When and where do you get your hip replacement "helps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutter

Does the hospitals send someone out before surgery or during or after with home equiptment adjustments, or am I responsible for that on my own, before surgery? Like bed risers, toilet risers, etc....

I wondered that also. At least in the US, it seems the hospital will provide you with a walker or crutches, and insurance pays for that. They may give you other odds-and-ends like a toilet riser or that big foam pillow between your legs. Most other stuff, you are on your own, but likely an "Occupational Therapy" person will show up to sell you things like grabbers, etc. but at a much higher price than you can find it elsewhere.

I bought a bunch of stuff before surgery, but never really needed much of it. I used a sock aid, a long shoehorn, and added grab bars in the shower, and toilet risers. And I use a cane now and then for longer walks. You probably want a toilet riser on several toilets if you have more than one. I used a grabber a bit, but I can pick things up off the floor by putting my surgery leg behind me. If I was 70 or very overweight, you might want more helpers.

Most likely the hospital will send you home with most of what you need, but your insurance coverage makes a difference. Ask at your surgeon's office or the hospital. My hospital offered a "hip class" that explained all of this. If you have a class available, take it! It did cost me $50.00 out of pocket, but it was well worth it. Some insurance will cover the classes.

The bed risers are your own expense. I also bought a shower chair, but never used it. We rented the toilet raiser (you buy the part that is used by you). Since we were redoing the downstairs bath which I would be using during recovery, we went ahead and bought a raised toilet (Koehler) which we ended up all liking so much we also put one in our upstairs bath when the time came to replace that one.

While in the hospital, an OT came to our room with a packet of goodies including a grabber, long shoe horn, long handled sponge, sock aid etc. and showed us how to use them. They also provided crutches. My insurance did cover all these expenses. Best thing is to check with your doctor's office however.

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla