• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

What Type of Stationary Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpy7

Can some of you share with me the type of stationary bike you like to use? We had a top of the line stationary bike that you sat upright on, and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever. It's no longer a part of our family! I think I would much prefer a recumbent bike. They look much more comfortable. I know I would have to try one to find out for myself. Also, I don't care if I have any bells or whistles. I guess I just want something cheap, comfy and that doesn't take up a huge amount of space. Ideas, brands...?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Recumbent bikes are supposed to be a little easier on your back. I purchases mine at Sears because I wanted to test drive them first. I think you probably can get an inexpensive one on the internet or you can shop sales in the stores that carry this type of equipment. Just make sure it works smoothly. I also liked that mine had a readout to let me know how I was doing as well as my pulse rate. It's a Schwinn. I like it, but it is a bit bulky. Because of the way they're made, recumbents will take up more floor space than an upright.

Mountain Kat

senior
Country
I got my recumbent at Sears also. Things we were looking for while shopping was one you can "walk through" to make it easier to get on with a bad knee and one that the pedals didn't keep going around if you stopped pushing. They don't all do that and if my knee gave me problems, I didn't want the pedal to push/pull on it. I hope I am making that clear, I'm sure there is a term for that, but I can't think of it! :DOH: Mine is made by Diamondback.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
There's an article in the Library about this here

referee54

omega
Country
I bought a 'bent stationary bike from Dick's---they had an after-Christmas sale and I got a very good one for a great price. Sears has nice ones, and if there is an exercise shop around you, you can look into the ones that they sell, too.

jerseychick

post-grad
I also purchased a recumbent bike from Sears and use it only occasionally. I have my hybrid bike on a trainer which is what I use all the time. It's very comfy and I get a great workout.

kmgraxy

senior
Country
I purchased an inexpensive recumbent bike at Walmart and it has served me well. I felt safer on a recumbent after the knee replacement.

Recycled

senior
Country
I got me a simple set of pedals you set on the floor and sit in a chair. Cost 20 bucks. Once I could make revolutions with that, I just rode a regular bicycle. Now I have bought a recumbent bicycle (seen in my Avatar) and ride that often. Very comfortable.

Attachments

zjrog

post-grad
Country
I used my bike on a trainer last winter too. Will be using it again this year.

kneesrus

Sr Bonesmartie
The basic rule: Is is comfortable. We use schwinn aerodynes in the clinic because they are made to last. I upgraded the seats to more comfortable. If it is not comfortable, you won't use it.
Shop, shop and shop.
David

referee54

omega
Country
The basic rule: Is is comfortable. We use schwinn aerodynes in the clinic because they are made to last. I upgraded the seats to more comfortable. If it is not comfortable, you won't use it.
Shop, shop and shop.
David
Awe, the good ol' Schwinn Aerodyne---the MB-70 main battle tank of the stationary bikes---and built to take a beating.

carousel66

graduate
I think best advice I got was from my PT - he said go TRY them see what is most comfortable for you. Everyone is different.
I hated how my knee felt on a recumbent bike, I had a habit of "Pulling" on part of the rotation that I do not do on an upright bike. I didn't like it at all the few times I have used a recumbent at PT (when other bikes were being used I didn't like it at all) EVERYONE is different.
to top that off, I have a MAJOR space issue so it worked out great for me that an upright bike best met my "physical" needs as well as space needs!
my PT told me to try many of them before I purchase one, ride them see how I felt and pick the one that was the SMOOTHEST that best met my budget needs.

paige

Good advice from everybody. It will help me too since I'm now looking for a bike. I was finally able to rotate the PT bike both forward and backward after being scoped and manipulated 2 wks ago. I was absolutely elated!

referee54

omega
Country
Good advice from everybody. It will help me too since I'm now looking for a bike. I was finally able to rotate the PT bike both forward and backward after being scoped and manipulated 2 wks ago. I was absolutely elated!
Congratulations! Reward yourself---you deserve it! These seemingly minor victories are actually huge steps forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom