What to wear?

Owithurts

Country
United States United States
Hello, I have a probably really really silly question to ask. I will be having a right posterior thr on June 10 and I am trying to figure out what type of clothes would be the most comfortable after surgery. I normally live in shorts during the summer. Would they be an irritant on my incision?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.
Jane

• Agree
Reactions: CPH
@Owithurts
I had a couple of kaftans to wear initially which were nice and light and didn't rub. I actually wore one in hospital as my nightdress too. It was a satin type of material so easily slipped against the bedding. A bonus for getting in and out of bed.
The other good thing about something like a kaftan is that they go on over the head. A simple skirt with an elastic waistband would slip over the head too. Anything that means you don't have to bend to put it on makes life easier to start with.
If your shorts are loose and easy to get on and off then then You could probably manage ok. After all men don't really have the kaftan/skirt option and they do fine.

Hi there... not too long now..until you are a hippie!
I think as long as the shorts are a soft fabric ie not jean material your shorts will be great.
Ive worn soft jeggings & joggers & have had no problem.
Just make sure if you are in the sun that the scar is covered.
There’s no such thing as a silly question on Bonesmart... it’s lovely to be able to ask things that people outside this hippie commune have no idea about.
Ask away... hope the pain is not too bad...x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These first two weeks, I have worn super soft loose pants- almost like pajama pants- but I haven’t left my house.

I would just be mindful of anything too snug where seams could press on the incision.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I wore nice soft sweatpants, made of a soft material and with a waistband that could be adjusted. Very comfortable.

I wore soft legging (loose) capris. A loose soft pair of shorts would work. Anything too snug, (or denim) will irritate the incision as well. I'm still wearing my leggings but they aren't super tight so no irritation. I tried jeans for my first outing and wore them 5 minutes and checked my incision. It resembled a jigsaw puzzle with a lot of irritation! :oyvey:

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I did go out on Amazon and bought some
cheap t-shirt dresses. I am really not a dress person, but I will give it a go.

This forum has helped me out so much and has really helped to squelch my many fears. Thank you.

They will be super comfy and no bending over to put on. Great choice! :flwrysmile:

Welcome @Owithurts. As you can see there's a variety of fashion to choose from. I'm not a dress wearing woman either, I go comfort all the way. I found my husband's shorts were the best going outside. More room and a draw string. I wore men's underwear, not regular briefs. Anyway again more room. My kids look at me saying "you're weird ". Comfort, it's all about comfort. :yes!:

No question seems to be off limits or silly on here. Many of us have already asked those questions years ago or found the answers to our questions in someone else's post. Please ask whatever questions you may have. A lot of what you choose to wear depends on where you live and the time of year. My surgery was April and I live in northern NY state so it is still pretty cool here (40's). I bought a couple pair of inexpensive sweatpants at Walmart in a size larger than I normally wear. They were nice and warm and comfortable. I think your shorts will work just fine as long as they aren't too snug. The t-shirt dresses you got sound good, too.

I also purchased a dressing stick on Amazon. It came in very handy when I went to take the sweatpants off. I could push them off my feet myself without asking for help in those early days before I could bend over that far. That was the only gadget I got and it was very useful in those early days. I made myself a "bag" for my walker so I could carry around a drink, meds, snack, phone, book, etc. That, too, came in handy. Sending good wishes your way....

Wow, who would have thought...boxer briefs! Love that idea. I am going to check into the dressing stick. Now, that is neat.

I do have another question. I have A dental appointment on May 16th for a cleaning. Is that date too close to my surgery on June 10, or does it matter?

Here in the UK we have no restrictions on dental treatment but the US have different rules..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told to have dental work done 2 week prior to surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thank you. How are you doing?

@Owithurts if you want boxer briefs for women you can go to Target, they sell Hanes women's boxers, there's two different kinds, you want the longer leg one. Not sure why you can't get them direct from Hanes but seems they can only be bought at Target. Very comfy and soft.

My soft cotton and shorts with a bit of stretch in them are fine for me. I also got some "lounge" pants from the lingerie department. Like a very soft flowy pant but a bit more 'dressed' than pj pants. You might be able to find those in a shorter style or capri. Yoga shorts are great too! I just got some with a 6" inseam and some capri leggings from Amazon. I don't mind dresses at all so wear a lot of summer dresses; do easy on & off! I wear the yoga shorts and capri leggings with a decent longer top and you almost look put together :)

Taking those throw over the head dresses too since its warmer weather here.
They told me to bring loose comfy pants to the hospital for the PT gym as its coed.
Maybe bring clothes you want PT to show you how to put on---maybe using the unique gadgets they give you...... : )

Dropping by to say :hi:
Tomorrow is your big day. Want to wish you all the best.
We'll look forward to following your journey on the Recovery side :wave:
@Owithurts

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie