What TYPE of Hip Do You Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheila, I'm sorry you heard a second-hand story like that. What you're describing doesn't make any sense to me. You know how it is when a story gets repeated....facts morph into something completely different. Please don't let this alarm you. And, if I were you, I'd steer clear of someone who would repeat such a story to you knowing that you are having surgery soon. That person is no friend!

I think that's a very wise move. And don't lose a single moment of sleep over that story. If there is any truth at all to what he told you, it got way messed up in the translation and retelling.

Sheila,,,,THR is the best surgery going!. People who have no knowledge whould never give info they have no clue about! ;amie's right! That person is no "friend!!! ". :)

Another voice that says this story got mangled in translation somehow.

These implants tend to become MORE stable with walking. That's how they're designed and that's a good part of the reason for early weight-bearing.

Take a look at the picture of Scott's implant and you'll see the wedge (actually taper is the term) shape of the stem. As you bear weight the thing gets wedged tighter and tighter becoming more and more secure - not less. This wouldn't be the case with particular fractures, particular bone diseases, etc. But for the vast majority of us, walking makes this better, not worse.

I'm going for a walk. . .

That's good to hear UTdave. Then i shouldn't be scared to stand on it the day after surgery. My bone density showed excellent results +.9 or something like that the the Dr said it was very good bone results at my age. I go for my physical soon and that will make me feel better knowning I passed and I am good to go for surgery. All this stuff to do is mind blowing.

Mud, you're not disagreeing with me at all. The topic under discussion in this thread was various prostheses not the various surgeries. In the end, when you went to your HR surgeon, I imagine you accepted the prosthesis he was most accustomed to using, no?

The first surgeon only did THR and only used one manufacturer. When I got the two (2) second opinions after I researched about the resurfacing option, I sought out surgeons who did both THR and resurfacing so the choice between the two types of replacements would be based upon what would be a better solution for my specific conditions; but with a doctor who performed a wider range of options.

doctors are a bit like craftsmen. They like to use materials they are familiar with and have given them good results in the past. But sometimes there are developments in any industry that skilled craftsmen may be either unaware of, or reluctant to break away from what they know works. The ultimate decision lies in the hands of the surgeon we select, but I think we need to be smart consumers and explore all options and ask multiple surgeons why their choice is best. I am a little reluctant about the one size (type) fits all idea.

That's for sure, Mud! One size will NEVER fit all! How are you feeling now? :)

I think you are EXACTLY right, Mud.

Hello Everyone, I heard last night at the gym swimming that this person knows someone whom had this done and did to much walking soon after and now they had to take it out and wait a full year before they can replace the missing hip. Yikes that is scary.
Sheila
This makes no sense to me at all. Some people like to scaremonger in an effort to make themselves look/sound knowledgable. I think this is such a case!

Take a look at the picture of Scott's implant and you'll see the wedge (actually taper is the term) shape of the stem.
What is known in all prostheses as the "Taper Fit" design.

The ultimate decision lies in the hands of the surgeon we select, but I think we need to be smart consumers and explore all options and ask multiple surgeons why their choice is best.
Isn't that the #1 questions in my post "How to choose a surgeon and a prosthesis"?

1. how long have you used your current prosthesis and what are your reasons for having selected it?

I am a little reluctant about the one size (type) fits all idea.
Way back around 1940 or thereabouts, an eminent American surgeon by the name of Dr Austin Moore was quoted as saying "The profusion of designs only goes to prove the fact that no one implant will suit all patients." And remember, this was said years before total hip replacement ever came close to being a reality!

Biomet cobalt/chrome metal on metal on the healed side. On the revision they left the femur shaft in and used a AB impregnated polymer ball with a hand formed AB cement cup.

I asked for and received the metal ball and cup that were taken out upon revision surgery #1. It is surprising how heavy they are and very cool to manipulate as there seems to be so little friction you think they are somehow lubed.

Biomet cobalt/chrome metal on metal on the healed side

That's mine exactly on both hips. I asked for MOM and OS complied. I hope that won't be a problem down the road. I have asked for but still not received from my OS the particulars on my implants. All that I know is that they were Biomet MOM with 54mm and 56mm hip balls.
tom

Biomet cobalt/chrome metal on metal on the healed side

That's mine exactly on both hips. I asked for MOM and OS complied. I hope that won't be a problem down the road. I have asked for but still not received from my OS the particulars on my implants. All that I know is that they were Biomet MOM with 54mm and 56mm hip balls.
tom

My doc told me for a person my size and age (large yet active 54 yr old) he wouldn't recommend anything else. It shouldn't be a mystery.

I went to an ortho clinic in San Diego that had every type of prosthetic implant on display on a counter and you could just pick any one of them up and check it out. They should all be like that.

My doc told me for a person my size and age (large yet active 54 yr old) he wouldn't recommend anything else. It shouldn't be a mystery.

I went to an ortho clinic in San Diego that had every type of prosthetic implant on display on a counter and you could just pick any one of them up and check it out. They should all be like that.

I wish I had that opportunity. I actually requested this type of implant which my OS didn't do too often and, because I had Bilat surgery, I suspect he would not have selected it for me. After some discussion, however, he agreed. I still worry that I will have some sort of reaction to the MOM, but nothing I can do now adn they all have some advantages and disadvantages.
Tom

Please tell me it was to just look at them.

Otherwise, how would the the surgeon be chosen? Would it be like an internet dating thing? :hehe: Seriously, I cannot envisage a) falling into the hands of a surgeon who was trying to do everything - "Jack of all trades" comes to mind (which, as you may recall, ends "and master of none") or b) choosing the prosthesis first and then the surgeon.

And what knowledge and skill would the patient being using to make such a selection?

Sorry, I get skittish about this kind of thing.

Please tell me it was to just look at them.

Otherwise, how would the the surgeon be chosen? Would it be like an internet dating thing? :hehe: Seriously, I cannot envisage a) falling into the hands of a surgeon who was trying to do everything - "Jack of all trades" comes to mind (which, as you may recall, ends "and master of none") or b) choosing the prosthesis first and then the surgeon.

And what knowledge and skill would the patient being using to make such a selection?

Sorry, I get skittish about this kind of thing.

Ahhh, American McMedicine. . .

Would you like to super-size that prosthesis for only $25,000 more, sir?

Indeed, me too. I could just see the sales assistants with their red and white striped paper hats on, smiling inanely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back