s been 3 months since THR). This tightness affected my knee also, so that’s something that is SLOWLY getting better. I still sleep with a pillow between my knees, just more comfortable.
I too have been frustrated about getting back to the gym and exercising. But everyone is right: if it hurts, stop; everyone heals at different speeds; and you will get back to it. Good luck to you.

@Maryluibel thanks for your reply! I’m glad I’m not the only that stopped the pain killers early. I can feel like still very tight but until they lift the precautions I won’t know just how tight I actually am. I feel far better than I did 2 weeks ago so I’m hoping in another 2 weeks I’ll feel SO SO much better!

Hello :wave:
I took 4 Oxy (total) then took Extra Strength Tylenol for about the first two weeks of recovery. So you're not alone. I have an aversion to meds, but I also have a high pain threshold. I'd recommend speaking with your OS or a member of his care team about this since you mentioned you're stiff and achy. You may fee better being on an Extra Strength Tylenol schedule for a few more weeks. It could keep you more mobile also.

Ice your hip, groin, incision....whatever hurts. Ice for 40-60 mins each session, no less. Target several times daily.

The Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines is helpful in explaining the BoneSmart view on PT -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope you have a great Tuesday!
@erwrightie

Hello! I have a question. I’ve seen a number of xrays on BoneSmart and the majority of them do not have a screw into the pelvis. I just want to know if anyone knows any reason why a screw would have been used in my surgery and what implications that has? Or benefits?

ERW.jpg

Yeah, I’m just really really stiff and achy which I don’t find painful more just uncomfortable. I hope I don’t jinx myself
It's a fact that many people don't recognise soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness as pain but it is. And often it needs medicating too.
Should I be taking painkillers then?
Only if you want to. I'm not twisting your arm!
I iced my knee because I had shooting pains about a week ago and I remember reading somewhere on this forum that if it hurt ice it. So that’s what I did and it worked a treat! I haven’t iced my hip because I’m not quite sure where to ice.. i.e., my groin? Incision? Etc?
Put the ice on part/area where the pain is.
I read the guidelines but I just assumed that if a PT gave those exercises they were okay to do. Would you recommend not doing them then and just walk? And I don’t need physio at all? Can I ask why.
A very big YES to those last two comments.
Thanks for your reply btw! x
You are most welcome!

I just want to know if anyone knows any reason why a screw would have been used in my surgery and what implications that has?
Don't fret about that screw. It's just required by the design of the hip replacement you have. There are no implications so far as you are concerned.

My xray looks like yours with a big screw in the pelvis.

UPDATE: didn’t get to see surgeon today but one of his doctors who told me she would not recommend me cycling London to Paris so it’s a no go on the cycling front. She has however told me that if I want to go back to the gym to do upper body I could return tomorrow.. not that I’m going too. I think I’ll wait for the 6 weeks mark though.

I agree with you. Am a gym/pilates/walking bunny and the only thing I'm doing right now is walking, walking, walking - uphill and downhill all on double crutches about 50 mins to an hour each day. Plus all the normal walking you do just around the house etc. Inside house on one crutch and now some steps no crutches (I'm a bhr Feb 19th). I probably could do some upper body in the gym but you know what it just doesn't feel right at the moment so am listening to my body very carefully. Plus this site over and over again stresses to take things slowly and carefully for the best outcomes. And I'm listening … not usually my strong card!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back