What's happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wondered about elevating your hip too! I would think it means just elevating your leg up a bit? PR, hope you feel better tomorrow and have a better day.

Hi Everyone,

In the context that the phrase is used, to "Elevate" any part of the body simply means place it so that it is higher than the heart. This is important. If you raise your leg to elevate the knee, but the knee is still lower than the heart, it's too low. To elevate the hip, just lie down flat with your hips on a couple of pillows. (though I think I prefer the image of Judles suspended in a sling :)

For those interested, and to the best of my understanding, the 'higher than the heart rule is because: Swelling is often caused by an excess of Lymphatic or Interstitial fluid (ISF), sometimes as an inflammatory reponse. These fluids return to the blood system either through blood vessels or via the lymph system. Lymph fluid re-enters the blood system at the base of the neck, into the subclavian vein. What all this means is that the fluid (lymphatic or ISF) has to get back to the heart and for lymph fluid, which has a 'weak pumping system', elevation above the heart assists in the transport of the fluid.

Enjoy it all,

Nick

Haha, Nick! I'm sure my family would prefer the sight of Judles in a sling,too!!! LOL!! :)

But once the flow, either circulatory (blood) or lymphatic (interstitial fluid), is started by elevating the leg as in my image, Nick, it will take swelling in the hip with it. Raising the hips won't increase it enough to make any difference.

But once the flow, either circulatory (blood) or lymphatic (interstitial fluid), is started by elevating the leg as in my image, Nick, it will take swelling in the hip with it. Raising the hips won't increase it enough to make any difference.

Hi Jo,

I think that depends on where the swelling is. If it's only in the knee, then you must be right. But if it's in the pelvic area, or in both, then I think the hips should be elevated. Excess fluid in a more proximal area can block the flow from the distal region in a process known as a lymphatic dam. At least, that's my understanding.

:)

Nick

My PT thinks it is probably coming from my SI joint, from the awkward gait I had before surgery, my left and right sides aren't lined up evenly,

Hi Karen,

Is your PT treating the SI joint problem? That joint is fundamental to back and pelvic problems. It was largely ignored in the last century thanks to an incorrect understanding of its working. Modern imaging has shown its importance and it's making a welcome come back.

If s(he) is treating it, don't bother to read on, but if not, then . . .

There is a maneuver called an SI glide. Your PT may know it under a different name, so here's a very brief description so you can check with him/her. Patient lies flat on back, knees bent, 45%, feet flat to floor. PT has one hand on lower part of one knee, and one on upper (thigh side) part of the other. Patient tries to push one knee towards PT and tries to pull the other knee towards their own chest. PT resists. Movement of up to 4 inches is allowed, and pressure held for ten seconds, then the maneuver is repeated. If your PT knows this maneuver, it's often very successful in relieving pain. It MUST be finished with another different maneuver to re-balance any movement that may have happened in the pubic bone.

Enjoy it all,

Nick

Hi Nick, yes, my PT did work the SI joint. Two of them worked on me for an hour solid, and I can't be sure but I think they did that manuever. After the hour, I felt like I'd been twisted into a pretzel! I even had bruises in the pelvic area which must have been from the re-balancing. I was sore the next day, this was about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but in the last few days I've actually felt less pain. I can walk farther without it stopping me. But I've also amped up my exercising with my bike (real, not exercise) and the stair stepper. I have no pain bike riding, but sometimes I do with the stair stepper. I think the orthotics have helped, too, because my knee doesn't roll in when I walk as much as it did before. Thanks for all your advice -you are a wealth of knowledge!

Oldbones - my OS said a steroid injection would probably help me, too, for the SI joint, but I told him I wanted it fixed, not just the pain masked because I had it before surgery, too. So that's why I went the PT route. Hopefully we will all be pain free soon!!

Hi Jo,

I think that depends on where the swelling is. If it's only in the knee, then you must be right. But if it's in the pelvic area, or in both, then I think the hips should be elevated. Excess fluid in a more proximal area can block the flow from the distal region in a process known as a lymphatic dam. At least, that's my understanding.

Nick

Indeed. And I was talking about swelling in the hip. And it rather depends upon the degree of swelling as I've highlighted. Moderate swelling can be more than adequately dealt with as I described.

Indeed. And I was talking about swelling in the hip. And it rather depends upon the degree of swelling as I've highlighted. Moderate swelling can be more than adequately dealt with as I described.

Ooops, sorry Jo. Now I feel foolish, and deservedly so. I know we learn from our mistakes, but I still feel stupid when I make one (two in this instance)! Thanks for the correction.
Nick

Honey - absolutely no need for you to apologise! Have you forgot so quickly the day you got me on three booboos in one day? And they were a lot more obvious than that one! I love your posts as I often learn a lot from them.

ai42.tinypic.com_2nrkj9v.gif

Haha, Nick! I'm sure my family would prefer the sight of Judles in a sling,too!!! LOL!! :)

Good grief, y'all! My ending the post with that question was just my sense of humor starting to come 'round again after a really bad day--and you guys just RAN with it! LOL!! There's nothing like this bunch to coax a smile . . .

And Judles, among all the ensuing seriousness (some good stuff, BTW), the sling was the best! Which is quite fitting, since it was probably all your incredibly enthusiastic posts urging everyone to "ice and elevate!!!!!!!" that stuck in my head and made me ask this tongue-in-cheek question to begin with!

My update: Today I was able to do all my usual Saturday chores (housecleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, etc.). On my feet all day & felt OK, but it did catch up with me by early evening. Not the same progressively worse pain with every step, but definitely sharp groin pull, lower back ache and a dancing burn in outer upper thigh. (I swear, either my OS really beat the tar out of my lateral cutaneous nerve while he was in there, or I'm super ultra-sensitive!) SIGH!--this is all so variable & unpredictable! Maybe I'll be rid of all this by my hip's first anniversary--hope so!

PRGal....now you know the truth. You just can't leave a group of BoneSmarties for very long if they are unsupervised!!! They'll get crazy on you!

But glad you seem to be feeling better. I think you're going to have to be a little patient with your recovery. Listen to your body ALL the time like you obviously were doing today. It will tell you when you need to slow down a little and when you are able to push harder. And fear not.....you won't be having this go on forever! Honest!!! I like your words "variable" and "unpredictable".....welcome to LIFE, hon!!! (((HUGS)))) to you!!!

PR! Of course somone was going to call you out ! The sling? Kidding or not, it really WAS the topic of the day! I hope what you're having,,,is just plain fatigue! Your joints are just giving you a little reminder that they're there for you!
Today, we took our grandbabies to the Zoo! I walkes and walked and walked and.....felt wonderful the whole day! We ALL have our little hiccups as I call them (blips), and milestones! Let's look forward to many more milestones! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom