When are you really ready to take the plunge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myliberty

Over 30 years ago (when I was a teenager) I was in a car accident which resulted in the loss of the patella on my right knee. I have dealt with the instability of this knee all of these years which hasn't been a great imposition until the last 3-4 years. Since then the function and pain level have become increasingly worse. I have been going for orthovisc injections which help for a while, but this time around I don't think I will even make the 6 mos. Also, my left knee has had to overcompensate all of these years which too is now showing bone loss although not as severe.

I have been mulling the idea of knee replacement for the past year, but of course I have my good days which makes the decision for actually doing the surgery tough. When do you really decide to take the leap? When the pain is just so unbearable that there is no other choice? When you're not living the lifestyle that you have been accustom to? Or just do it because you know eventually you will have to and the sooner you do, the sooner you can get on with your life?

Of course my family is all for my getting it done, in fact my husband would love for me to have both done at the same time (although my doctor is not so keen on that idea). But, the recovery scares me to death. I am not a very good sicklet, and do not look forward to any downtime.

I have been monitoring this forum for a while, and read alot about the good the bad and the ugly, but all of you sound so sincere and are ready to reach out to help each other. That is what really keeps me coming back to this site. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, myliberty! You could not have picked a better name for yourself for the reason to get it done ASAP...... It gives you your freedom to return to living and doing the things you love to do, or have not been able to do (within reason) and does give you your liberty!
As I have posted before, there is no other way I would want to recover to needing both done, than doing them both at the same time. You must be prepared for the surgery. You must know what to expect. You also need to work hard both before and after the surgery to make your body strong for your recovery. Upper body strength is vital to an easier recovery as you need those arm muscles to move your body around no matter if you use a walker, or crutches.
I was 58 years old when I had BTKR. I was sick and tired of not being able to enjoy the things I used to do. I could not even walk around the block without being in pain, could not stand for long periods of time. I wanted my life back!
I took it back and 7.5 month post op I was able to return to skiing, something I love to do as I was a ski instructor for 7 years. I also taught Physical Education for 5 years and have run my own Family Child Care business for the last 28 years and continue to do so today. The children keep me young!
It sounds like you already know it is time to get your knees done. I have a Vietnam veteran friend who was debilitated due to taking 8 bullets who last July had a TKR done without a patella. He has done very well. Has had issues with sciatica and stretching out his muscles that had shortened over time. A recumbent bike has helped him greatly.
Purchase the book Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation written by an OS and PT who both have gone thru the operation themselves and practice with patients who have TKR. This book is a wonderful handbook guide to pre/ and post op from day one thru the first year.
I purchased a Total Gym (used from craigslist) and a reduced price compterized Schwinn 113 stationary bike from eBay that had a damaged fan. I really didn't need air blowing on me to exercise! I still use them both.
My advice? Buy and read the book, and prepare yourself for surgery to get your life back and enjoy it following recovery. It is definitely worth it!
Best,
Crystal

Welcome Liberty! I'm a hippie, Although I can't offer you any medical advice,,,by the sound of your post, I'd say you are MORE than ready to "take the plunge!" You've thought this out well, have family support, the shots aren't as effective as they once were, your life style is changing,gradually, your other knee is overcompensating,,,,,
How many more "reasons" do you need? Go for it,Girl!!!!

Hi, MyLiberty....welcome to the forum!! It sounds to me like there is no doubt you need to do something at some point, but the question becomes WHEN....thus the dilemma of "elective" surgery. How bad do you want to be before making a change that will let you have a better quality of life? The longer you wait, the more of your vital years will pass you by. And possibly....the more your joints worsen, the longer your recovery might be once surgery is done. This is a decision that only you can make, though.

I understand your fear of the surgery and recovery time. No surgery is easy and knee replacement generally involves some pretty serious recovery time and work. But....consider how great the rewards are....pain free joints, increased mobility, no more centering your life around your pain and limitations. More than a few of our forum family have regained not only the movement of their new joints, but also a great feeling of strength and confidence from going through it and taking on an assertive role in their health and well being. This surgery can be life changing.

If you have a good doctor and the support of your family, you are a long way down that road to a new life. When you are ready, you'll have TONS of support from those here who have gone before you. I do not regret my knee replacement one bit! But before the surgery, I too had those doubts. That is just normal!

Please continue to post. Your new friends here will help you with any questions or concerns or will just be willing to listen to a rant or two when you need it.

Welcome!

This is indeed major surgery and each person must live with their decision of surgery or no surgery. I was about 35 when I was told that the previous surgeries (orthroscopic) for various injuries had done there good and the only thing left was BI-TKR but that I needed to wait as long as possible. I then did all sorts of rehab,synvisc etc. and waited ten years to decide. I am 3 months + post op and loving every minute of my new lease on life. my only regret was having to wait as long as I did. There were several things that occurred that made me decide on BI-TKR. i looked at the amount of pain medicine I was taking and realized it was not good for my long term health. My 5 year old was ready to learn to ride without training wheels and I could not help him. I looked at all of the activities I at one time enjoyed and had given up over the years bowling,cycling,shopping with my wife,anything that included walking, golf etc. I remembered at one time I had an off the wall sense of humor and the pain had zapped that. It took all of this coming at once fo mr to realize just what I had sacrificed over the years. I made an appointment and for the next week my knee pain went away(happens some time) but it came back and strengthened my resolve. At 5 weeks PS I gave my 5 year old son a piggyback ride at then sat down and cried for I realized that it was not only me who had suffered and sacrificed. I returned to work at 7weeks PS. It is so hard to describe just how life changing this surgery can be.

best of wishes!

Max

Max that is so sweet.
Myliberty
Welcome to the site from a hippy!! Everyone of the knee people have given such good info. One thing that I might add is there may be some things you do not even realize you are missing or have been taken away by the pain. I recently had throacic spine surgery. 'I for the last 5 years have decided I actually hate shopping. Never could figure out how I suddenly felt that way. (I do understand the grocery part) anyway as unfortunately my back still bothers me, I realzied that about 5 years ago is when the pain became more severe . But, all those years until last week when a lightbulb suddenly went off, I had no idea why.
I hope everyone has helped and yes we are here for you
Judy

What Oprah would call "an ah ha moment! ":)

Hi Crystal,
Isn't decision making tough, and its even tougher when its elective surgery, and an unknown and when you are on 40 something. I've got STUPID @$^34s$%# hip syndrome, and I am in exactly the same place as you....I question whether its "that" bad, I wonder "what if", I haven't got the time (or downtime), I'm scared of the rehab and pain, I worry about how the rest of the family will cope (after all as mother I am the captain and every thing runs smoother when I'm on deck)., I worry about the money, I look at the next 40 years and hope that technology will allow for a revision in 20 years time...after all we are young and have to consider our future....so it goes on

I am not in tremendous pain, but my lifestyle is affected, and I'm over it. I figure I could go on for another year or so, but to what advantage. Given that I might get 25 years out of this new joint (hopefully...hopefully more) , that takes me to my mid 60s, then have a revision and I'm right for an expected lifespan of 90 years, and in that time technology advances etc...so why wait?

I need to live NOW...after all I might get hit by a bus before I get to 60 and I have failed to seize the day. I have a journal that I've written in since I was a teenager, and one of my goals etc back then was to live life totally....to feel both pain and joy, good and bad, to love hard and grieve hard...a season for all things.
Is my hip stopping me from being Total?...yes
Is there a solution to this problem....THR ...will it allow me to get on with it? I hope so
Is it going to be tough? Yes, no doubt....but tough and hard work is part of being Total, just as allowing the family to wait on me as needed after the event is also being Total.
I think its important to allow other people opportunities to "do good" and this is one of those times!

Go well Crystal!
Rachel

Oh yes - 'seize the day" - very appro pro.

My Liberty, I just recently decided to get mine done after 3 years of on/off pain episodes. There was a time the offs outweighed the ons but that has gradually changed and I began to realise that my offs were only occurring because I was, in effect, contracting my life to make sure they happened! Came to the point where I wasn't prepared to do that anymore so I bit the bullet and will be surrendering myself to the inevitable in about 10 days.

I don't relish the recovery period either but ..... not everyone experiences it as hell on earth. I recently heard of an 80 yr old lady, very active and busy lady, had her tkr done and was shopping in the mall in 3 weeks with no cane! I choose to think that these people are in the majority and I intend to be one of them!

We shall see!

For me, I did not realize that for years I had increasing pain and was slowing down. Like many others, I gained weight. If I was standing and talking to people at work within 3-4 minutes I was looking for a place to sit--but I was still kind of oblivious to the pain I was in.

Finally, we took a trip to Italy with our two sons in their twenties. Venice is full of foot-bridges. By 3:00 p.m. each day keeping up with my active sons (well, not really keeping up very well) my knees were swollen to twice their size and I was in tears. This was on all the ibuprofen I could swallow!

It was only then I knew. Since my mom and sister had all their knees replaced, and I had seen their recoveries, I knew what to expect.

On my first visit to the OS in December, as the x-ray technician put my pictures up, she cheerfully smiled and said "Boy, those knees are nasty!"

OS was great did not push surgery, we tried all the injections first. By March I was scheduling my surgery--first knee done in April, second in October.

I agree with Rachel. I would rather be mobile now (in my fifties); I will worry about my 70s and 80s later :)

It has been nothing less than life-changing for me. I truly did not know how much pain I had been in until it was gone.

If you are not doing things you used to do or want to do, if you are in pain, gaining weight as a result of your inactivity, it is time. There are risks, but the very great majority of TKR patients are happy they did it.

Like many people I talk to, I can truly say I got my life back. (although I still probably will not get that pro-soccer contract back!)

I had problems starting in high school and had multiple surgeries. I was more than ready in my 40's but kept putting it off. Like everyone else you just don't realize how much pain you are in pain because you adapt. Well when I put the log cabin that I had been thinking about for 20 years and realized I was not able to enjoy it and had to hire people to do some of the things around the house I knew it was time. I had a BTKR in June and things are getting back to normal. I can't wait till spring and be able to walk around the woods and explore.

Simon

Thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement. I believe you are right that I already know the answer to my questions, but of course am doubting myself at the same time. I have made an appt to follow up with my doctor this Thursday and talk about next steps. I'm going to ask about the new Makoplasty procedure too. I would be so excited if I were a candidate for this. I will keep you posted.

Hey and welcome! I knew I was ready the night I sat at the end of my bed and cried because the arthritis pain was so bad. I couldn't walk and I was only 47. I figured that I would rather get it done and suffer though the pain because I would be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Rather than the pain getting worse and no end in sight.

Just as a matter of interest, liberty, how did you find out about the Makoplasty? Was it recommended to you by a surgeon or did you find it on the internet?

I've heard a bit about this procedure (and a couple of other similar ones) and there's very little data yet to show what the results are. Personally I wouldn't want anything done on me that didn't have at least five years' date behind it.

That's a wonderful point,Jo,,,How are you feeling today?
Gary!!!!! We love the sensitive types! You've come to the right place! Good luck!:)

Good news! I have a surgery date set for mid June (unfortunately work obligations get in the way of doing this any earlier). The plan is for a RTKR and LPKR.

At this point I believe I am truly ready to have this to be behind me. Especially after last nights' episodes of burning pain in the right knee.

As for the Makoplasty, it was something I had found during my research of MIS and robotic procedures on the internet. I did ask my doctor about it, and his opinion was that any benefit realized from this procedure did not justify the time and expense.

And I think he was spot on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks