What would you do different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Polar Care machine is great. I would spring for it.

When I get the next knee done I will know what I need for pain relief and will be adamant about getting what I need. I will also know that just stool softeners are not enough to get things going for the first time after surgery, so I will ask for something stronger in the hospital. Other than that, I was pleased with my surgeon, my hospital, my PT, and the rest.

Rats! Mine hasn't got a pump! is gravity fed! called a Cryo-cuff. Will still be better than nothing I suppose.

DON'T DESPAIR! Cryo-cuff makes a pump that works with them--I got one from e-bay a couple months ago (one of the things I discovered AFTER my last surgery and wanted for the next one). It is like a little fish tank pump, but it has a funky valve that makes it different and makes it work. Most Cryos don't come with a pump, but even the cuff/water system itself is better than ice packs!

I would get one of the machines that pumps cold water through a wrap surrounding your knee joint. That would beat ice packs hands down.

Oh yes! That was my big discovery at the physical therapist's office. I started watching e-bay last fall and got a Cryo-Cuff WITH pump. Ice packs are for the birds and I can get on the exercise bike with the cryo cuff on and do more movement with less pain. I'm pretty sure the better cooling treatment will help with swelling and pain.

My first knee was the worst of the two and I had a really bad recovery. I went into the second replacement thinking it would be just as bad and it actually was so much easier that I had to keep pinching myself. Hopefully your second will also be easier. Karen

I'm hoping this one will follow your pattern--pain control last time just sucked and the surgeon's most common response was "it shouldn't be hurting that bad--try more ice." HE needs to have a knee replaced!

SO the big difference this time is a different surgeon/different hospital/WAY different pain protocol! Standard protocol for this surgeon/hospital is a femoral nerve block for the first couple days/nights until the worst is over. They believe in getting good sleep right away! Wow! Last time I spent the first two days/nights shaking and crying because they took my IV out the first evening and pills just weren't enough. Thought my leg was being burned off on both ends.

I also discovered the Cryo-Cuff magic and now have one with a pump (I got my first one towards the end of my last recovery period).

My "new" knee is in much better shape than my un-replaced knee was last time--that should make a big difference.

I sure hope that all adds up to a better recovery this time!

Go, girl!!! We need you well taken care of!!!!

Thanks Jamie! Fortunately, my dear hubby and step-son do a fabulous job of taking care of me once I'm home, and I'm changing surgeons/hospitals so that should take care of the over-the-top pain problem last time.

I would have got it done sooner.

Ain't that the truth??!!!! Now I'm kind've wishing I'd had the courage to do both last April...but at least I didn't have to put off the second one very long. Pretty much just waited until I could work my work situation around--sick leave from now until June 15!

I got one finally! From Ebay and I also found a firm in UK that specializes in electrical converters and stuff. So I have a pump and a converter to get and the sellers of the gravity feed one have agreed to take it back for a full refund! Phew! Thanks for the info everyone.

So what I would do different another time is to ask on here before buying things 'blind'!

Hi all....I'm scheduled for my second TKR on January 29, and was wondering: What would you do differently the second time around, knowing what you know now?

Weezy

Your op is a week tomorrow,Weezy - all packed up and ready to go?

I got one finally! From Ebay and I also found a firm in UK that specializes in electrical converters and stuff. So I have a pump and a converter to get and the sellers of the gravity feed one have agreed to take it back for a full refund! Phew! Thanks for the info everyone.

So what I would do different another time is to ask on here before buying things 'blind'!

Wow, Jo....it's so cool for us to be able to help YOU for a change! You do so much for us, that feels good.

For the first couple weeks I would take my pain pills on time and not let the pain get ahead of me.

I'd also try to figure out a way to not hurt my back by being in bed and icing all the time.

Hollie

Indeed! Pain has a way of travelling all over, doesn't it? Right now I have been woken up by hip and back pain from not being able to move around so much today.

What a terrific question! I was hoping I could help someone by giving my opinion on what I would do differently when I have my 2nd knee replaced...something a few years away hopefully. First...I would, as many other said, take better control of the pain management. I was ignored and left with empty and expired Rx from staff members too busy to return my calls for refills. I would not be as vigorous with the automatic flexing machine, as I really feel it stressed my incision to the point where it is and always will be wider and uglier than it should be. I've read that the flexing results do not differ that much from those who use the machine and those who don't. It just makes people feel like they are doing something. I'm not saying you should not get into PT as soon as possible. I'm just saying I think I overdid it on the machine too early. Finally, I would definately do it again. The overall pain relief is so great, it is worth the hassle to get it done. I don't thing replacements will ever be as strong or as flexible as real knees, but my quality of life is already so much better after just doing one. Hope that helps someone.

Funny you should say that about your scar, NLK - I was looking at my sister's scars the other day. The first one, now 4 years old, seemed to be permanently broad and dark brown. I though it was almost keloid. But now it's barely visible. In fact, you have to really look to see it and the other one at 2 years old looks just the same. I was staggered!

So don't give up hope yet.

NLK, My OS doesn't believe in CPM machines and I never used one through two replacements. I had no desire to be hooked up for hours to a contraption that manually moved my leg so I was very happy. My ROM turned out just fine.

I would have to say my scar is rather average in width and will end up being barely noticeable like all my other scars. I'm not sure it would look any different if I had used a CPM. Karen

Your op is a week tomorrow,Weezy - all packed up and ready to go?

AAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO...... The house is still a mess, I want to finish sewing a hoodie for Christian (step-son)--its black polar fleece with silver skull trim... and I'm still trying to finish up a few clients before I shut down DocWeezy for a month.

And its funny how nervous I am. That kind've surprises me, but I'm every bit as nervous this time as I was last time.

:0

Weezy

Okay, Weezy.....breathe....just breathe.....

Everything is going to be just fine. What doesn't get done will be fine and waiting for you when you feel better.

But...it is a smart idea to keep yourself busy until the surgery....keeps your mind occupied!!! Can't wait until you're on the other side of this one!!!

Okay, Weezy.....breathe....just breathe.....

Everything is going to be just fine. What doesn't get done will be fine and waiting for you when you feel better.

But...it is a smart idea to keep yourself busy until the surgery....keeps your mind occupied!!! Can't wait until you're on the other side of this one!!!

Yeah...you're right...especially about wanting to be on the other side of this one! I think the worst part is that I'm trying to finish up work for my "client from H*LL" she's pretty awful and her writing is even worse and I just want to be DONE with her dissertation! Hopefully I'll be done with her by the end of today.

Weezy

Hi everyone.
I am a new member and just want to thank you all for this great information. This will be my first LTKR and I am very afraid.
My operation date is Feb 6th - I only had three weeks notice and all of a sudden it has hit home.
I am in so much pain now it is hard to imagine it being worse after surgery and that scares me. I'm already on strong pain meds. My husband and I are fairly new to this area (northern Ontario) and all my family is 14 hours away.
The information on this site and more specifically this thread has both scared and encouraged me.
My nerves are a wreck and I cry very easily - I sure hope that's normal.
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest - sorry - I guess I got a little off topic.

Jo,,,,,,its truly amazing what makes us happy!!!! Glad you found what you were looking for BEFORE things started to explode! There is certainly enough stress to deal without worrying about THAT! Now try to relax as much as you can!

Jo,,,,,,its truly amazing what makes us happy!!!! Glad you found what you were looking for BEFORE things started to explode! There is certainly enough stress to deal without worrying about THAT! Now try to relax as much as you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member