What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way do I want my old knee back. This is so much better. When I went into work today someone said I was limping lots less than before the surgery. I told them that was the whole point, duh! I'm limping a lot now. Sitting here with my good friend, the ice pack, trying to relax so I can go to bed soon. I love my new knee. It's good to put things in perspective now and then.

Skeet

me too, ice packs, crying, staying up late (hey if not for the new knee I would have new friends like you to talk to at this time of the morning) what an experience but to think what it will be like for us next year at this time. I just can't wait. My granddaughter asked me today if after I have both of my new knees do I think I can teach her to double dutch. Now that's a goal. At 54 it has been too long since I have jumped rope.
I am going to buy the rope next week. It will be a long while for me yet, with the other knee not even in place yet, but I am going to look at that damn jump rope every day as a reminder of how much fun there is to be had by such simple things in life that these new knees will give us.

You bet! Get that rope and put it where you can see it and think of the joy you will have jumping rope with your granddaughter. You will get there-- I know you will!

I have a date with my "honey" in Mexico in June. We go there every summer for 2-3 weeks on the Yucatan peninsula to Mexico, Belize, Guatemala. Last year I really wiped out my knee and ended up in an emergency clinic on Cozumel, then spent the rest of the time on crutches.

THIS year we are going to actually get to make it to that snorkeling trip we missed on Cozumel and also go sailing and kayaking.

I don't know what I would have done these past weeks without him--- and can't wait to actually enjoy life together again when this is over. June is realistic--- don't you think?

Yes, by June you'll be doing the limbo!!

We've got a cruise booked for Dec. 3....My son is getting married on board ship. His fiance's mom is a travel agent and she's handled EVERYTHING......can't wait to get to Cozumel!

We'll need some pictures of your June respite!

by June I might even allow pix to be taken! I have also actually lost weight in this experience--- I was a little worried about getting back into my "school clothes" after 2 months in sweats---- no prob!

I recently found my annual "school picture" package they give teachers after we have our pix taken for the yearbook. These were taken in October when the pain from my knee and my back were just unbearable. You can see the pain written all over my face. I threw them away.

When I came back to school for a "visit" a while back, several people commented on my looking 10 years younger. Amazing what a new knee can do for a gal!

June is my goal too. My 55th birthday is June 11th, all I want to do is dance on my birthday. Beachcomber your goal sounds fabulous. I am sure you will be having so much fun that this will all be just a memory.

Won't that be a wonderful day for all of us---- when all of this is just a faded memory? Sometimes it is hard to believe that will ever happen, but I can already do some things I couldn't do 3 months ago I (we) will get through this
and do things like shopping at WalMart without having to calculate if we REALLY need both socks and cat food since they are so far away from each other? And dancing on our birthdays, and snorkeling the reefs with tropical fish and sea turtles, and jumping rope with grandchildren, and all the other activities we had written off as no longer a possibility due to our knees?

However, Patti, I can't see myself EVER doing the Limbo---- ouch! Some things are just not possible, even with God's grace! I'll just settle for lowering myself onto a lounge chair on the beach with an icy rum punch in my hand and that indescribable Caribbean blue sea as far as my eye can see.

You just made me giggle....I SOOOOOO know what you're talking about when it comes to Walmart......Do I sacrifice the toothpaste or the apples???...which can I get to with the least amount of steps. I can't wait to go CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!!!! next year. I've not done the all day, look at everything, go in a store for the heck ot if, shopping in years! This past year, since I was having surgery right after Christmas, I had my family pick up my gifts or ordered them off the internet (I love you, QVC!)

I also agree about the beach chair....I want to be a TAD bit graceful and not have to do my "stop, drop and roll" method from years past!!

LOL! It is a LOOOOOOOONG way down to those beach lounge chairs!

My main consolation was that there were always plenty of people there who looked even worse than me! (and of course many who were slim, tanned and gorgeous--- I just make it a practice not to LOOK at them!). I was on crutches with my leg in one of those full-length splints but still made it down to the beach and even into a catamaran a few times

Many of the Europeans are totally oblivious to how they look--- but some of those men REALLY need to get rid of the Speedos.....and then there were the 50-something women who choose the topless look. Gravity has not been kind to them-- but they didn't seem to care.

I actually saw someone last summer who had obviously had a TKR and she looked relaxed and happy to be there-- ugly scar and all. (and wearing a suit, thank goodness). Traipsing through the white sand and having a great time.
That will SOOOOO be me in June!

I don't know, I guess I'm on the other end of the playing field here. I also wonder what's the point. I exercise twice a day, the stiffness is horrible. When I had my "bad knee", yes I was in pain, alot of pain. But I was able to bend it. I was able to get on a motorcycle and ride. I was able to walk some distance even in pain. I was never this tired. Now lately I feel like my life has been robbed from me. I exercise, I ice, I push to bend it. But the stiffness is there after almost 3 months. I can no longer get on the motorcycle to ride, I can not walk any great distance because it just stiffens more. If this is the way it's going to be, then I KNOW I made the wrong decision. My doctor does not seem concerned, he says it will take time. But yet I talk to others who have had this done and they where up and about in no time. I don't know, I just don't know. I do know I want my old life back. This is not me. Sorry, I'm having a real rough time right now.

Lee is it possible for you to go and consult with another Dr.? I'm only 6.5 weeks post op and I think I'm doing pretty good with the knee. I am still stiff as can be but I seem to get better every few days.
Hang in there and hopefully nurse Josephene will have some words of wisdom for you.

Hi, I can relate also. First of all it depends on where they measure. If you are seated bending back, bending into the stairs, leg bending up against a wall, on your stomach and bending your knee with your foot up. I have been 115 up against the wall, 137 with the therapist leaning on my leg, and every concievable degree depending on my position.
I am not happy with whatever the real degree is and I keep at it although not as aggressively as I could. Some days I do more than others when I do nothing but just walk and go up and down my 3 flights of stairs. A hot bath really loosens things up as would a hot shower or steam shower.
I won't give up, but then you have adhesions that makes your situation different. I try to keep positive and you do too as do we all. I'm at 8 weeks and walk really well. Less discomfort but still stiffness and night discomfort. It's becoming less. But upsetting that I am not perfect. I have other arthritis problems which have added to this experience. My shoulder decided to act up before I had surgery. My back is killing me and I need a new diagnosis and treatment plan. The pain management I had isn't working. One of my fingers hurts and I added ankle strengthening exercises to my program. Sooo, when you start to think it's only you that has to fight the good fight, check in here. While I work on arthritis I still hae to worry about my figure and work the core, the abs, glutes, etc I have to have manicures and keep my hair looking good. I am worried about if I will ever wear high heels again or short skirts [ my knee is still big].
I get very depressed and then very optomistic. You'll be OK. Do what you gotta do whatever it takes......as if you had a choice. God Bless! Weezl

Lee, don't be discouraged. I have a friend in the UK who's first TKR took a good year before she felt comfortable. (It was what made her delay having her 2nd done), that one was however easier she says. Due to her Rheumatoid arthrits she has had since she was in her 30's she has had, 2 knee replacements, 2 shoulders, 2 hips and also suffered a mild stroke about 15 years ago. She is now 50 and is walking with just a cane most of the time.

Keep smiling and exercising!! (That is a bit of an oxymoron though I think?) Sue

Lee, I have been right where you were in your last post, I think we all have. I am blessed to say that I am not there today. I remember 'that place' and it was a terrible time. I will be praying for you. The people here are wonderful, inspiring guides that will help you to also get out of 'the pit'. It helps me to look at what I can do and try to forget about what I cannot do. I will hit the 10 week post-op mark this Thursday. This past weekend I went to my son's motor cycle race with the rest of the family. It was out in a pasture and woods, we had to walk a few hundred yards to get to the track. I carried my share of the chairs, through the field and we had to step across a small ditch to get where we wanted to be. My point is that I was able to do my part, didn't hold anyone back or have to be 'fussed' over. This morning I walked our dog, handled the stairs at the apartment without using the handrail, up or down. It will come, you will get 'your life back'. Don't get me wrong, it certainly wasn't an easy road for me to get here; you read some of my older posts, but for me the biggest 'step' was the attitude change. Ultimately, that is all we can control. This takes time and work and help, and it takes ALL three. Remember thi, when you are feeling down--look up. God bless.

HELP!!!!!

I have been reading all these posts and now my tummy feels like jelly.. and I am fighting back tears...

I dont really know where I am or if I am close to being better .. I know my leg if DEFINATELY not straight.. when should I expect that????

What should I be doing.. how long how often...

I feel completely panicked!!!!!

Blessings

I'm 8 weeks Post Op today. Mine isn't completely straight....OR, I should say, it isn't like my non-operative leg (which we've discussed is most likely a negative 2-4 degrees).

I have a close friend that had his over a year ago.....he said it will come in time.

Tex, everybody seems to have alot of the same issues plus one biggie. The biggies vary kinda person to person. Mine doesn't bend as far as I want it to, some folks have trouble getting theirs to go straight enough. Everybody here is really good at passing along tips and trying to help because WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE. There is a thread Tips for Straightening..., check it out. Don't panick and don't beat yourself up, that is MY area of expertise, it takes a while to get back to normal. Patti, God bless her, may never be normal but that's another matter. Are you doing out-patient therapy or working on your own? How far out are you?

Patti,
I think Gat just "fired one across your bow".

awww.featurepics.com_FI_Thumb_20060421_ce598ba6_a00c_4a4d_a2ee_ac84c2a2b44f.jpg

HMMMM....he looks pretty lazy...big ol' feet!..no wonder he had such a hard time in rehab......I THINK I can TAKE him~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties