THR What were your pre-op symptoms?

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
@Jamie
My lower back was where 90% of my pain was pre-op.
So much so, almost 2 years went by with myself and the doctors concentrating on my back and the hips were my problem.
I hope this is the case with you too.
Sleep and sitting/rest became miserable, not so much walking....

Country
Well I guess no matter how much you read and prepare you just have doubts and I believe that's quite normal.
I fell on the ice and felt that I did break something, went to Urgent Care, did X-Rays and they said nothing broken. I was sore but went on with my days even going to work and then went on vacation. Could barely walk through airport I was in such pain. Four days after arriving to vacation hip just let go, couldn't walk, didn't really know hip let go but went to on island clinic and doctor said your hip is fractured and you need surgery right away.
Looking back I should have followed up right here with my own doctor when the pain didn't go away and I was limping, but hindsight is 20/20. I only retell this because what you are describing presently sounds similar to what was presenting to me for 10 days prior to travel.
Good luck with the surgery and try and take it slow so things don't get worse.
All my best.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
I think I am an outlier. My back pain is an issue unto itself having to do with OA in spine, and an S-I joint that's got some malfunction or other (not seriously looked into yet, but had some nice PT for it in the first hip's "pre-hab" sessions), and continues to refer pain down the whole leg and up the back exactly as it did pre-new-hips. But I'm darned if I'm going to lie around and "rest" on its account. Mostly, being active seems a good therapy; sitting a poor one. Weather changes are strong pain triggers but there is nothing I can do about that!

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
I'm very hopeful about back improvements after the THR. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I know I do have arthritis in my spine and some spinal curvature that was never treated as a child. I've also been told I have ankylosing spondylitis, but it's never been bad enough to need treatment. So, the back pain I experience could still be there. But I'm still keeping the faith!

CricketHip

Staff member since June 5, 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Yes, I too, have a host of back issues. I still have back issues but getting healthy hips has definitely lessened the issues. I take much less medication for the back, I am more limber, which helps immensely.
I think you will find this to be true for you, too. :flwrysmile:

Zoebichon

Country
My journey to bilateral hip replacement surgery was a long, slow process. I worked In a large hospital with endless hallways, which are basically linoleum over cement. I began experiencing hip pain by my late 49’s. An appointment with an OS showed mild OA in both hips and I was told I would be looking at THR within 5 to 10 years. Although it was stressed that no one could know how slowly or quickly the OA would progress.

Around 9 years later, I returned to the same OS group where X-rays confirmed moderate OA with bilateral osteophytes formation. I was sent to PT for 3 visits where I was given progressively more difficult hip exercises.

I kept up my daily 4+ mile hilly walks and did my hip exercises religiously M-W and Friday for 7 years, adding weights, holds, and repetitions. I could do 40 single leg bridges with 3 second holds on each leg.

But finally, after each walk or hike, I just couldn’t really move anymore. Lying flat on my back for much of the rest of the day. Trying not to rotate my hips even slightly. Getting out of a kitchen chair would take many seconds as I worked to unlock a frozen hip. Swiveling at the kitchen counter after standing chopping food would cause great pain.

So at age 64 I returned to the same OS group where X-rays demonstrated severe OA and the dr said I needed bilateral hip replacement surgery.

Due to Covid and elective surgeries being postponed, I had 6 month wait which gave me ample time to read here and prepare. By this time I had given up my beloved line dancing, which caused me great hip pains, my hiking club and my daily walks. I tried my 4+ hilly walk the day before surgery just so make sure I really did need surgery. I hobbled painfully through it and spent the rest of the day on the couch!

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@Zoebichon ... I'm so glad you got both hips done at once so you could begin to regain some of those lost activities.

I also decided to see what a day without Aleve or Tylenol would be like. It wasn't good, although today is a bit better. But I've not been outside working in the yard much today, so I'm sure that's the reason.

I can just "feel" things grinding in my hip joint and it's difficult to completely straighten the leg so I can stand upright. I think this has been a problem for a long time. I'm slowly, ever slowly getting used to the idea that I really do need this hip replaced and that things could be very much improved once it's done.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Jamie don't you dare talk yourself out of it after all these years of encouraging all the rest of us!!!

I don't really think I ever felt a grinding, but the hips sure hurt! That pre-op little period with no ibuprofen was so awful. It just occurred to me-- while I know things were hurting, I cannot bring that particular pain into my "body memory", and I really wonder if all the amnesiac meds I was given (with the GA "so I'd be like a rag doll for the OS") affected more than just the op period itself, and also took away memories from before! Age and the passing of time cannot account for everything I'ce forgotten, right?

All that to say-- how much do you remember of pre-op knee pain? If you don't recall, no wonder your brain is saying hey, maybe we don't need this yet..?..!?

What I do remember is how eager I was to get a hernia repair over with (and the hernia itself wasn't even painful!, only queasy-making) because I did remember how much better my hips were immediately.
You go girl, and keep your eyes on the prize!! :old::flwrysmile:
edit for formatting

PolarIce

Staff member since January 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Canada Canada
Doubting the decision is totally normal. When you finally realize you’ve had enough, then it’s time to get it done. Super happy for you, because making that decision and second guessing it is very stressful for sure.
The great thing is that YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!! The recovery will be sooo worth it, and you will get everything back plus more. So so excited for you!!

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
It's starting to get more "real" now. The doctor's office and his therapist have called several times and I've been attending a host of pre-op doctor and lab appointments. So far, everything is a "go."

I was surprised to learn that I will be 50% weight bearing for a couple of weeks after I get home. I didn't expect that. But no bending restrictions....only a ban on moving my leg out to the side for a while.

I decided to stop taking my Aleve and have mostly been okay with that. I do get bouts if I'm working out in the yard or if I turn "funny" on that leg where it hurts for a day or so. I figured I needed to know the reality of how my hip really is. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and think I'm going to be really surprised at how much better I do with this hip fixed. It seems to be affecting how I walk (lots slower and more carefully) as well as hurting at night when I'm trying to sleep. The main way I can get comfortable is to lie on the side of my bad hip or put a pillow between my legs if I'm on the other side. I use heat on my lower back and hips all night long and that helps too.

I'm ready for this to be over and done with so I can move on.....

Boofit

senior
Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
I'm very hopeful about back improvements after the THR. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I had back pain and fairly bad sciatica down my left leg before my THR. The numbness and pins and needles sensation used to travel from my foot right up to mid thigh during the last 12 months before my surgery (previously I only had tingling sensations in my left foot and ankle region). And my leg would suddenly go weak at the knee causing imbalance whilst walking.

I had MRIs done of my spine and these revealed stenosis and narrowing of the foramen. One orthopaedic surgeon suggested surgery of the spine before my THR but I refused. My THR surgeon Prof Kevin Ho told me that after my THR, my back pain might disappear. So like you, I decided to wait and see.

I am happy to report that after my THR, my back pain has gone, and I only have mild tingling sensation at my lower leg and foot region from time to time.

I was surprised to learn that I will be 50% weight bearing for a couple of weeks after I get home. I didn't expect that. But no bending restrictions....only a ban on moving my leg out to the side for a while.
Did your surgeon explain why you would be partial weight bearing for a couple of weeks? That said, although my OS said I could do full weight bearing immediately, the condition of my hip did not allow that (I don't think it was stable enough, with cut muscles, weak joint capsule etc), and I actually was not doing full weight bearing for a few weeks post-op! So maybe your surgeon is simply stating what you would likely be able to do in the first couple of weeks?
Are you having the anterior approach? Did the surgeon say whether and what muscles will be cut?

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was surprised to learn that I will be 50% weight bearing for a couple of weeks after I get home.
Hmmm... did they say why? I guess you can tolerate a couple of weeks. Not long now!

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
The therapist didn’t known why. I’ll have to ask the surgeon when I go in for the procedure. I’m curious, though, and think that might be a little hard to do with a walker.

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
maybe your surgeon is simply stating what you would likely be able to do in the first couple of weeks?
Are you having the anterior approach? Did the surgeon say whether and what muscles will be cut?
I'm having a lateral approach so there will be some muscles cut (the abductor muscles).

Boofit

senior
Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
I'm having a lateral approach so there will be some muscles cut (the abductor muscles).
I too had a lateral approach and my surgeon told me my abductor muscles were cut.

Apart from the "Figure of 4" movement (Abduction, lateral rotation and flexion) I was told I had no other restriction. However, out of an abundance of caution, I personally decided to adhere to the 90 degrees flexion restriction. (In fact, in my 6 week post-op appointment, another orthopaedic surgeon told me he would generally advise not going beyond the 90 degree flexion for the first 3 months, even for lateral approaches).

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery Jamie!

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
The therapist didn’t known why. I’ll have to ask the surgeon when I go in for the procedure.
Be sure and ask the surgeon. Therapists and nurses often pass on old information just out of habit.

I had lateral for my RTHR and it was SO much easier to deal with. No restrictions and no back sleeping. I did adhere to the 90 degree rule just because my new hip didn't want to move in that direction.

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Best wishes for your upcoming surgery Jamie!
Thanks so much! It's getting really close now.

Be sure and ask the surgeon. Therapists and nurses often pass on old information just out of habit.
I will, Jacey...thanks. I'm thinking this may be the problem and hopefully I will be able to weight bear from day one with my new hip. Gee, it sounds so funny to say that!!! Somehow the words "me" and "new hip" don't seem possible.

Ktululady

Country
For me, it was intermittent groin pain, hip pain and back pain, I unknowingly attributed my back pain to my back, not my hip. I did not resort to using an assistive device pre-op, because I didn’t need one. I took OTC meds on occasion only, because I don’t like them. As my surgery neared, I also experienced pain in the front of my thigh extending down to my knee. The biggest thing for me was the realization my world was shrinking. I was circling the parking lot, looking for the closest place to the door, declining invitations based on steps I may need to climb, or distances I may need to walk. I was leaning heavily on my shopping cart while at the store for support and less stress on my hip. I couldn’t even leisurely shop, it became In & Out, necessities only. No leisurely shopping…that’s where I draw the line!!! :heehee: In reality, it was time, there were a lot of silent tears, anxiety and all of the emotional stuff that most of us need to work through before scheduling surgery.
You just described how I was before I had my right hip surgery. It was 14 weeks ago and it feels great now, just working on building the muscles again. I saw my surgeon a couple of weeks ago and he said I will get my left hip done within 5 months.

I was worried about the first one, and wondering if I really needed it etc. but I didn't want to be like my grandmother. She was walking everywhere, then something suddenly happened to her hip and she couldn't walk at all. So I didn't want to leave it too late like she did. Not looking forward to the post-op pain, but I can't wait to have my left one done now.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Jamie , I keep thinking of you as the date grows closer! I'm also curious about the partial weight bearing, and can see how that might be a tad dangerous with just a walker. It might tip over and land you suddenly on the floor, not a good thing! If you get crutches, there are certainly crutch experts on here for you!!or, you know, you could just hop everywhere for a couple of weeks...:snork:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanadianLiz
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom