TKR What would you do?

Only you can decide what to do My doctor told me I'd know when it was time This last year was the worst for me I was walking with a cane and some days I couldn't walk at all I kept putting it off We are avid cruisers and I kept saying one more cruise So when all cruises were cancelled I decided to do it I had right knee done July 27 and left knee is scheduled for Nov 16 I was scared to death but I did it and now I'm doing it again But it is my choice I didn't let anyone influence me one way or another

what am I afraid of... I’m afraid of doing it too soon.
I know how hard this is for you, but your surgeon wouldn't be recommending a knee replacement if it was too soon, would he?

I must admit that I did go through the same sort of thoughts before my last TKR. My surgeon said my knee was ready for replacement, but it didn't hurt as much as I remembered my other knee hurting.
I did wonder if I was jumping the gun and going too soon,, but I went ahead with the surgery.

When my surgeon came to see me the day after surgery, I asked him if I'd had the surgery too soon and he told me that, in fact, when he accessed my knee during surgery it was in worse condition than he had anticipated and it would very soon have become much more painful.
That’s what I’d love to hear!

you know what else I’m afraid of? I’m afraid at a preop appt someone will say “hey, you’re not in enough pain to do this - why are you going through with this?!” because I know pre-gel it was much worse than it is now. My surgeon did say the next step is surgery, but he said he'd never tell me when to do it, so it wasn’t a “better do it ASAP” thing. I know, I’ve gotta be making you all crazy lol!

I’m afraid at a preop appt someone will say “hey, you’re not in enough pain to do this - why are you going through with this?!” because I know pre-gel it was much worse than it is now. My surgeon did say the next step is surgery,
If they say that, it's really none of their business. Since your surgeon said your knee needs to be replaced, that should be good enough for them.
Just tell them, "My surgeon says it needs to be replaced," and leave it at that.

@MariaB if you have a spare moment read my last post, I couldn't have attempted to do that 2 years ago, I had gel injections to my knee 4 years prior to surgery, it never got better, I missed exciting hikes and fun times with my family, when in reality I could have had the surgery earlier, life is to short to not enjoy it. I followed the good advice offered here on BoneSmart, it was tough at first, but with time, patience and positivity I got there, yesterday I felt enormous pride and thankful that I didn't cancel my surgery...So stop worrying and get your LIFE back xxx :flwrysmile:

Ok, I have mypreop physical in the morning - I’m letting things go forward. (Even though I had a dream that I had surgery and they made a mistake and just removed the last bit of my meniscus lol).

I asked in a fb tkr group and got discouraging answers - I was really hoping to be able to squat down again after the tkr - am I really delusional??? Like catcher style. I NEED to reach the refried beans on the bottom shelf at Trader Joe’s - without asking for help, or laying on the floor. I’m serious.

You'llprobably be able to squat, but not straight away. This recovery does take a long time.

Like you I went through 7 times of gel injections in 5 years. I was jogging a few days before surgery kind of. I had postponed twice as well and had all the same thoughts as you! I kept thinking it isn't that bad should I do it? I did and I already know that there was more pain than I realized. It has been almost 4 weeks and I am already realizing that my knee is better. yes it hurts but it is not the arthritis hurt. Just know this, It is managing the swelling and especially in the first few weeks pay attention to what folks here are saying. It helps alot !

I NEED to reach the refried beans on the bottom shelf at Trader Joe’s - without asking for help
You will be able to do all that and more. It just takes time! Your world will expand once you get rid of this damaged knee.

Ok you guys... every things getting lined up... my work is covered, I ordered a nice incline pillow, pt is set up, just have a final pre-op and covid testing. I took a light hike (nature walk with some covid schooled gradeschoolers) and my knee was "ok". Of course there's some pain, but nothing crazy. I have moments of the pain i had before the synvisc back in august, but otherwise its not too crazy. The synvisc has given me some relief, just not total. This time of year is the best to do something like this... I dont know - im just so scared of the post op pain making me totally regret it. I WANT the crazy pain to come back, so i can go into surgery determined to get relief... I do want relief now, but i want to be gritting my teeth cause it hurts so bad - ykwim?? Im afraid that if i wait for this to wear off, what if the next round doesnt work and i have to wait until the next november... I just wish this gel would either give me total relief or none at all! Sometimes i feel very foolish for facing this surgery when its not killing me. Then i think of cinderellas carriage - that right after i cancel the surgery itll start reverting to a pumpkin again.
Can someone please give me a pep talk lol??

You've got a date and it's not far away.

Knees can be surprisingly sneaky nd if you cancel your surgery, your knee is almost certain to start hurting again as soon as you've postponed.

This is last-minute nerves, making you unsure again. Try to keep busy and ignore all those doubts. You need the surgery.

No matter how bad your knee is how it feels etc. there is always somebody worse off then you. That would be me. I can assure you maybe your worried about squatting kneeling etc. it can be done but it will take time. After the surgery the last thing going thru your mind is moving it or thinking about PT. I am getting ready to have 7th TKR done end of Dec. this will make #20 for total surgeries to my knee. Hate to use this expression but been there done that, way too many times. You will be fine.

No matter how bad your knee is how it feels etc. there is always somebody worse off then you. That would be me. I can assure you maybe your worried about squatting kneeling etc. it can be done but it will take time. After the surgery the last thing going thru your mind is moving it or thinking about PT. I am getting ready to have 7th TKR done end of Dec. this will make #20 for total surgeries to my knee. Hate to use this expression but been there done that, way too many times. You will be fine.
That's crazy horrible!!! I didnt even think that was possible - you poor thing!!

I think that back and forth is pretty common.... I think you are smart to get it done. It’s surprising how fast things can decline-and if you did wait - you could end up missing out on so much- on life- and I think it’s harder to get muscles prepared for surgery like that. I guess I will find out- with mine.
I look at it like-time is gonna pass wether you do it or not-and doing it now means you will recover sooner. I think that will be much better then waiting-and risking more pain and loss of mobility- the end result either way is getting it done.
but- I get it. I can say it all and it makes sense but I still question myself too. You got this!!!!

I think that back and forth is pretty common.... I think you are smart to get it done. It’s surprising how fast things can decline-and if you did wait - you could end up missing out on so much- on life- and I think it’s harder to get muscles prepared for surgery like that. I guess I will find out- with mine.
I look at it like-time is gonna pass wether you do it or not-and doing it now means you will recover sooner. I think that will be much better then waiting-and risking more pain and loss of mobility- the end result either way is getting it done.
but- I get it. I can say it all and it makes sense but I still question myself too. You got this!!!!
So you're a month after mine! Itd be nice just to fast forward a few months right now ☺️

I have just joined this site and can identify with everything you're mulling over. The difference is, I am scared of something going wrong as my husband is disabled and like you, I can cope at the moment.
I will watch your progress with interest.

Good luck

@MariaB I went back and forth forever. I'm now 6 and a half weeks post-op on the second knee (3 months between) and walking comfortably for 2 miles without that crazy rolling gait. Like you, I could walk and had lots of times when it didn't hurt so much. And times when it did hurt quite a bit. My knees were bone on bone and each year I could do less. Though I still have more healing to do, I can tell this was worth it and from this side I have no doubts. Everyone is different but you can ask my husband and friends how much I second guessed myself. It was driving them nuts, I'm sure.

Your fitness and grit will get you through this.

Thanks everyone! It is crazy. Im back to being good with it. My hip is killing me. I did 5 minutes on our rowing machine - supposed to be good on knees. An expensive one too. Just 5 minutes. Was great for my glutes, but it also flared up my knees. Yay lol. This is not a normal way to live!

Hi @MariaB

I was just the same as you, another cortisone injection, more weight loss, more painkillers and the thought of being too young at 53.

My surgeon said I have the knees of a 90 year old !

I was terrified but knew life was passing me by, so I had both replaced and even at 7 weeks post op I am achieving movement I haven't had in years.

Your body, your decision of course but I thought I would send my thoughts.

Kind wishes

@MariaB -if you don’t mind my asking- when is your preop and covid test? I hope you are keeping yourself at least somewhat distracted in this week and a half run up to surgery.... thinking of you.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks