graduate
Country
United States United States
Mine is made by Smith & Nephew.

It is commonly called the "Birmingham Hip Resurfacing System"

It is a metal on metal device.

http://www.hipresurfacing.com/surgeons.asp

ai43.tinypic.com_2hfmb9i.jpg

My hip system is the one on the far left.

ai40.tinypic.com_a2dkr7.jpg

So, who made your new hip and what kind of a component is it? I.e., metal on metal, ceramic, etc?

Mine is cobalt chromium ball with x-linked polyethylene cup. Thought I was going to have ceramic ball but OS said he got into size constraints with it once he was in there. Don't know the brand, though.

Mine is cobalt chromium ball with x-linked polyethylene cup. Thought I was going to have ceramic ball but OS said he got into size constraints with it once he was in there. Don't know the brand, though.

Typical hip device using a polyethelene cup, usually use a smaller ball.

ai42.tinypic.com_2vl6sev.jpg

Would still be a Birmingham head. Every manufacturer has the full range available.

Thanks for resizing the images, Jo.

By "Birmingham head" are you referring to any large metal on metal system? I believe the brand name "Birmingham" is a trade name used by Smith & Nephew; yes / no?

Ceramics are really great for lighter folks, lowest friction wear factor of any hip option.

ai44.tinypic.com_29gipft.jpg

ai44.tinypic.com_smautg.jpg

Did you not ever see your hip device before either, Melissa?

I attended a joint replacement class a few days before surgery, they had all of the knee and hip options on display for us to handle, take apart and ask questions about -- It was reassuring to feel how easily my device moved when joined together. Even though it is metal on metal, its REALLY hard and machined and polished to as pefect as humans are capable of. It spun like a well oiled top.

By "Birmingham head" are you referring to any large metal on metal system? I believe the brand name "Birmingham" is a trade name used by Smith & Nephew; yes / no?

No, not at all. Karen said she'd had a plastic cup with cobalt chrome head but didn't know the brand. I incorrently assumed she'd had a Birmingham hip and didn't know the brand of the head/cup. But now I look at it again, I realise she doesn't know the brand period! Silly me!

As for the Birmingham, it was devised by the team at the Birmingham Orthopaedic Hospital here in the UK. It's had several reincarnations over the years! But the Birmingham hip trade mark is owned by Smith & Nephew.

Thanks for resizing the images, Jo.

You're right, Mudpro. The "Birmingham Hip System" is proprietary to Smith & Nephew's hip resurfacing prostheses.

I have Smith & Nephew Anthology stem (titanium), Oxinium femoral head (oxidized zirconium with ceramic surface), and R3 acetabular system (titanium cup with stiktite coating; highly cross-linked poly liner).

ai682.photobucket.com_albums_vv186_CoopPR_Anthologystem.jpg

ai682.photobucket.com_albums_vv186_CoopPR_R3cup.jpg

HI, I havd metal on metal biomet (the one Mary Lou Retton has). I did see the prothesis a couple times before surgery. Any idea how much this weighs??? Will ask at my one yr check in Aug only out of curiosity. Do think about the ions sometimes. But at my age (56) no more babies and think what will be will be. Was told my hip could last longer than I do!!!

Laurie

I have Smith & Nephew Anthology stem (titanium), Oxinium femoral head (oxidized zirconium with ceramic surface), and R3 acetabular system (titanium cup with stiktite coating; highly cross-linked poly liner).

Zirconium, huh? Cheaped out and didn't get the real diamond? ;-)

My hip is Zimmer brand-----ceramic ball with metal / poly cup & metal post.

HI, I havd metal on metal biomet (the one Mary Lou Retton has). I did see the prothesis a couple times before surgery. Any idea how much this weighs??? Will ask at my one yr check in Aug only out of curiosity. Do think about the ions sometimes. But at my age (56) no more babies and think what will be will be. Was told my hip could last longer than I do!!!

Laurie

After worrying about it for a couple of months and reading everything i could find, I asked my doctor about the metal ion issue of living with a metal on metal hip; this is what he said:

"The metalurgy they use today is so much better than anything ever used in the past (apparently they use ot use stainless steel at one time). The metals surfaces now have a high carbon content, making them almost as hard as diamonds, this and the high degree of engineering resulting in minimal wear over 10 - 30 years.

But to be on the safe side, unless a doctor tells you that you need them, refrain from taking daily vitamins containing too many minerals.

Donating blood on a regular basis is not a bad idea either, some studies have suggested this may reduce potential metal ion build up.

Have your kidney function checked regularly, becasue this is the first place a problem would show up"

Apparently there is no conclusive scientific test for metal ion buildup.

Good to know! I have Biomet metal on metal. I feel very confident with
This implant. My OS is the Chairman of
Orthopedics at the major hospital where I had my surgery! Patients come from all over the country just to have consultations with him as he is one of the premier surgeons in the country! He's worked absolute magic for me! I am aware of the metal ion issue, which has just been
Mentioned, I think we all will be monitored in the next couplle
Of years so this will always be taken into consideration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie