What were the pre-op steps before your TKR?

ApricotPie

Country
United States United States
No doubt I will have to get some things done to get ready for the surgery. I imagine they want a recent physical, but what else will they need? How long was it between the time you told your doctor you wanted the TKR and you had it done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My surgeon and I decided the first week of December to go ahead with the surgery. I have an HMO so I had to do pre-surgery lab work (blood and urine), chest x-ray and an EKG. I had them done in a couple of days. I received my surgery date within a week of that. Total wait from the decision to the surgery is about 37 days. I'm certain part of it was the fact that I had tried everything else so the HMO approved the surgery the day after the doctor turned in the request.

CAdesgirl pretty much covered what you will need to do pre op to get ready for surgery. If you have other medical conditions or concerns there may be more testing.
I had a steroid injection and had to wait, 3 months later I had my TKR.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I had to have a pre-op physical, blood work and ekg. They wanted these fairly close the the surgery.

I had ekg, bloodwork, chest xray. From the time I said yes to surgery was 6 weeks.

My OS requires the pre-op tests to be within 4 weeks of surgery. They perform their own pre-op testing in house (teaching hospital) and do it in a single 3-4 hour visit in one day.

Quad exercises...if you have time and you are able strengthen quad muscles before surgery. I'm 9 weeks post op... the week of surgery I didnt have the quad strength to lift my leg into bed. I now bike 1.5 miles in 10 minutes, leg press 125 lbs, hamstring curl 50 lbs, can walk about 1 mile per day, do squats. I've resumed all household chores, including laundry and dinner, go grocery shopping including went xmas shopping...discontinued pain meds at 2 weeks and take ibuprofen for swelling. Moderate swelling but doctor said it's normal. Started work from home 2 weeks post surgery, back in office 8 weeks post surgery. No pain, only symptoms are moderate swelling and some stiffness....I attribute my progress to the quad exercises that I did for a month prior to surgery...I continue to do exercises at home, ice and elevation and I'm finishing PT 2x per week...Extension is 0 degrees Flex is 120 degrees.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back